1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
The first two are biased toward lighter dirtbikes than heavy streetbikes. And the last two are more for cruisers but can be adapted to streetbikes.

I normally use a rear swingarm stand plus a couple of ratchet straps to a overhead truss in my garage.

Later, Doug

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
this is what u need to fork seals (if thats what u meant by "do my forks". best option but not the cheapest. i personally use the one like the bottom 2 u posted but its really not the best and u have to strap the bike on them, whichs is ok if u got oem heavy steal headers but if u got some light weight after market titanium or stainless steel its a bad idea.

·
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first two are biased toward lighter dirtbikes than heavy streetbikes. And the last two are more for cruisers but can be adapted to streetbikes.

I normally use a rear swingarm stand plus a couple of ratchet straps to a overhead truss in my garage.
Yeah... Some of those would probably be a little iffy as far as the exhaust not lying on te jack and the motorcycle not tipping over for lack of balance. I guess I could always just ratchet strap it to the jack... Not the best course of action, but better than nothing.

The rafter idea was something I considered as I'm going to be swapping my shock also, but my garage doesn't have rafters. I have a strong folding ladder (one of those with 4 pivot points so you can set it up in any shape) I could use to suspend the bike from, but that wouldn't fit in my garage or yard, so if it rained while I was doing this in my cousin's or grandparents' yard and I had to put a tarp over it and leave it overnight, that would be a disaster... They live all have snooty neighbors and I'd never hear the end of it.

Could I use a swingarm stand for the back, and make a stand to hold up the front by the frame sliders, or would that be too much stress on them?
Heck... If I used a swingarm stand for the back, could I get away with a nice heavy duty car jack (with a cushion/wooden block) under the center of the engine, for the front?
Maybe even stick two jackstands under it then to make it more steady?

I really don't want it to fall off the jack, but I'm kind of limited because of my lack of rafters and the placement of the exhaust.

·
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is what u need to fork seals (if thats what u meant by "do my forks"
I meant completely replace the forks, unfortunately.
Mine look like spaghetti.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I meant completely replace the forks, unfortunately.
Mine look like spaghetti.
If ur using stock forks and keeping the original triple trees, that stand in the pics will be perfect. That's what race teams use.

But what u said is enough also, rear stand and car jack under the oil pan will work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your bike have a center stand at all? I've used the center stand in conjunction with the car jack and 2X4 method before on multiple bikes

·
Registered
534 Posts
On my f2 I used a car jack stand under thef center stand and, no flaming here, my wifes pot and a block under the engine. The block hit the fins on the oil pan so the support wasnt the header. It worked for what I needed. Total removal of forks. Not the best but was cheap (I.e. free) and stable.

·
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm gonna' get a rear spool stand and a front triple stand... Will cost a little more than the other routes, but I have two bikes and my uncle has one, so it'll pay for itself in time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts