·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
So what's up? Hopin' all is ok.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Is this a result of the taste of the track?
If so, I would recommend buying a cruiser as a street ride. It's a totally different ride than a sport bike. When my sportster was mostly stock I'd just hop on and cruise all day. No need to find a twistie road to actually enjoy the bike, no need to crack it open and get into triple digit speeds in no time flat. No passing slow ass moving cars because you are about to come up on the fun section of road and you don't want to miss the chance to lean it over....

Just a whole different side of motorcycling all together. Fun but in a different way than sport bikes.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I agree with that completely. I had a SOHC CB750 chopper that I shoulda never sold. Cruising trying to straddle an I-4 is not the best idea with forward controls, but going slow on that bike was easy. Don't get me wrong, it could corner at speed surprisingly well, but a slow pace ride was just as fun.

Besides, my area is heavy with HD's. So many people would scoff at my little chopper that sounded like a weed eater, but even that was fun to me. Cos I knew I could take 'em. :D

I understand the dangers of the street. But I need long paths of pavement to do what I want to do on a bike. I could never be happy riding the same race track or playing in a parking lot all the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel i should chime in on this being in a good position to comment.
Love going distance on the dyna, its comfy and i can ride all day if my rump will allow it.

I can go a decent ways on my cbr too but it is heavy and big for a supersport. but i still get a drive to want an unregulated clean track surface to push out on.

If thats what the OP is about anyways. if not then nevermind me :party:

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
No desire at all to ride on the street.

Been there for a long time myself, even before this candle: :panzer:

Thing for me is the risk factor, I now how beat up I am, and I do wear a race suit, but I feel like I'm fragile as glass as a rider now and another tumble could be my last before I hang up the leathers for good, so I do what I want to do, ride how I want to ride, and for me the street is no place for that behavior so I stay in lots and open fields as well as the single track trails and the gravel roads. Maybe an occasional back road or two but never really got back into the daily public road foray I used to be so fond of. Kinda curious what caused your desire to disassociate with the public road insanity. Mine was a crash I never fully recovered from and pay for 24/7, 365 ever since. Shit happens, suck it up and deal with it sort of a thing in my eyes, but with that comes a change in lifestyle too, as maybe you experienced?

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Yeah im in the same boat. When i want to ride i break out the 6hp mini that bucks like a bronco with no brakes. Other than that i drive all the time. But then again the mini is the only one running right now.

·
BLACK BELT
7,065 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, my brother.

I know you've had tons of fun riding supermoto and other bikes on the street.

Just curious what's up. Hope you're okay! :knucks:

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was riding my bicycle yesterday and this bitch in a prius hit me and drove away, didnt even stop to see if i was still alive. she was making a right and i was crossing the street on the sidewalk with a green for me. im totally fine but for a second there laying on the ground i thought i was taken out by a prius and it made me really sad lol. i guess that was the nail in the coffin cause ive been not ridding as much as usual lately, i put more miles on my GFs kia than ive put on my motard. with all my tickets (wheelie and speeding tickets) and the few close calls on motorcycles where peoples actions flat out scare me, and worst of all im just not having fun riding anymore.

the whole track thing is a part of it too, i love ridding the track and i want to keep doing that maybe even race next year but thats a whole different animal.

thanks everyone for your concern about me and replies.

5400, all is good man. thank you.

F'dup, when i worked for honda, they would let me take used bikes home sometimes, lots of times shadows and vt1300s and shit. i still wanted to lane split and zoom by people. not sure if that will fix it but it might. plus im too young for those old man toys :D

shiny, the same track isnt the same ride everytime. every corner, you try to do it better, go through it faster, more lean angle. plus theres a few tracks i can get to, NCbike is the closest and they run it clockwise and counter clockwise so that makes 2 tracks in one. i miss parking lot hooning but i dont have any friends that want to do that with me so its not as fun, i do have that 636 tho so if it doesnt sell, a new stunt bike might have to be built

rat, so sorry about your dad. i know it was just the anniversary of his passing recently. must be a tough time. i was never close with my father, and havent spoken in over 5 years now. reading about you and your brother and dad makes me think of what kind of family id like to have one day.

jerry, you just need to get that z1000 back up and riding again and youll have that spark back im sure, you used to love that thing. (that sssa right here waiting for ya ;) )

smoker, ive had a lot of fun and im really hoping this will pass so i can go back to that excited feeling i get on a bike, its not like its the first time i almost get killed by a car driver not paying attention lol

north40, this should be the contagious thing you should be worried about with an ebola man having contact with up to 80 ppl in Texas :run:

·
UTINNI
63 Posts
"north40, this should be the contagious thing you should be worried about with an ebola man having contact with up to 80 ppl in Texas "

bah! Don't watch the news much, always heard ya don't wanna mess with Texas.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Damn dude, sounds like you are having a hell-of-a downer period. I hope it passes. Do what you love and let it cycle back.

I'm glad to hear you didn't get smeared over the road by that Prius driver. Those fools are dangerous around here too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear youve had your taste of fear. I got my father back into riding motorcycle as he hung up the helmet when my sis was about 5 and when i was 3. i vaguely remember his old bike. but he was always working night shift and saw ALOT of deer out where we live. He told me he had decided to hang up the helmet when he became just plane scarred of hitting a fear. he said the fear was his sing to stop. them a few years ago i got my first cycle and he had to drive it home because i had no cycle license.... rabbit trail. Im a bad influence on him haha.
So in a way i can see exactly what you are saying. I collided with an old fart when we both turned into the same lane coming from different sides, i made a bad call in thinking he saw me and wouldnt jump in my lane. my bike got caught on his rear fender well, luckily i kept it shiny side up.
It scarred the life out of me but i love riding too much to give it up, but again that was my first year riding and im still only 21 now, so im stupid and dont have as much fear as i should.
I assume you live in a big city. biggest city population near me is 7k people and that 1 hour away. my biggest fear is wildlife. I can't imagine that many blind people coming at you with high speed steam rollers every time i ride.
Best wishes to you and glad that wretched whale saver didnt bust you up, hope she falls down some stairs.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha I'm only 22. And I still want to ride, just not streets. When I die or fuck myself up in a crash, I want it to be my fault because I was maybe pushing to hard into a corner or thought I can break later than the last lap, not because someone else decided they wanted to go out and kill a motorcyclist that day.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I feel your pain DR.J. Since March when I started riding on the track I've put a little over 1k miles on my other r6. After feeling the rush of a track and doing really well at it it makes the street not only seem 1000000000 times more dangerous but even the twisties don't feel the same. You worry about the lines in the road your bombing through a corner and all you can think about is of there is a car up ahead you're going to run into the back of. To top it off the street is just blah after you've realized what these bikes are meant to do.

I've gone on a couple group rides with my friends but even then I hang back because I know they're not on the same level and WHEN the fuck up they might just take you out too. I still get the urge to ride on the street and every time I do I come home disappointed. When I go out on the street now it's either to go from point A to point B or I just hop on and go exploring. I'll run out to 95 get off on a random exit and get lost for a while.

If you're feeling depressed about riding my advise is jump on the bike turn on some kickin tunes and just go get lost. It's the best way I found to clear my head and make me appreciate the freedom that riding on 2 wheels gives you.

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
i was riding my bicycle yesterday and this bitch in a prius hit me and drove away, didnt even stop to see if i was still alive. she was making a right and i was crossing the street on the sidewalk with a green for me.
Glad to hear you are alright...I think I'd sit in the spot I got hit daily just waiting for that same prius to go rolling through and nab the plate info. Not even to get payback but let the nut know...you f'n hit me and left me for dead. The heck is wrong with people.

I'd probably at least make a sign that said the owner of a prius hit and run left me for dead.

Again glad you're ok. Things come and go in phases for me. I know there will be a day when riding the street just doesn't do it for me, and I'll need a twist on it--sounds like track riding might be the thing for you right now...nice controlled environment.

The more tech we put into peoples hands, tech that is usable behind the wheel, the harder and more risky it will be for bikers.

Glad you can be real about your desire to ride...if I dont feel it, I dont ride...no matter how nice the day is...if I can't hit the road with full awareness, fully rested, and at the top of my game, I dont.

Rubber side down, and hope you keep on-it, at your pace, and on your terms.

Reactions: shinyribs

·
Registered
370 Posts
i was riding my bicycle yesterday and this bitch in a prius hit me and drove away, didnt even stop to see if i was still alive. she was making a right and i was crossing the street on the sidewalk with a green for me. im totally fine but for a second there laying on the ground i thought i was taken out by a prius and it made me really sad lol. i guess that was the nail in the coffin cause ive been not ridding as much as usual lately, i put more miles on my GFs kia than ive put on my motard. with all my tickets (wheelie and speeding tickets) and the few close calls on motorcycles where peoples actions flat out scare me, and worst of all im just not having fun riding anymore.

Dr. Allow me so share my 2 cents, Im 33 now. Ive been riding 2 wheels on public roads for 26 years. starting out doing triathlons and then moving to century long bike rides to over 500,000 miles on motorcycle (sportbikes). I have been hit by a car 3 times on my bike and 3 times on my motorcycle. Ive had about 2 good hard road rashes from bikes and Ive crashed my motorcycle about 4-5 times and on the track about 7 times. And after my worst crash ever (so far) I hit a guardrail and stuck to it. so in the last 3 years Ive riden only about 8 months or so. and during that time I ponderd hard about hainging up 2 wheels for good. But despite all the advice people gave me it was my own thought prosses that led me back to my true love. (2 wheels). Now I never ride in the city and I try to stick to the back roads as much as possible. and be vigilent about cars and how you have to think every single one is going to TRY to kill you.
Now that being said im also preping my next race bike.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rode to my buddy's house today about 10 miles or so away to give him a yoshi muffler to mock up on his new chopper project thing...... yea... I'm pretty much done with the street. Here's a pic for good measure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts