Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Ignition timing is the timing of the spark plug pulses (measured in degrees from the top dead center positon of the piston), an ignition timer/advancer/whatever allows you to modify the timing to optimize performance.

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
mines not hard to use and it helped a bunch. mine you remove the left engine cover. unscrew thepick up plate and unbolt the timing plate and bolt the new in and new gasket and reinstall the cover. 20 inutes on a good day. sets the ignition 3 degrees or so forward and gave it alot better throttle response. ignition timing is the amount of degrees before top dead center that the plug fires. generally 10-20 degrees before tdc. this allows the fuel to start burning before the actual power stroke. if it ignties at top dead center the fuel wil not have enough time to igntie and the power will not be its full potential. alot of bike and car companies set the spark way to early so its burns complete and has less unburnt fuel out in the atmosphere and increase emissions. the igntion advancers allow you to find the sweet spot from the manufactures spot and exactly tdc. find the sweet spot and you get a much more powerfull burn becuase the pressrure is higher at the point of igntion. but dont add one in cali or green states because it does screw with emissions. and im done.

holeshot.com then click on bandit on theleft and go to ignintion 5' advancer

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
on a modern bike, they're not worth the money. the timing is pretty well set out of the box. you'll probably never notice any difference with it installed on a 929.

on an older bike, or something based on an older motor (bandits, katanas, etc, especially) they are worth it if you set them up properly.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was saying. A 929 doesn't need one, you'll barely notice it unless you get into real engine mods.

Didn't feel like arguing though :(

Plus on a 929 if you wanted to optimize timing beyond what Honda already managed you'd need dyno time.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
exaaaaactly

·
407 Posts
929dude said:
hmmmmmm,sounds easy enough
you wouldnt do a mechanical advancer on a 929, you'd do an electronic one. something along the lines of a PowerCommander IIIR will allow you to advance the timing as well as adjust the fuel map.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
well technically it still has a regular ignition trigger like any other bike, so you COULD do a regular style advancer. but honestly, unless you plan on running N20 or turbo/supercharging it and need to retard the timing, i wouldn't mess with it. i have a pc3r for my 954 and i've tried playing with the ignition timing a bit (on a dyno) and it made no improvement, and actualy made the bike run a bit hotter, especially when playing with oxygenated fuels (nutec). though i think with the last runs (on nutec) it was more the fuel making it hotter than the ignition timing.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
Hey Skr00ze should I get an advancer to throw on the 1100? Im also wondering about doing the wire jumper mode that I was told about. Something about cutting a wire. I cant get on oldschoolsuzuki.info for some reason, the page says cant be found or some shit....stupid computer

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
lol, yeah, just cut the pink wire. does the same thing as a tre on a fuelie bike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts