Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the background story. My Dad is a self employed land surveyor. He did some work for a very eccentric man named Marty who owns a really cool marina about 45 minutes from us. Well Marty had this neglected Harley Electra Glide with a sidecar that my Dad told me about. He never got a good look at it though. So my Dad has been helping Marty figure out ways to have fun and bring in business to His marina and also told Marty about me and how much I love bikes. Well in return for doing all this work, consulting and also kinda helping Him with ideas on how to drum up business and stuff, Marty agreed to give me this old Harley, sight unseen.

Fast forward to today. I meet Marty for the first time and He's a great guy. Real eccentric like I was saying, which I love in people. He was wearing orange plaid shorts, an canary yellow M&M Curt Busch NASCAR jacket and a bloody piece of toilet paper hanging from His ear from when He cut Himself shaving that morning. Despite His wild outfit, He was a really funny guy and just salt of the Earth. So were there for a bit talking about Marty's new R/C truck and Im telling Him mines a lot like His and He's asking me how He could turn His parking lot into a giant R/C race track for drag, short course and drifting and all that. He's a big kid at heart.

So finally we go to take a look at the bike. What I saw was totally unexpected and blew me away. First let me say that I was told this was a basket case. Totally rusted from being submerged in water from a hurricane and was so far gone. Everything in pieces. That was not the case. Everything was inside a small CONEX container. The sidecar body is in excellent shape! The upholstery is dirty, but no rips or cracks! Best of all, its a FACTORY HARLEY FLH 1200 sidecar with factory badges!

Then I finally get to see the bike. Its all in one piece! The trans I believe has been taking apart a bit but the bike loos to have rust on the wheels but the paint is in awesome shape! No dents in the body work, and ready to roll out of there! This isnt even the best part. Marty tells me its a Pa. police bike! Then He tells me its got FACTORY REVERSE! THIS stil isnt even the best part. The best part is...wait for it....ready? ITS ONLY HAS 1,999 ORIGINAL MILES!!!! Oh and it also has a CLEAN TITLE.

Can you fucking believe it? I found the holy grail. Never in my life have I been lucky enough to have something this cool fall into my lap. I totally have my Dad to thank for this and MArty as well for being so cool and giving me this bike. He told me He wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and know what they were doing. we were only able to pick up the sidecar today but my Dad and my friend Chop will be going first thing tomorrow to pick up the bike itself. Sorry to disappoint, but the pictures will have to wait until they bring it home.

So get ready everyone. Jackstands got a brand new bag. I have no idea what Im gonna do with it other than probably restore it to rideable condition. Not gonna worry about paint cause it doesnt need it. Im gonna consider it a survivor restoration. I may sell it when Im done. Im confident the sidecar alone in the condition its in would fetch around $5000. If I restore the entire bike and sidecar and sell them, Im thinking it will go for around $12000-$15000. If it does I told my Dad I would buy a used Can Am Spyder and give Him whatever is leftover. He deserves it for helping me so much and my parents are struggling a bit and they deserve a break. I owe them so much as it is and I think it would only be right.

SUPER EXCITED! Stay tuned everyone.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Re: I Found The Harley Grail(My Free 76' Harley FLH)

CL prices for rigs like that around here are MUCH higher. Like, $20K range. Maybe its because we are midway between Sturgis and Milwalkee; even beyond the normal HD premium, anything even vaugely collectible / unusual gets top dollar.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Honestly Seb I dont have anything to base it off of other than similar year and model HD's Ive seen on CL. Ive never seen one lke this on CL before. I really hope I have the resources to restore it back into a condition that will sell for that much.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So this is interesting. I was checking online for bikes like this and there's only one I found and its currently for sale on the Boston CL. Its exactly like mine down to every detail. Fully restored, just under $20,000! It also looks like the more original parts are replaced the more the value goes down. This sucks cause its not like a car or other bikes where replacement fairings or sheet metal etc. Doesn't effect the value so much. Looks like with Harleys even a different tail light other than the factory original decreases the value lol. I'm wondering if I can salvage all these rusted parts.

Gonna be moving this into my friends warehouse up the street. Him and His partner own a garage door business and rent the warehouse. Should be a great place to build this beast. My only concern is that He always gets too carried away with things that involve me. Especially MY leg or MY bike. He also has a tendancy to hack up a bike first and regret it later so I hope He doesn't decide to start ripping up and hacking this rare bike without thinking it through or asking me first. I wouldn't put it past Him, even if I were to set some ground rules. Its a risk but I don't have any other place to work on it. Well Dee. I'm gonna tell Him if He breaks it He buys it lol. That'll make my decision to buy a Can Am Spyder a while lot easier anyways. Pics coming soon guys I promise.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,964 Posts

I'm wondering if I can salvage all these rusted parts.
Dude :D
http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/
http://makezine.com/projects/electrolysis-rust-remover/

I'm gonna tell Him if He breaks it He buys it lol.
Press this on him. If he fucks up an oem part that could be restored? He sources a replacement. Period. If dude really wants to help you, he'll do this right or not at all. Stupid human ego makes folks want to help people to make themselves feel better, not to actually help a person.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Alright alright hold on to ya knickas. Been a fucked up couple days. Busy as shit. Had to take my dog to the emergency vet at 2 am, found out my disability benefits are getting canceled so Ive been scrambling to reapply on top of going to get fitted for my leg. Ill upload the pics to photobucket now. Sorry for the delay, for reals. I know Ive been promising the for a while.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

You know this is just the internet and real life is the priority... right?:truestory:

An acceptable response to the razzing for pics is "Fuck off... I'm busy :p "
Theres real life, then theres the internet...then theres Custom Fighters. Gimme one sec they just showed up in my PB library.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So I really have no idea what I wanna do with this thing yet. Im moving it into my friends warehouse since He offered, its the only place with a roof AND walls, we can have room to work and He desperately wants to build it with me so He can stake claim to it later lol. Were gonna have to see what kinda shape the engine and trans is in. He assures me that even though it was submerged in saltwater the engines gonna be fine cause "its a Harley". I have my doubts.

Anyways if the engine and trans are totally fucked and I cant find replacements for cheap, Im probably going to sell everything as is and but an Impreza WRX with auto trans or put it towards a Can Am Spyder. Depends on how much I can get for the bike and sidecar together. If we can salvage the powerplant then Ill be restoring it to complete factory shape aside from whatever can easily be switched back. From there, who knows? I might sell it and get a Spyder anyways and give my parents the rest of the money, I might keep it for a couple decades and sell it for way more or I might just keep it forever. It all depends on how much its gonna cost me to restore it as well as how much I like riding it once its done. This may not be the bike for me at all. then again Im kinda thinking that this bike has been waiting for me for a while. Stay tuned for a build thread for sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
only thing i can say as a big Harley fan.... please please please don't molest it these old Harley's are becoming hard to get a hold of. slot of them are being bought up and being send out of country.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
only thing i can say as a big Harley fan.... please please please don't molest it these old Harley's are becoming hard to get a hold of. slot of them are being bought up and being send out of country.
fuck that

chop it

you're in custom fighters country now son

of course I kid. but do whatever makes you happy/money

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I was saying earlier if I do decide to keep it and go for a full restoration it will be just that. I know how rare it is and I also know the further away from stock it is, the less it will be worth.

fuck that

chop it

you're in custom fighters country now son

of course I kid. but do whatever makes you happy/money
Lol normally I would agree with you completely, but this bike is different. I dont plan on doing anything to this bike that cant be undone easily. Its gonna get a different seat for sure. A solo seat that fits flush against the frame rather than a foot above it. To me the current seat makes you feel and look like youre riding a very tiny bike and it doesnt look right. Its sticks out like a sore thumb. Im also gonna get rid of the extra lights, saddle bags, etc. and give it a very stripped down and clean look without chopping it up. I mean its a sidecar bike, its gonna look cool whether I keep it stock or go wild with it anyways.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts