Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... I have a pretty good hook up in the machine shop world of things but what I need now my buddy's cant make.

I need a 15 tooth 520 front sprocket for and FZR 600 with an 8mm offset so move the chain away from the motor.

I have a spare sprocket I can send out for the shaft cut design, but I need it back.

EVERYONE is telling me to go to Sprocket specialties, saying that they will make me one.. But everytime I go to there fucking site I get a list of other companys that make sprockets..

Ive send an e-mail to every fucking company that makes them and noone is giving me any answers.

Theres shit out there thats a hell of alot more complicated then what Im fuckin doing. Does anyone have a direct number for this place or know of anyone that will fuckin help me? This is the only thing stopping me from getting my R6 swingarm machined and put on the damn bike.

I hada bunch of people tell me to go buy a 15T 520 sprocket and take my spare one, cut them both up and weld them together..FOR FUCKING $300 THEN ANOTHER $80 FOR HEAT TREATMENT

Are you insane?? I could do that myself..

Anyone know a company that could make me this from 1 piece of metal?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Can't help you with how to get what you want, but I'm not sure I'd go with the welding route. Even with heat treating I don't know if I'd trust a part like that to be welded.

If you just need the sprocket to be set out from the engine a bit could you just get a bushing machined to fit between the sprocket and engine? Or would that not work?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
380 fucking dollars!?!?! holy crap. I'd say to go with the idea of combining 2 sprockets. its easy, especialy since its a 15 tooth (dividable by 3, thus it'll be fine a self centering 3 jaw chuck)

find a local job shop with a wire EDM. they can cut the splines, then locate the center of the hole on the CNC mill and machine the teeth. then take it out and chuck it up in a lathe and cut the faces. none of those ops are hard to do, but it will take money. setup fees, design fees, programing fees, plus the hourly rate. and I'll tell you that it will probably cost more than $380.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what Im saying... I could do that myself but Im not gonna go buy a new 520 sprocket just to cut it up and try to make it fit.

A buddy of mine works in a machine shop and they got a wire machine there. Ill ahev to look into it more and see if they can do something. I just wasnt sure if anyone had a number for sprocket specialties or not

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
if you cant put an 8mm spacer behind the sprocket...how are you gonna offset it with enough thread left to put the nut on???

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
katana john said:
Would a 8mm spacer between the sprocket and the wheel work?
No I had to move the sprocket on the rear wheel in

tblumer said:
You can contact my buddy Dan over a KOS Racing, he has a machine shop and loves to do prototype work. Check out his site.

http://www.kosracing.com/
What do I do... call the contact number and ask for him or what??

·
May be a cannibal?
109 Posts
Drop him an email, he's quick to respond. I'm pretty sure he's not at the shop now. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and give him a heads up.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Sproket specialties is crap. They do not make steel sprokets any more. Last year they went under new ownership. A lot of there stuff is now outsourced. And all there odd ball rear sprockets are only cut in aluminum. Spyder, your best bet is grab your sprocket and do some research here. http://www.jtsprockets.com They give measurments for all there sprockets. for example:

You may be able to find something close. Although the offset is probably going to be your bigest hurdel.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Ive read alot where people cut one sprocket and weld it to the new sprocket......I dont see why it would be a problem? You cant bring the rear sprocket in anymore and just use a bigger outer spacer to make up the slack?

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dudad said:
You cant bring the rear sprocket in anymore and just use a bigger outer spacer to make up the slack?
I cant bring the rear in anymore..... lol Ive gone as far as I can already by flipping the rear sprocket over giving me another 1/8" movement.

With an 8mm offset in the front I'm looking at 1/8" clearance from the chain hitting the tire. I wont go any closer then that.. So yeah, I need the 8mm in the front.

Ive looked at JT sprockets already, they dont have anything that I need. Ive looked everywhere.. Ill just have to figure something out I guess....

I just dont understand man, all these fuckin company's can make the wildest shit from 1 piece of metal.. Even 4 inline sprockets side my side with an offset, thats totally hollow'd out inside.. But I cant find someone to make this fuckin thing. Bullshit!

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
I always machine an inner (splined portion from one sprocket) and make a "hub" to space the outer (toothed portion) the desired amount. It works good, as long as the "hub is roughly the thickness of the original sprocket itself. Yours will be no problem with side loading as you only want 8mm. We've gone as far as 1.25 inches with an outboard bearing and support system. The only hard part is alignment during welding, but if you do it in a lathe, use a tig welder, and take your time you'll be fine.

Most proficient machine shops will do this for you (not likely cheap, but not far off a custom sprocket price. I would also suggest having the shop make two to save time when that one craps out.

Glen.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
My boss had to have a similar thing done with the front pully on his Road Star. He went with a s 240 single sider. Had the front pulley cut in the center and moved out 5/8". They ended up just welding it back together. Ran him about $225 though. And that was the buddy price.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
just remember, you don't necessarily need a sprocket from an fzr 600. just a 520 15 tooth sprocket that is from the same material. you can machine the original down for the inner and the other one down for the outer. the sunstar chromoly ones go for like 13 bucks on ebay. I think sprocket specialties go for like 30 or so

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fslflint said:
just remember, you don't necessarily need a sprocket from an fzr 600. just a 520 15 tooth sprocket that is from the same material. you can machine the original down for the inner and the other one down for the outer. the sunstar chromoly ones go for like 13 bucks on ebay. I think sprocket specialties go for like 30 or so

Yeah I know.. I might go and get a couple from a local shop

1 - 20 of 25 Posts