• Buell XB12s

Votes: 7 36.8%
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again ;)

SO what's going to be different this time around? First off I want to use consistent bolts across the whole bike as I'm completely sick of switching between hex and allen head.

Secondly, I'm gonna go with keyless ignition purely because the lock mount on my top triple is buggered and I don't want to buy a new one.

Finally I'm gonna try to keep track of $$$ spent, mostly out of interest and to try to keep costs down.

So here's the bike as she sits

To get the ball rolling I whipped up some quick and dirty headlight mounts using some spare aluminium and what was left of the headlight bucket for sizing.

And after some angle grinding and hand filing

Finally got round to cutting off the fairing stay tabs which let me mount the headlight nice and tight to the frame.

Just need to clean up the finish of the brackets with some sand paper but can't get over to the hardware store till my new helmet arrives #BikeOnlyLife

Gonna be making a running gif of the build so at the end I'll have a nice time lapse of all the parts going on.

Finally thanks for all the support fellas, it's a seriously great community here :rock:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was gonna rig an overhead camera to do something like this with my Honda but I failed to remember not to forget. Glad to see you bouncing back on this so quick!

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was gonna rig an overhead camera to do something like this with my Honda but I failed to remember not to forget. Glad to see you bouncing back on this so quick!
Being stuck at home for a few days with nothing to do has defs boosted my productivity. Gonna be butchering the triple clamp next then getting the powdercoat blasted off for a nice bare alu finish.

I've also been having a think about new seats, I really like the look of the one off the Buell XB12, although the duc monster is also nice. What do you guys think? What's you're fav seat/tail?

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chopped the ignition bracket and went to whack the triple back on the bike at which point I noticed it was massively skewed, one side was easily 5-10mm out of alignment with the other.

But about half an hour with a hammer and mallet later:

Went on alright

My current plan is to mount the dash right between the upper triple and the headlight and mount an anti-vandal switch in one of the bar riser holes to control the keyless ignition circuit.

Also my clutch MC is completely rooted so I'll need to source one of those. Anyone got a spare? ;)

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
if it's broken, you built it up to be stronger and cooler.

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tank has arrived :)

Cost me $50 + $40 for shipping and $30 for a locksmith to cut a key for the new cap. It's got a couple minor dings but is in great condition overall and came with a fuel pump which is a nice bonus. Most tanks in Aus are listed for ~ $350 without a pump.

I've ordered a new headlight and all the parts for the keyless ignition, hopefully they will arrive in the next week or so.

Here's the new progress gif:

And the running cost total:

1. Tank - $120
Total: $120

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what have you done to those middle two pics? really cool shots
Lens blur function on the Google Pixel. App is available for some other android phones as well if you want to give it a shot, it's available over on the XDA forums under the name 'Google Camera Mod'.

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seat arrived :)

Ended up going with an S2R seat for a few reasons, one it was $100 cheaper than the Buell seat would have been and 2, I have a mate with an S2R whose brain I can pick about the subframe. So without further ado:

I reckon the lines work really well and the Duc seat meshes perfectly with the 6th gen tank.

New dash arrived and I picked up the relays and switch I need for keyless start, just waiting on the module itself.

Progress gif:

Running costs:
  1. Tank - $120
  2. Headlight - $40
  3. Seat - $140
Total: $300

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
Man that seat looks spot on, like it was made for the bike! Kudos for keeping up!

·
Figuring it out as I go
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wired up the keyless ignition, works great.

The circuit is comprised of a keyless door unlocker for a car, three DPDT relays and a latching switch.

The relays are necessary as the door unlocker only grounds the unlock/lock wires for a second rather than toggling them on and off. Wiring diagram will explain it better than I can with words:

Haven't wired in the battery saving sensor wires yet as one will need to go into the brake light.

Currently, when the keyfob is in range, the LED on the key switch is illuminated and one side of the switch is grounded. When the switch is toggled it grounds relay 3 which sends power to the rest of the bike. When the keyfob is removed from range, the lock signal is sent, relays one and two toggle and the key switch is ungrounded, in turn toggling relay 3, cutting power. Hopefully that makes sense :thumbsup:

Running costs:
  1. Tank - $120
  2. Headlight - $40
  3. Seat - $140
  4. Keyless kit - $40 + Switches & Relays - $30 ($70)
Total: $370

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
That's more or less the exact same setup as I have, the keyless module is precisely the same but the relay setup is slightly different. Might I ask who made the system?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts