Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been part of this site for a while, doing lots of reading and wrenching on my brother's 89 7/11 found here. Due to his constant nagging, I bit the bullet and bought myself an oiler!

Cost me $1000 from Waterloo. I'm currently owner number 8! :biggrin

When I picked her up in mid November

As she sits now

So I started taking this thing apart and i've had quite a few surprises! First of all, this thing needs a LOT of work. It has about 50,000km's and parts from all over the spectrum.

Fairings removed

Neat little exhaust hanger

Zip ties EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

butt nekkid

Not sure why it has a 91 600 ignitor though. I checked the vin on the engine and it was R-708, which seems correct. That would mean it needs the 32900-17D00 ignitor. Hmmm

That's all for now, until it warms up a bit (-13f)...

Here's a list of things I'll be replacing.
-Throttle Cable
-Clutch Cable
-Tires (Continental)
-Wheel Bearings
-Steering Bearings
-Plugs
-Wires
-Air Filters (Pods)
-Stage 1 Dynojet
-Sprockets (May do 0/+1)
-Chain
-Oil/Filter
-Brake Fluid
-Braided Lines (Galfer)
-Oil Cooler (Earls + fittings)
-Brake Discs/Rotors
-Brake Pads
-Fork Fluid
-Petcock Rebuild
-Considering Dyna igniter and Coils (DDK3-3, DC1-3)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like it's had a previous paint job. There's orange peep and some overspray. The Frame looks like it's been shot with some silver paint as well!

It's getting warmer tomorrow, which means more pics to come!

Also, These panels aren't for the 89 gsxr, are they? I'm thinking 88 (going by the writing on the seat :D)

I love the final touch of sliced fuel line ahahhaha. points for creativity!!

And finally, the side plastics. No 750 written on them. Probably because of the paint job. I like those front...errrr....rear turn signals :D

More wrenching last night. Oh the surprises!!

No codder pins anywhere

Did the 89 ever come with the adjustable wheel axle things? My parts diagram shows the basic 'through swingarm' setup where you'll pull on the wheel and tighten it up. On ebay I'll see swingarms like mine listed as 88-92. My wheel is also a 170, not a 160. Difference swingarm?? :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Missing fuel line clamp

Oh the humanity!

I gave up taking out the airbox. Looks like I need to either take out the engine or alternator...

Motor is out!! I think I should make a mount for it, as well as figure out something for the frame so I can take the swingarm and fork out.

I also noticed that my headers are 4-1, like the 1990 model. So an 1100 90 swingarm and a 90 exhaust, but an 89 motor, fork and frame? More pics to come!

Sludgy frame bolts

Oh SNAP!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't done much in the past few weeks. I've been busy with work and swapping out a transmission in my brother's car. What I did do today was make a reliable mount for my engine. It's high enough to clear the headers when I put them on

Now I can wash/degrease it and tear into it. I may put some roller wheels on the bottom to move it around\

Total cost was about $20

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My needles aren't stock. I say this because they have the adjustable slits on the end to adjust their height. They're currently in the middle slit. The main jets have no numbers on they, so they might be stock. These carbs have been opened up before.

More progress!

I stuck the rear spring into my press and compressed it, but only after loosely inserting the straps around the spring

Once it was compressed enough, I tightened the straps up.

I cleaned up the components and spray painted the shock black around the small rust spots that I had sanded off

The carbs came out of the Pine Sol wash. I rinsed everything under hot water. Oh and wear gloves if you do this. The skin on my hands is starting to crack from being too dry

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I called today and had the front tire changed to 120/70/17

Also, been a bit busy scraping

I kind of think I should have just paid to have them blasted. I got the paint off but there's a smear of paint residue that appears each time I wipe them off. I'm using a $10 can of stripper. Front took almost 1 can. I also have the paint on stripper but I would like to use that with a pressure washer. This-10*c weather isn't having any of it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So the preload would be about 5/8" or 15.8mm. I wanted 20mm. I guess when I measured, the spring wasn't properly seated on the damper assembly. I need another 1/4" to get my 20mm preload. The preload on the fork caps was set to the 4th line, or 1/2 the total adjustability. The rebound damping force adjuster was set to 1.5mm high and threaded onto the damper until it touched lightly. I then tightened the lock nut onto it.

Also cleaned out the tubes. They were nasty

More pics tonight:party-smiley:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts