Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anything about metalworking / machining tools.

Let's say you could only have one decent metalworking tool and you wanted to make bike parts / learn precision machining on your own time...

Something along the lines of: drill presses, vertical mills, metal lathes, band saws etc.

Yeah. :thumbsup:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Verical mill, not even close. A nice gearhead lathe is the only thing that gets even remotely close. As a pair you got one hell of a shop.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
Vertical mill or lathe. Both preferably.

Later, Doug

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it seems that a vertical mill could be used as a drill press, yes?

also, how do you go about machining accurate curves with a hand controlled milling machine?

Reactions: shotgun

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts

also, how do you go about machining accurate curves with a hand controlled milling machine?
I did a big writeup about that in an old thread. I think it was one of the ones about how dougz wanted to build his triple

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts

Rotary tables are helpful. It's a vise with a graduated vernier dial that rotates the bed of the vise instead of moving it in a linear fashion like the dials on the mill bed do. CNC is way better for that though.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Honestly it depends on what you want to build. Id say for the price of even a cheap mill like a smithy you could outfit yourself with a lot of useful tools. I got a vertical/horizontal bandsaw from northern tool that is pretty handy.

Having a mill is nice but I would take that money and get a small band saw(vertical or vertical/horizontal, not horizontal only for starters), belt sander, small drill press(couple hundred bucks) and some assorted tools like a sawzawl, angle grinder and so on. Honestly the angle grinder with cut-off wheels will take you far.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
If you're not needing absolute percision, a drill press and an and angle grinder can go a long way. If your realy crafty, you can turn a drill press into a poor mans mill with varying results and it can also be setup for small lathe work as well.

Personaly, if it was a big purchase item, I would shoot for a lathe myself. It can be setup with a mill vise on the cross slide and you can mill out parts that way. It obviously takes a bit more thinking and a lot of extra setup and operational steps, but it does work. But most importantly, it still makes round parts. In the end, that's one of the more difficult and useful operations I would need on a regular basis that I can't do with any of the other tools.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
.(did yew upper decker that fookin twat yet ?) :thumbsup:
i personally have witnessed the aftermath of an upper decker at a dennys and it was a shitty thing to do and i fully condone doing the same to an enemy :rock::rock::rock:

BTW lathes are nice and so are drill presses...i dont know shite about a vert mill and

i thought a band saw was what was needed to relieve the pressure in my dads head when my mom bitched all the time :thumbsup:

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so jealous of this motherfucker.

·
Trackday junkie
139 Posts
Staying within the rules of ya OP DEFINITELY the lathe.
But my thoughts are for the money you pay for ONE workshop tool you can get the bandsaw,drill press and some welding gear

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh, and a good vise and bench. My bench and vise suck.

I imagine you can get away with a lot of stuff with a band saw, drill press, and bench grinder

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
properly used you can use a vertical mill for all of the things you need
milling(of course) drilling, cutting, and even "lathe" work. biggest thing is, know how to utilize your machine. better a simple tool you know how to use than a complex tool you know nothing about.
i would get a bidgeport mill, then a monarch lathe if i was confined to conventional machinery only.

if not, then i would get a mill and then a Wasino or Takisawa CNC lathe. (a conventional mill can be converted to CNC as well)

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Def the mill.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts