Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody auto correct ;-)

I meant full Motard :thumbsup:

Since I sold my gixxer1100.... not posting photos as I may get bike sick ...

I been looking into the motard, sumo, tards supermoto or whatever you want to call it.

Have looked into a few,

Top racing class level >>>> husks, bergs, KTM,s etc
The down side would be reliability & maintenance (IMO)

Then into the compromise >>>> DR400SM, WR450's etc etc.
but the DR seems a to be a little too small for my frame & havent been able to find a WR that was nothing than a off road trashed bike with a bad sumo conversion done.

BUT, now I am really considering the Commuter, boring on stock set up, reliable and known to be unbreakable XT660X.

Specially since I converted a mate's XT660x from a twin high mount muffle to a single low mount

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIhI2IXdXWQ

had ridden it a few times since and I can't help to think it would be a cool bike to have and a few mods, (USD forks, better rear suspension and some cosmetics) would make it a hell of a sumo that can do the lot.

does anyone here have any experience on XT660's ?

my closest thing to it was a Tenere xt600 1989 EX Australian desert racer. was a good bike until I tried drag race a V8 and 2nd gear slipped causing the piston to have a tea party with the valves.

Currently I have a XT660X black on black on my sights so any comments on heads up what to look for would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
You must be Fuggin massive, because i'm 1.93 and 100kgs, and i fit a DRZ SM fine. Ultra reliable, and with a flat slide/airbox/pipe, it was heaps of fun.
Then i had a KTM 640 SM paint shaker, that was a DRZ on steroids, bigger, felt a bit heavier,but was another level. Another level in maintenance too, but i did 22,000ks in one year before it needed a rebuild ($2200) at 42,000ks. So not too bad, really.
i took a test ride on an xtx, and it was far too much of a commuter bike for me. I had a gsxr 711 for about 10 years (it was in rapid many years ago) so you may feel the same way.
depending what your budget is, ride an MT09. It has the same seating position as the KTM640, but with 120HP. its a brilliant bike for the money.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mate

I felt like riding a minibike on the DR, didn't feel comfortable and I will do some commute so maybe the set was little to narrow for my liking also.

Nice bike tho, cornering was a pleasure with it

budget now is round the 5K mark, MT09 sounds nice but far from my budget now

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was surprised that a learner legal bike (the drz) had me grinning like an idiot whenever i rode it. I'd been riding for 15 years or so before i owned one.
the japanese singles are built for reliablity, the euro ones are more concerned with performance.
If you could take some weight off the xt, and do the usual single cylinder tricks of flatslide and open airbox and pipe, it could be kinda fun.

I bought my KTM 640 for $5 grand, by the way. Theres a few on bikesales for that price range.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to that point in life that it is not the top speed but the handling and the amount of fun you can have that counts. plus the dirty stuff can also be fun.

The dual pipe to single mod we done on the video managed to shed 12Kg (maybe more) of unnecessary Japanese steel.

I think the XT have so much potential if modded well.

which state are you in ?

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
holy shit dude, that thing looks awesome .....

must say , when I read your post I though, is he serious ? Kwaka versys ...... but fooooook.

thanks for posting it

·
Registered
239 Posts
After my 640SM needed rebuild, I went to work bitching and moaning, and my boss said, we've talked about it before, this is your budget, go get a company bike.
I bought the Versys for $7000 with 8000ks, original tyres, original 25 mm chicken strips. I put a t box, renthals and barkbusters on it, rode it like it wasn't my bike, serviced it on time, and it never let me down.
I traded it in for $4700 with 38000ks on it 18months later. It's for sale at team moto in Blacktown at the moment.
It surprised me with how well it handled. I think the suspension on it is better than the MT09. For a bike made in Thailand, it's better than it should be.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i'm a professional delegator.
A project manager looking after office fitouts, the bike is easier parking, and great for getting paperwork and cheques were it needs to go quickly. One of the other guys has a ute, he can carry any big stuff.

And yep, thats my old one. I've got enough info about it to be able to give you some good bargaining power if you wanted it. Sill got the log books and another key, too.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate, I will keep that on the back burn, lets see what happens in Newcastle this weekend

going to check a few bikes up that way ....got paid today and I am taking the trailer with me so chances are I will have a bike next week.

2X xt660x
1x DR400SM
1x Husq 610SM ***************** top on the list
1x KTM 640SM

busy Saturday

·
Registered
239 Posts
That sounds like a fucking awesome way to spend a Saturday.
The husky 610 would be at the top of my list, too.

Depending on what you weigh (I'm about 100kgs), you may need the front fork spring redone to really have fun. The 640 was sprung for a 65kg rider, whenever i used the massive 320mm front rotor in anger, the front end dive was scary, it really pushed the front end. I spent $500 on springs and a new valve stack, and it felt like a new bike, speed bumps at 60ks like it was flat ground, and i could grab a massive handful of brakes and throw it through a corner, fucking brilliant.
i miss motards.

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sitting on 95 ... maybe a little more after the lunch I just had ..... burp ....

but whatever I get It will need some suspension work I guess

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no luck on Saturday....

the 2 xt's that they were trying to sell for six month got sold last weekend.
SM610 dude put a deposit on it before I got there
The DR400 ( privet sales ) wasnt a Motard so a DR400E not a SM ....
and the KTM was realy bad.... trashed and expensive ....

back to zero ...

·
BAD MOTHER FUCKER !
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just because everything I plan does not happen ... wonder why ???

The good bikes were too expensive ( to the point it was easier to save a bit more an buy a brand new one) the cheaper ones were a bit dodgy so the plan now is save us, or wait for my share market venture to pay up ;-) and buy a brand spanking new one.

SOOoOOOoOO

Meanwhile, I can not go with out a bike, so I got myself a Farmer's wife spec DT200R road legal and registered until September

and I must admit I was impressed with the 200cc smoker, sprints pretty quick 0-100 (60)

took it on the bush behind my house and it was soggy and muddy so you can imagine how I came back home .... could not stop smiling

Rego will cost peanuts per year as it sits under the 225cc bracket, only a small fraction of what my 1100cc was costing me.

Then after about 26 hrs I got the bike home I had this on order

It will have a 100/80 17" Front X 130/80 17" rear

maybe try a 110/70 17" F X 140/70 17" R lets see what will fit.

Next on the list, USD forks, cosmetics, new (reshaped) plastics, stunt bits ... Full clean of the oil smoker, tune etc etc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts