Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
This is great. I'm always worried that when oil is no longer a viable energy source that bikes are just going to get left behind as everyone scrambles for a new one.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
CdnStreetfighter said:
my god...how heavy is it????

edit...nevermind....28 batteries at 6.6lbs = 184.8 lbs

not that bad....so it must be fairly light, what does a regular bike engine weigh + gas?
about the battery weight...
Together, they weigh less than everything that was taken off the bike to make it electric.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I really have no idea. I'm just guessing :p

Educated guesses though. They say the bike's lighter... all you need is more compact, powerful batteries to rival an R1's actual performance.

·
Registered
526 Posts
With that rear sprocket no wonder its top speed is only 100mph...

·
haelo said:
Probably pretty god damn heavy.
Doesn't matter to me though... I want to see more. A leap in battery technology would be all it would take.
Actually there is another way. Batteries are being developed to deliver more energy from compact sizes with lighter materials all the time, but perhaps if some backroom anoraks (geeks) could come up with a revolutionary step in electric motor construction, we could approach the problem from the opposite different angle.

This may sound far fetched, and i'm sure that when Karl Benz scribbled his first conceptual sketches for an internal combustion engine, he took some stick too, but we have to explore possibilities every now and then don't we?

Like the Wankel rorary engine was a leap away from conventionality, and ok it hasn't been widely adopted for sure, but with the inherent construction weaknesses of the rotor seals that existed then, these have been solved as newer more heat/wear resistant materials become available.

So, Norton made a rotary bike and it won races. Mazda sell a rotary powered sports car to this day.

In my time as an electrical engineer I spent many years working with d.c. traction control for powered transport like fork lift trucks and conveyor systems, and also fine speed control for accurate machine tools. On the former, the battery weight is factored in to design as an essential requirement to counterbalance the load to be applied on the fronal area of the machine.

For a motorcycle design this aspect has got to be factored out, also the hassle of energy capacity (bigger battery) to ensure higher mileagle performance also needs to be taken into account.

So heres a proposal that may raise a few eyebrows but what the hell, with out getting our visionary heads on once in a while, we gonna stagnate.

Introducing: The Dasler Magnetron Concept.

As kids, did an of you fool around with lodestones? I did, and I can say I've never come across a more powerful magnet. try one in each hand to force them together (like the opposing poles of an ordinary magnet) and you will see that there is enormous energy there that is freely available from nature.

Fe3o4 is the number of the beast and if we could harness this energy to construct an electric motor for traction, we would have a self contained energy supply within the very construction of the motive power source!

Heady stuff eh? Like all the Arab oil producing nations suddenly become redundant, wow that would make a good headline at the G8 summit lol.

To expand more on the techno side, a simple electric motor works by electromagnetic repulsion to replicate that force as previously outlined, but does it with copper wire windings that are energised from an external power source.

I'll stick with the d.c. theoreticals here as they are going to be more relevant to our requirements. The rotor windings pick up their external power supply through a commutator via carbon brushes, and the field windings (the stator) are also energized (excitation) from the same power source but conditioned by strengthening or weakening the magnetic field to drive the rotor with more voltage applied to increase torque being gradually reduced as the inertia is overcome by increased rotor rpm.

So with the lodestones you have all your magnetic power already on tap, no windings or external power supply required and all you need is to effectively produce a permanent magnet motor construction to deliver the rotational motive force.

Hmmmm. That sounds like a stab at perpetual motion you may say. Well I understand there is "no free lunch" or it's hard to get something for nothing.

But if some boffin wizard put their mind to this, we could have a high speed hub mounted motors with controlled output via something like a conventional clutch before the end of the decade.

Crazy huh???

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
I ain't readin all of this......Footnotes? :LolLolLolLol:

BB_DASLER said:
Actually there is another way. Batteries are being developed to deliver more energy from compact sizes with lighter materials all the time, but perhaps if some backroom anoraks (geeks) could come up with a revolutionary step in electric motor construction, we could approach the problem from the opposite different angle.

This may sound far fetched, and i'm sure that when Karl Benz scribbled his first conceptual sketches for an internal combustion engine, he took some stick too, but we have to explore possibilities every now and then don't we?

Like the Wankel rorary engine was a leap away from conventionality, and ok it hasn't been widely adopted for sure, but with the inherent construction weaknesses of the rotor seals that existed then, these have been solved as newer more heat/wear resistant materials become available.

So, Norton made a rotary bike and it won races. Mazda sell a rotary powered sports car to this day.

In my time as an electrical engineer I spent many years working with d.c. traction control for powered transport like fork lift trucks and conveyor systems, and also fine speed control for accurate machine tools. On the former, the battery weight is factored in to design as an essential requirement to counterbalance the load to be applied on the fronal area of the machine.

For a motorcycle design this aspect has got to be factored out, also the hassle of energy capacity (bigger battery) to ensure higher mileagle performance also needs to be taken into account.

So heres a proposal that may raise a few eyebrows but what the hell, with out getting our visionary heads on once in a while, we gonna stagnate.

Introducing: The Dasler Magnetron Concept.

As kids, did an of you fool around with lodestones? I did, and I can say I've never come across a more powerful magnet. try one in each hand to force them together (like the opposing poles of an ordinary magnet) and you will see that there is enormous energy there that is freely available from nature.

Fe3o4 is the number of the beast and if we could harness this energy to construct an electric motor for traction, we would have a self contained energy supply within the very construction of the motive power source!

Heady stuff eh? Like all the Arab oil producing nations suddenly become redundant, wow that would make a good headline at the G8 summit lol.

To expand more on the techno side, a simple electric motor works by electromagnetic repulsion to replicate that force as previously outlined, but does it with copper wire windings that are energised from an external power source.

I'll stick with the d.c. theoreticals here as they are going to be more relevant to our requirements. The rotor windings pick up their external power supply through a commutator via carbon brushes, and the field windings (the stator) are also energized (excitation) from the same power source but conditioned by strengthening or weakening the magnetic field to drive the rotor with more voltage applied to increase torque being gradually reduced as the inertia is overcome by increased rotor rpm.

So with the lodestones you have all your magnetic power already on tap, no windings or external power supply required and all you need is to effectively produce a permanent magnet motor construction to deliver the rotational motive force.

Hmmmm. That sounds like a stab at perpetual motion you may say. Well I understand there is "no free lunch" or it's hard to get something for nothing.

But if some boffin wizard put their mind to this, we could have a high speed hub mounted motors with controlled output via something like a conventional clutch before the end of the decade.

Crazy huh???

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
READ IT!!

good points BB. electric motors would be crazy in bikes, because like you said, power is always there. full torque always available. . . talk about killer stunt bikes!

:metal:

i didnt hear a single shift in that video... is that now a single gear bike with no clutch???

·
929_adam said:
READ IT!!

good points BB. electric motors would be crazy in bikes, because like you said, power is always there. full torque always available. . . talk about killer stunt bikes!

:metal:

i didnt hear a single shift in that video... is that now a single gear bike with no clutch???
:rock: this place Adam! Ahhh I suppose It's my own fault for posting all the loon stuff I do, but it is food for thought.

And yeah you don't need intermediate gears because as you say the torque is right there and most elctrically propelled vehicles use what's known as stepless pulse control with high speed electronic semi conductor switches known as thyristors as a means of limiting heavy current flows while overcoming initial inertia.

It was just my take on tackling the weight problems caused by the use of traction batteries.

But Fk it, from now on I'll stick with sex, d\rugs, rock 'n Fast Riding!

:shootme: :D

·
Candyman said:
Only bad thing is its kinda anti-climactic when you "fire" it up. Listen to that baby ZING!!
2nd edit: You so right Mr Candyman. I mean, when has anybody swooned over the beauty of an electric motor.

'Till they turn one out that looks like a desmo duc with the sound smell and feel of a petrol motor I'll stick with the old way.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts