Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this light from a car that I want to put on my bike. It is bright as hell. The issue I am having is my brain cant figure out how to mount it. I can wire it in just cant seem to come up with an idea to mount it. Curious what everyone thinks and what kind of material to use. I will also need to make some type of fairing for it I think to protect the wiring and such. Here is a pic of what I have to work with.

Attachments

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,491 Posts
In your picture, is it oriented how it will be installed? Are their holes in the top and bottom? I'd think you could make brackets to use those holes and then a tierod or two on the side to steady it and adjust left and right aim.

Hard to say though from your single image.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The orientation is the way it will be installed. This thing has adaptive lighting meaning it will move left to right( dont think i will use that) It has a gear on the bottom and a pin on top so it can pivot. I will take it a part and post another pic that way too.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I can tell you first hand if its not a sealed housing (most cars are not) you gonna have a lot of light coming back at you. You can wrap the open area between the bowl and lenses with actual duct tape the foil kind they use to seal the HVAC duct joints in your house not the grey woven type but some people have had problems with the heat from the bulb forcing the glue on the tape to out gas which clouds up the lense

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can tell you first hand if its not a sealed housing (most cars are not) you gonna have a lot of light coming back at you. You can wrap the open area between the bowl and lenses with actual duct tape the foil kind they use to seal the HVAC duct joints in your house not the grey woven type but some people have had problems with the heat from the bulb forcing the glue on the tape to out gas which clouds up the lense
I have fired it up with a power probe and no light kicking back. The back is basically a sealed unit with the bulb bolted on. The only opening is on the bottom which has a solenoid for activating the high and low beam function

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
On my 82 cb750. It draws about 10 amps which hopefully will be ok with the old girl
W/V=A ( easy to remember. Think West Virginia)

Watts ÷ volts = amps drawn

Stock H4 would be a 55/60 watt bulb.

60 watts ÷ 14v ( if charging well) = 4.3 amps. So 10 amps is quite a jump. IIRC, these bikes only put out about 15-17 amps total at full steam. The wiring is big enough to handle 10 amps, but I'd wonder about the selector inside the switchgear. I'd definitely run it via relay.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
W/V=A ( easy to remember. Think West Virginia)

Watts ÷ volts = amps drawn

Stock H4 would be a 55/60 watt bulb.

60 watts ÷ 14v ( if charging well) = 4.3 amps. So 10 amps is quite a jump. IIRC, these bikes only put out about 15-17 amps total at full steam. The wiring is big enough to handle 10 amps, but I'd wonder about the selector inside the switchgear. I'd definitely run it via relay.
Good point I am planning on relays and I also have 06 gsxr switches on the bike now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts