Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay boys and girls (mostly boys because I don’t think there are a lot of girls on this site:( ) I need some advice. Before Spyder chimes in with an “I told you so” I will first concede that yes pressing my old stem into the new lower triple would have been a better idea…hindsight is 20/20 blah blah blah:stupid:

Okay new problem; after being forced to cut out my old bearing race (using a dermal tool…pics to be posted) out of the neck of my frame everything was actually looking up. I sunk the new race and set the new top and lower bearings. I then went to bolt my upper and lower trees together and was horrified to find that my new stem was just under an inch shorter than the original stem. So sick to my stomach that I could have made such a rookie and obvious over sight, I am now stuck on trying o find a solution… this is where I open the floor to you all to help me find solution cause now I am fucked and need some serious guidance. I thought about using an angle grinder on the frame neck to shorten the distance but I was told this wouldn’t work…I am just not sure why...any thoughts:confused:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
shortening the frame isn't a good idea, it puts alot of load in a relatively small area.

DO NOT under any circumstances, try and have the stem lengthened. i know, it's been done, but i've seen firsthand the aftermath of a weld letting go on a lengthened stem, and it ain't pretty.

time to swap stems....i'll let spyder do all the "i told you so's"

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
press the stem out and into the new setup if possible, if not.....good luck finding a solution

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Well...... If you do have the stock bearing race out. See if you can get another one and have it pressed into the frame. lol if you try and shorten your frame to fit that short stem, Ill personally fly to whereever you are and bitch slap you myself.

If you press the new bearing race in yourself, get a salomander heater and set the neck about 2- 2 1/2' away from it and let the neck heat up real good. That will expand the hole and make it alot easyer to slip that new bearing race in. Id use a steel plate on the top and bottom and a HUGE C-clamp. Set the race on, put a steel plate under the bottom of the neck hole, put on the C-clamp, put the 2nd steel plate over the bearing race and snug it in.. MAKE SURE ITS SQUARE WITH THE HOLE!

If you try to force it in crooked itll get fuckin stuck, and it'll be a bitch to get out. Get some thick welder's gloves and leave everything in front of the heater, and work that bearing race in till its bottomed out. Leaving it in front of the heat with pressure from the C-clamp will help it slip in better..

Good luck.

I told ya so lol

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If you can't find a longer stem that will work in the application you have. Your stem can be safely lengthend,but probably not by you.
Take it to someone that does driveshaft work have it cut in the middle and a slug machined that is a press fit. Press the two ends over the slug and have it welded. It will work it just has to be done right. I have cut and slugged frames on everything from motocrossers to roadracers before you could buy everthing.If you need me post me here or contact me through http://www.bluebeardgrafix.com

hope it helps.....bluebeard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts