Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually like the hyosung bikes. they look like they would be cool to tool around on. and the new gt650x looks TIGHT

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
The wanna be Suzuki SV650/Ducati.....cool. in its own right...but still Chinese product....LOL

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Nope...it's Korean

I work for a dealer ;)

They aren't as bad as some of you may think...I won't go into the Hyosung history lesson and such, but should make it known that until 2002, the company was called Hyosung/Suzuki, and if it wasn't for Hyosung, the SV650 would have never been made. They helped Suzuki greatly in the design and manufacture of many components, and the head designer for the 99-02 SV is Hyosung's top designer. The companies only split in 2002.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would ride one.

endo, have you riden one of the gt650r?

my wife loves the way they look, and thus wants one

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
endo said:
Nope...it's Korean

I work for a dealer ;)

They aren't as bad as some of you may think...I won't go into the Hyosung history lesson and such, but should make it known that until 2002, the company was called Hyosung/Suzuki, and if it wasn't for Hyosung, the SV650 would have never been made. They helped Suzuki greatly in the design and manufacture of many components, and the head designer for the 99-02 SV is Hyosung's top designer. The companies only split in 2002.
OK, my bad Korean.

I'll take your word for the rest of it...I am a 1K SV guy, which is derived from the TL. I am not a 650 afficianado. :D

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
haha fair 'nuff lol.

flint, I haven't yet ridden the GT650 at all (I'm too young for our shops insurance) but if you check out Motorcycle.com, they have a wicked article comparing the SV and GT head to head, with a female rider as well. If you don't have an account on Motorcycle.com (which you need to view the full article), you may wanna look at it, it's only $12 a year, and they send you new articles every week. Well worth the $12 IMO, cheaper than one magazine!

*edit* Linky!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
a couple people near me have them...one kid inparticular.. nice looking bike, his pops and backfires and the dealer told him thats how they are after trying to fix it 3 times...and weird issues like levers braking and mirror mounts cracking etc...

i would think they ride just like an sv..

i think the biggest issue with them, is that they are not suzuki, they are designed after them and made in korea, and the materials they are are not as good of quality as the oem suzuki parts...like the crf50 engines say come in pitbikes...they are not the same thing. that patent laws are differnt over there and they can get away with more...

another problem i would see is getting replacement parts and aftermarket.....as said...it is close to the sv and some parts may work, but i am sure they will have to be modified...

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
+1 what BigRed said. I've heard the same things regarding the lower quality materials and looser pattent laws. How else do you get those cheepo ninja-spinoff scooters that say "NINJA" plastered on the side and are kawi green? Other coutries don't enforce pattents the same way. That alone irks me.

On the hyo, they look killer I'll give them that. But I'd be scepticle (sp?) until I had some good firsthand experience myself. I'll give them a chance, but I'm not on their side yet. Heck, I'm still giving buell a chance... to meet in the middle with suzuki and but a TLR motor in the XB9!:ninja:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^

my next BIG project is a one off custom superlight fighter that uses a real motor (haven't picked the motor yet but leaning toward an r1) and buell frame geometry........ its a little ways off but it'll be SICK

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
An R1 in a buell chassi? I would have thought a twin motor to replace the harley twin would fit better in there. I havnt' had a good close look at one yet though.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Bad thing about US patent laws...only applicable in the US.

As far as an R1 motor in a twin frame...not sure how wide the Buells are, but if they are skinny like the Zuki twins, will never fit. I-4's are wide motors, at least when compared to Jap twins.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
^just buy a vtr1k or sv1k
good to go

Its the buell styling that is attractive, its very much its own. Only other thing that comes close is my favorite bike, the Speed III:D I kinda like the short-stubby look on fighters, it says "nothing but bussiness" ... aw heck who'm I kidding, its one of many styles I like on fighters

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
I definitely think it's sweet looking, but would also be worried about the reliability of it.

However... if you are looking for a bike to make a huge project out of, and are planning on replacing a ton of stuff anyways, that would be a nice platform to work with, as you'd actually have something original.

As mentioned before, I'm sure the aftermarket wouldn't be too great, but for a completely custom bike, I think it could work...

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, I'm not gonna use a buell frame. I'm just gonna copy the geometry in a superlight one off frame.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
For aftermarket stuff, there isn't a lot, but factory support (at least for us in Canada) is more than good. They come with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty, that says something to me.

As far as one running bad and the dealer saying that's how it goes, he's dead wrong. We've never had a performance issue with any Hyosung we've sold. The only "warranty" item we've ever had to deal with was a broken mirror, and I have a funny feeling, that one wasn't the manufacturers fault (funny how those scratches on the side just showed up huh!).

Are they of Suzuki quality, maybe not, but they aren't as far off as some would like to think.

Think of it as Hyundai...for the price, they are a bargain!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
wait a min. i just google searched the gt650x and the only pic i came up with was off a korean or something crazy page that i couldnt read.

whats the scoop on that bike?? is that how it comes from the factory? or is that someones own custom job??

its sure looks nice. esp if thats factory!

i'd be interested to try one out. and agree that it would be a good platform since youd be swapping most of the small hardware theat may be giveing problems anyway!

so whos got specs?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
from what I have read it is a concept bike that is supposed to be very close to production ready for 2007. it came out with another hyosung fighter that was styled in the muscle fighter style that is called the "trend-Killer".

I'll see if I can find some pics of the "trendKiller", its a 650 v-twin with a 240 section rear tire. lol

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

looks liek it might have a bigger motor in it than the gt650.... maybe the rumored 1000 cc vtwin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts