Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a headsup for those that don't know, I'm in school right now doing my Motorcycle Mechanic's Certificate (qualifying me as a first year apprentice, not quite at the bottom lol).

So we wrote our first semester final today, and got our up to date average.

Wrote 84% on my test today, which is okay, but there was some bullshit questions, I won't get into that.

My overall average is 89.3%. Also good, I'm relatively happy, but DAMMIT I WANTED A 90%! 0.7% dammit...

Anyways, that's my news of the day...

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope...better :D

NAIT Fairview in Northern Alberta. The location sucks, but it's got smaller classes, the same or better instruction, more one on one, and it's oh, $25,000 cheaper!

We have the full meal deal --> dyno, machine shop, huge main shop, specialty tool room, 200+ bikes to choose from to work on (a lot of which are Suzuki and Harley donations. We have 20 something different GSXRs/Busas alone!)

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Good job bro !! maybee I'll go back to school soon; when i retire :wtf:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, I won't...its 3 blocks haha

The certificate program that I'm doing is 28 weeks. We just finished 14 weeks, now we have two weeks for Christmas, then back for 12 weeks. Then we work until fall, get the hours, and come back for 2nd year, which is 8 weeks. Work again, come back for 3rd yr (6 wks), and 4th year can be taken directly following 3rd, for 6 wks. It's confusing, but it'll all work out!

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
when you say work, do you mean they place you in an internship style environment?

Sound pretty cool, Do you still have time to work full time while going to school or schooling takes up all available time?

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
School is full time...there's guys working part time jobs and shit, but their marks are 20% below me lol. For "work" you are an apprentice under a licensed journeyman. In my case, I currently work in a small shop (www.universalcycle.ca) and my current boss is going to apprentice me. I'm the P&A guy right now.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
This is where I met Endo, we're in the same class, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Unfortunately I'm about 6% behind Endo Do'h! But I knew he was a better mecc... (I can't spell it either) then I was when he got here.

Like he said the location sucks but we're almost done. It's a 28 week course and we've completed 16 of those weeks. Two weeks off for Christmas and we're back into it.

We wrote our final today, as mentioned above. We're completely done now until Jan 2nd when we're back into classes. And afterthe test some of us got together and went back to the classroom where we watched World's Fastest Indian with both our instructors on the projection screen. It was a lot of fun, and they seemed to genuinely appreciate having us there. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm looking forward to next semester. I'm also looking forward to getting home after 16 weeks. Haha.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
you guys finding anything to keep you warm at night up there?? :D

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
You guys got a great thing going !! Lucky you found your passion in life early and are persueing it !!...........RESPECT ! :mk:

I know who to throw my questions about gixxers too now :D

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
good stuff! always good to hear about people joining the ranks.

just don't get all dumb and start your own shop....damn it's a headache....

then again, don't know if i'd trade it for a "real job"

just out of curiosity, how's the work load up that way? seems the farther north i go, the shorter the "season", and i end up working on snow mobiles, which i hate almost as much as jet ski's. i only ask cuz i'm thinking of moving north again, though not that far north.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Calgary (where I am) fuckin rocks. Our shop never touches sleds, and very very rarely do we do quads. I love my shop. And I will be a dumbass one day and own my own shop...lol

The industry in Canada is in desperate need of people...hardcore. Every shop I've talked to would take someone, this second.

Just think, between skr00z, myself, and Curtis (mechanic buddy at work, good shit), we'd have one kick ass fuckin operation!!! lol

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
929_adam said:
you guys finding anything to keep you warm at night up there?? :D
I have a big blanket? lol

There's one chick in our class, sorta cute, I guess, but not my type. Plus, I'm (hopefully) getting engaged next Friday so that's a no no. A few guys I know have found chicks (my roommate for one), but I am fine with the knowledge that I have a lingerie model sleeping in my bed when I get home!!

:evilred:

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
Lotsa shops in the southern Ontario region lookin' for real mechanics. Not the greatest pay (around $18 - 20 / hour) but a good honest living workin' on stuff you like!! Lotsa snowmobiles though, I fuckin' hate working on those things too. Everything's rusty or siezed!. Big money in sledz though (if you have your own shop) couse' they're volitile as hell and people like to stay warm by adding alcohol to their blood streem (it works!!!). If you stay out of the "snowbelt" areas you won't get as many sledz. If you ever need any more info. about local shops here PM me I might be able to help out.

G.

:cfrocks:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Green Lantern said:
hey endo,when you come down here is she coming with you

and if u start a shop,your gunna need a pimp-dizzle welder:metal:
Yes she is and yes I will lol

And G-Style - I'll be staying in Calgary for a while from the looks of things, but I have a few classmates from Ontario that are looking for good, reputable shops to apply at. I know Calgary inside-out and backwards, but I've never even been to Ontario. Would you be able to PM me a few details to pass on to the guys?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
G-style, where are you from in Ontario? I went to school in Hamilton, and my wife is from over near London.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts