Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Went for 7 hr ride back in September with a buddy of mine. Started out gray skies and ended up riding in the rain for about 30 to 40 miles. Got home and parked it. Got up the next day to go riding. Looked at sight glass to check oil level. And it was milky yellow looking. Did some poking around online. Was either moisture in the oil. Or coolent. Ran it thinking it would burn off the moisture to no avail. Ordered new gasket. Drained oil. Cleaned the sight glass and housing. Reinstalled it. New oil and filter. 200 mile ride. Yellow crap in sight glass again. Looked at overflow. And it's low. My question is. Can I replace the head gasket, cause I'm sure that's what is now. Without pulling the motor? 91 zx7r.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Pull the motor, going to be quicker in the long run, and its going to take 3 or 4 oil changes before all the coolants out and you start getting clean oil when you drain it so do an oil change after each ride. I personally just do an oil change with used oil just to make it cheaper. BUT IT HAS TO BE A DIESEL BLEND OIL SO THAT ITS FINE FOR WET CLUTCHES. So new filter the first time and used oil 3 or 4 times, then new filter and new oil once it stops draining out milky. And in very short intervals, like 20-30 min ride, then change the oil and repeat. Also, its not fun but I like to do it when he motors hot so its nice and thin.

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
why not if it's a dry clutch?

but pulling the engine will be better, gead might be needing to machine anyway

·
Registered
740 Posts
Use diesel fuel for "flushing" a motor. Drain the frothy oil, refill to normal level with diesel, idle the engine for maybe 30 seconds, drain, do it again until the diesel comes out clean (greenish like coolant, if it's standard dyed highway fuel you'll get from a pump). Diesel is cheap, and you can take the dirty diesel that came out of the motor and dump it in your heating oil tank.

Sometimes on small thumpers you can get the head off with the motor in the frame, but it's pretty unlikely that's the case on an inline 4. Usually one head bolt gets stuck on a frame rail, or if it uses studs, you can't slide the head up high enough to get it off the studs in the frame.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Oil from a car? No way
Good catch, I should have clarified sorry, I edited original post. I use used Rotela T from vehicles we work on. Its a diesel blend so its just fine for wet clutches. Then I just run it like 15 min at a time then drain and repeat. Always worked for me and never had an issue. I just do it to save money because 4+ full oil changes in 1 day just to get the coolant out of the motor gets expensive lol. But not everyone has 20 gallons of used oil laying around at any given time like I do sense I just steal it from the fams shop.
I actually run it specifically for the wet clutch in my motocross bikes, I like the way the clutch acts with it. Plus its not crazy expensive like some "motorcycle oils."

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
understood. I don't split hairs with oil. It's kind of a big deal. Not saying motorcycle oil is the only option but if you don't understand what makes it different... better safe than sorry

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I get ya, makes sense. Besides using that to clean out my motors I run maxim4 in my street bikes. Nothing special but its treated me well.

·
Breaking shit...
3,296 Posts
I think I read here in the forums that diesel blend oil typically lacks the friction modifiers found in most auto oils (particularly high grade synthetics) so it works better with wet clutches by giving a more positive engagement instead of slipping under load.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Lots of farm equipment and earth moving equipment have powerplants with wet clutches that share the engine oil with the drive systems. You can never go wrong with diesel oil. I run Rotella in everything I own. $12.99 / gallon and available at Walmart 24/7. One jug fits all, no need for oodles of different oil jugs laying around the shop.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lots of farm equipment and earth moving equipment have powerplants with wet clutches that share the engine oil with the drive systems. You can never go wrong with diesel oil. I run Rotella in everything I own. $12.99 / gallon and available at Walmart 24/7. One jug fits all, no need for oodles of different oil jugs laying around the shop.
It's a wonder motorcycles managed to work fine for 100 years before some marketing executive "invented" motorcycle oil, huh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts