Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Metal Slime
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.
I want to post a review of my helmet because the only review on it that I saw was on revzilla.com That site is great for video reviews btw. I've had several other helmets to compare this Icon to. But this Icon Airmada is my favorite by a long shot and it took a long time to find a lid I like. My previous helmets: HJC AC-12, Sparx S-07, AGV K4, Scorpion 700.

Internal Shape: Oval. Not like HJC or most other lids.
Fit: On the small side. I ordered the correct size and its tight but in the right way.
Vents: OK. The chin vents are good but nothing else to write home about.
Shield: Anti-fog coating actually works! Shield lock works, is awesome.
Style: Poor-man’s Arai. Looks great.
Liner: Comfortable. Smooth. Thick pads!
Inside: Fits super SNUG. Also good size top to bottom. Chin doesn’t hang out.
Noise: We ride streetfighters. It's gonna be loud.
Graphics: Can’t say. Mine is all plain white.
Drawbacks: Shields and graphics are kinda pricey. Need extra side plates for extra shield.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've found Icon helmets tend to run a teeny bit on the small side. When I first got my Domain 2 several years ago, I got the size I normally order, large, and almost sent it back when I got it, it was really snug. After a few rides it broke in and loosened up a bit and fit perfect.

Recently more helmet manufacturers are offering models with more of an oval shape to better suit Americans.

If your helmet wants to rip your ears off when you put it on or off, you probably need a rounder shape. Conversely, if you feel pressure mostly on your forehead or tend to get headaches after a while, you need a more oval shape. webbikeworld rates most popular brands and styles for their relative internal shape.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Thanks for the review. Its time to retire the airframe and I have narrowed my decision down too either the airmada or the nexx xr1r carbon next.
The icon decimates the nexx in terms of price and grafix, but fuck me! 1200g is light as shit and the nexx has the super cool large x huge view port allowing you to keep you chin tucked more

Decisions, decisions

·
Metal Slime
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Team Oval Head!

Yeah the Airmada is no feather-weight. But the aerodynamics seem to be more comfortable than my AGV. I mean some helmets want to fly at one specific angle at freeway speeds. This Icon doesn't have that.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
yea that was a big problem i had with the airframe too. every time i would come outta the tuck, the wind would try to pop the helmet off my head

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just picked up an Airmada to replace my old Domain 2. Odd, I had the exact opposite experience you did, I find this helmet to fit considerably looser than previous Icon's I had, both of which I found to fit snug, almost uncomfortably so when new of the same size

This one fits great on top of my head, but the cheekpads are waaaay too loose, they barely even touch my face. If I shake my head the helmet wobbles around quite a bit. The L comes with the thickest pads available already so no help there, you can only get thinner ones. I'm thinking I might have to exchange it for a M, though I definitely want to try one on first. I've never worn anything but L in several different brands.

Kind of explains why the sizing reviews for these new "long oval" helmets are all over the place.

Otherwise it's definitely lighter and sleeker than my old space-helmet Domain2, a bit quieter, and the peripheral vision is a lot better as well. The shield has a detent for "just cracked open" and also opens far enough so the bottom edge isn't in your field of vision. Other than the loose cheekpads I like it a lot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Pretty good, better than the Domain. Can see where I'm going when tucked in without lifting my head much, before I had to really tip my neck back to be able to see.

Going to the dealer later to try a M, though I somehow suspect that's gonna be too small- if that's the case I'll probably end up returning this one and going with something else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts