Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I was trying to put together my new front end and attach it to the frame...but low and behold the sleeve off the top triple bearing is still in the neck of the frame...so i say meh and try to pull it out, but it ain't going anywhere, so I bust out the long screw driver and hammer and try and hammer it out...still nothing, I get out the crowbar and try to pull it out....failure again...my kingdom for a bearing puller arghh…2 ½ hours later I am no closer to attaching my new front end and I am pissed off…

so my question is does any one have any home remedies to fix this problem so I can avoiding going out and purchasing a $100 tool that I will only use once or twice…because if you do I am all ears
:confused:

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heat causes things to expand...but soften...interesting idea...and i have already sprayed it down with a heavy duty de-greaser...i don't have a heat gun but i could get my hands on one

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
The degreaser will make it tougher to get them out because you're increasing friction by removing the lubricant.

As for the heat... heat gun won't get it hot enough to soften the metal... won't even make it glow. The bearings are interference fit when they're installed meaning the bearing outter race is a couple "thou" bigger then the sleeve it fits into. The sleeve is heated and the bearing is cooled, then they are quickly fit together.

The whole idea is that the steel bearing will not rub on the aluminum or steel block (neck) which will ruin both the bearing and whatever it's installed in. Heat will expand the block faster then the bearing because it's closer to the heat... but you cannot get it to hot or you'll ruin the paint. Never go above aprox 270 F.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
Using heat to get bearing races out is a tradition amongst mechanics, passed generation to generation.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
lol Dude..

Press the stock stem out of the stock lower tripple and press it into the new lower tripple. Then you can use your stock bearings, bearing race's, stem, top nut, washers and dust covers for the bearings.

Thats what I did to mine.. I got an '04 R6 front end on my '89 FZR 600. It bolted right up after I had the stem swapped.

Its alot easyer and alot less pain to deal with.. A machine shop would probably do it for you for about $40. Only takes a second

·
Registered
97 Posts
spyder said:
lol Dude..

Press the stock stem out of the stock lower tripple and press it into the new lower tripple. Then you can use your stock bearings, bearing race's, stem, top nut, washers and dust covers for the bearings.

Thats what I did to mine.. I got an '04 R6 front end on my '89 FZR 600. It bolted right up after I had the stem swapped.

Its alot easyer and alot less pain to deal with.. A machine shop would probably do it for you for about $40. Only takes a second
+1

I did the same thing when I swapped an F2 front end onto my old EX500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts