Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's a start, anyway - Just bought one of those cheap ass chinese bike motor kits, and intend to put it on something for the hell of it right now, but I'm gonna keep a running thread of it from delivery to installation to every mod I make, just for the hell of it.

I suppose this would also fit in the "joke" section. :doh:

Here's the kit I just bought from ZOOMbicycles.com:

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that was coming... and I was going to post something related as the title, but I figured I'd let that shit pot settle.

In any event, I'm actually going to do this, and unfortunate as it may seem, I'm actually waiting on an answer from my buddy's kid if he wants to trade for a chopper pedal bike (for parts, not the main project).

If he says no, I'm sure I've got a 20" or 24" chassis somewhere that I can start on. I've probably got like 14 pedalers in bits at my Father's house, and I can find them free all the time, too.

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already, certain things are getting changed, such as the fuel tank. I'm either going to do something in-frame, or use the tank from my CM185T. That little thing might be sufficient, but it just doesn't look cool enough on a full-size frame.

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They call it 80cc, so being Chinese, I presume it's a 66cc or so.

Of course, eventually, I'm gonna pipe it and do some dremel work to smooth out the intake (casting flash, etc).

This is probably going to end up being the most fucked up bicycle out there... If it had any use for them, I'd probably install rearsets. :)

As it sits, since 50mph is a goal, and tucking will get me there more easily than anything else, I'm going to have rear pegs for my feet to rest on when I'm throttling.

A guy on Ecomodder offered to help with a fairing, too. I think he's just up the road from me in NY state. Not sure if I'll use one or not.

The basic idea here is to pedal out of town, where noone will bother me, start it up just outside of town (won't idle once I modify the throttle anyway) and take off like a flogged dog.

Regardless of how this turns out, $140 wasn't so bad for a neat little project.

And according to UPS, it's in BC, Canada (Richmond) right now.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
HEMPERIFIC

Reactions: DecepticonDon

·
Resident Nerd
2,409 Posts
also if you hit 50 on one of theese you have bigger balls than me ive hit 40 and i thought i was going to die. bicycle brakes thin rims and etc etc make it an ass puckering experiance!

did you order the 33tooth sprocket? helps alot man

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got whatever comes in the kit, won't be entirely sure until I get it in the mail.

Seeing as how I've done 50 on a fully faired recumbent, I'm fairly certain I can handle 50 on a road bike.

I'm probably not going to use thin hi-speed tires, though. Even though they're lower RR, they're also going to be really dangerous on public roads around here, as they tend to follow cracks in the road. Frankly, I have a hard time following the road between the cracks, as it is. ;)

I was thinking about using a on/off mountain bike frame with either 24" wheels or 26" sport tires.

Thankfully, there's a bike shop in the area that I might be able to get "junk" (read: OEM) parts from, so sourcing stuff to mod and fit to the bike shouldn't be too hard/expensive.

My primary concern are functionality, weight and safety... ought to be fun to satisfy all three.

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! Moped gangs?

I got the stuff, now I gotta find a bike to build...

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd probably wave, and keep on about my business. Unless they started acting all douchey. Then I'd probably slap one of them.

But still, why bother fucking with people who are just out there doing what they do? No good reason for it.

Reactions: McBlacken

·
The Black Arm-y
2,477 Posts
I think it would be rad to do that to a bike, for a fuck around toy.

Of course for adult time I would have my Z but for fun up and down the block when bored, one of those would be rad. Run to the store to get a forty, jump on the moped.

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it would be rad to do that to a bike, for a fuck around toy.

Of course for adult time I would have my Z but for fun up and down the block when bored, one of those would be rad. Run to the store to get a forty, jump on the moped.
I've actually found people that take their homebrew mopeds pretty seriously, and treat them like they're "real" bikes... they even race the damn things, both on and off road, similar to the really old versions of motorcycles back when they still had pedals and raced flat track.

It's only 2.75 HP... so it takes some skill to learn to race effectively.

·
Aspiring Hooligan
255 Posts
any progress on this?

·
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the motor kit, and a sprocket from TXSpeedDemon that will probably work better with a 26" wheel, but not sure if I'm gonna need it.

I scored a free 15 speed road bike that needs some work, but I've been doing other things so this is kinda on the back burner for the moment. I've been trying to get to the bike shop to get a new single speed rear wheel and some chain/chain breaker.

What I intend to do is use the front index for 3 pedaling speeds, and use a single speed rear wheel w/ the motor sprocket on the left side, using their hub kit thingy for now.

I'll throw up a bad pic of the (no suspension) road bike I got shortly. I usually leave for work and it's still kinda dark out, and don't get back from doing stuff elsewhere until it's about dark out. Cell camera don't like dark. :doh:

Reactions: ROBBO
1 - 20 of 23 Posts