Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHOW THEM TO ME!

Who knows of some small and tidy ones of good quality?

Or particularly cool ones?

Looking to move replace the bulky factory ignition unit on my vfr800 and I'm not finding shit that looks appealing or like quality.

Would like to keep the price around $50. If i could afford more I'd go RFID but I can't so looks like it needs to be a keyed unit.

Unless you all have some better alternatives.

Please advise. Having a bitch of a time here and want to get something here soon.

Thanks CF!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
When i finally get to the wiring on my bike i'm going for a hidden toggle switch for the ignition switch and then a push button somewhere else. The buttons i have are about the size of a quarter

·
Super Moderator
3,040 Posts
Have you thought of just moving the stock one? I did on my Gsxr to a spot between the frame and valve cover. All you can see is the barrel portion.

Later, Doug

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
When i finally get to the wiring on my bike i'm going for a hidden toggle switch for the ignition switch and then a push button somewhere else. The buttons i have are about the size of a quarter
Even better than a hidden toggle, make it something like a 1/4" audio jack that can't be flipped by just anybody. Your "key" would just be an audio plug that closes the circuit, or even a solid rod of metal.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
The ones I see at that cost are (if I'm translating the Engrish correctly) pretty much just RFID kill switches. Which I guess is good enough, except you'd still need a way to switch on / off your lights (and anything else you don't want live while the bike is off).

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got an extreme creations remote control/push button key fob unit.
Got as part of a package of parts when I got the gsxr front end for my Vfr, but it's new. A few years old, but new.

Might even be able to do remote start with it, not sure off the top of my head.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
The ones I see at that cost are (if I'm translating the Engrish correctly) pretty much just RFID kill switches. Which I guess is good enough, except you'd still need a way to switch on / off your lights (and anything else you don't want live while the bike is off).
You set them up with latching relays. Swipe the fob to simulate turning key on. Interrupt to ground to kill the circuit. It only replaces the ignition switch, that's what I did on my blue VFR

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you thought of just moving the stock one? I did on my Gsxr to a spot between the frame and valve cover. All you can see is the barrel portion.

Later, Doug
Yes I've been looking for locations but very stumped. Altogether I need at least a 2" square that is 4" deep to hide this key in and I don't really have that kind of room on my bikend anywhere.

This is what I've gathered on most of the reasonable RFID kits I've seen. They're just security not actually a stand alone ignition unit.

Is your VFR ignition unit a HISS one? Bike won't run if you take those off.
Not sure but think that might be the 2002+

You set them up with latching relays. Swipe the fob to simulate turning key on. Interrupt to ground to kill the circuit. It only replaces the ignition switch, that's what I did on my blue VFR
I'm sorry to lean on you but can you post or pm me more info needed on this? I'd love to get rid of the switch altogether. I'm a bit of an electrical noob when it comes to modification. I can do the physical wiring well enough just don't really know much about the options.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The audio jack is a good idea. Doesn't an rfid slowly drain your battery though? Because isnt it always searching for the fob so it's constantly putting out a signal? Idk if its true or not but i dont have much experience with them

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
The audio jack is a good idea. Doesn't an rfid slowly drain your battery though? Because isnt it always searching for the fob so it's constantly putting out a signal? Idk if its true or not but i dont have much experience with them
Yes it does, I had one on my 954 and if I didn't ride at least every 3 or 4 days it would kill the battery. Sense I don't get to ride all the time it became a pain so I removed it and just used a toggle switch in the tail.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yes it does, I had one on my 954 and if I didn't ride at least every 3 or 4 days it would kill the battery. Sense I don't get to ride all the time it became a pain so I removed it and just used a toggle switch in the tail.

See yea that would piss me off lol

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
I built a chopper a few years back and used a hidden toggle for the ignition and a very small (smaller than a dime) push button that I drilled and tapped right into the handle bars.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
After hearing that the rfid was killing your battery I was curious as I was pretty sure that the Motogadget M-lock didn't require constant power. Come to find out there are a few different types of rfid setups.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/show?68

What's the difference between passive and active tags?

Active RFID tags have a transmitter and their own power source (typically a battery). The power source is used to run the microchip's circuitry and to broadcast a signal to a reader (the way a cell phone transmits signals to a base station). Passive tags have no battery. Instead, they draw power from the reader, which sends out electromagnetic waves that induce a current in the tag's antenna. Semi-passive tags use a battery to run the chip's circuitry, but communicate by drawing power from the reader. Active and semi-passive tags are useful for tracking high-value goods that need to be scanned over long ranges, such as railway cars on a track, but they cost more than passive tags, which means they can't be used on low-cost items.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts