Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to space out the top rear shock mount on my slingshot a couple inches and so I basically need a block of aluminum with 4 holes drilled through it. I could use steel but I don't wanna add extra weight to my bike for nothing. It's about 4 and add half inches wide, 3 inches tall and a couple inches thick. I have the exact measurements. Since its load bearing I didn't wanna go with dering or any other plastic but maybe it'll be alright? Cause I know a block of aluminum that big is gonna cost a fuck load. The machining work ain't shit but I know the cost of material is what's gonna make is retarded expensive. Please PM me if you think we can work something out. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
You might be able to find a piece of material that size if you ask around for offcuts from machine shops. Send me a PM with dimensions and I'll get a decent machine drawing made up for you.

·
Super Moderator
3,040 Posts
I have a small chunk of 3x1.5" 6061-T6511 left over. I think its 4-5" long.

Will that do the job?

Later, Doug

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Pretty sure I have a block of 6061 extruded bar that size (4.5" x 3" x 3+") at the shop, which I chopped a bit off for my own shock mounting block. Might even be bigger than that. Was saving it for ... something, but now have some other stock I plan on using form shock mounts and such, and can easily pick up more.

Was gonna swing by there on the way home, will grab it and measure if its big enough. If it is, its yours at $3.00 / lb and shipping, no charge for the labor. That's not a 'fuck load', its probably under $30 shipped.

If you want me to mill & drill it to yer specs, that's actually within my competency, I'm better with a mill than a lathe. No charge for the labor, and might reduce shipping cost by dropping the weight.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Pretty sure I have a block of 6061 extruded bar that size (4.5" x 3" x 3+") at the shop, which I chopped a bit off for my own shock mounting block. Might even be bigger than that. Was saving it for ... something, but now have some other stock I plan on using form shock mounts and such, and can easily pick up more.

Was gonna swing by there on the way home, will grab it and measure if its big enough. If it is, its yours at $3.00 / lb and shipping, no charge for the labor. That's not a 'fuck load', its probably under $30 shipped.

If you want me to mill & drill it to yer specs, that's actually within my competency, I'm better with a mill than a lathe. No charge for the labor, and might reduce shipping cost by dropping the weight.
Rep

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuuuuck that's cheap! I'll have to take measurements but I know that sounds really close. For some reason 140mm sticks out in my mind as the width and 120mm as the height. The thickness is the one I can't remember but I don't think its all that thick. I have steel spacers like the kind inside swingarms for the pivot bolt, in the now holding it all together and they aren't all that long. I'm gonna DW tomorrow and have the template made up for it sitting in there so I'll get back with you on that ASAP. Thanks guys, y'all are the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts