Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Collin from Madison, Ms. I have been working on a 86 xv700 café project for a year and a half. I was told to come here from viragotechforum.com for info on front end swaps. Now that was a while back go, but I'm here now since I'm in the middle of one. Not doing the inverted forks though. I wanting to swap in xv920j but I'm having a little trouble. New top bearing from allball is sitting too high, I believe and the stem from my 86 needs to go into the lower clamp of the 920. I think both are welded in place. So I'm stuck

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Welcome in. I would say if you don't see a weld then the stem is pressed in, and can be pressed out. Don't hold me to that as I'm not familiar with front. I'm sure someone on here more knowledgeable then could give a better answer. O and we need pics damnit!!! We like pics a lot and again welcome

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These aren't the best pics. There taken with my crappy phone. First two I think is the tube welded in. Next is a gap between the bottom race and bottom bearing. I think I'm going to have to remove that really. Then a comparison of the two tubes. Last is the top bearing its sitting about 3/16" above where I think the original set.

Attachments

·
☢
5,596 Posts

the tapered roller bearing has the lower race built into the bearing. you need to remove the old lower race from the stem, and is that a spacer under the new bearing?

the new fork is on the left? you can always grind the weld off, or have someone machine it off. Have you checked the new stem to see if the difference in height is a problem?

did you replace the upper race (in the head tube)? This really shouldn't be a problem, does the dust seal cover it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The left one is the 82 xv920 that's the one going on. It's shorter than the stock one that's behind it. The next photo with the tapered bearings is the 920. I didn't know what it was called, somewhere someone referred to it as being a lower race. No spacer, I guess the old race needs to come of and the new bearing needs to be pressed on more. It might be the wrong size. Yes I replace the top and bottom races and bearings. By dust seal, you don't mean the one that came with the kit, you mean the metal cup? Yes it does. The xv700 stem is 10" 29/30 nds and the 920 stem is 9" 3/8 long.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Welcome to CF mate. Hope all goes smooth with the swap. Plenty of wisemen to help you out walking around these parts as you can already see

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to CF mate. Hope all goes smooth with the swap. Plenty of wisemen to help you out walking around these parts as you can already see
Yes Sir... I see that. This was the right place to come. Thank you to everybody for welcoming me, I'm glad to be here.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
The left one is the 82 xv920 that's the one going on. It's shorter than the stock one that's behind it. The next photo with the tapered bearings is the 920. I didn't know what it was called, somewhere someone referred to it as being a lower race. head tube bearings consist of a lower (or inner) race, the bearings (ball or roller), and an upper (or outer) race. With the tapered roller, the lower race, roller bearing, and bearing retainer are all one piece, and the upper race gets pressed into the headtube
No spacer, I guess the old race needs to come of and the new bearing needs to be pressed on more. It might be the wrong size. Yes I replace the top and bottom races and bearings. did you replace the races in the head tube? you have to knock the old ones out, and press (hammer with a piece of wood or something) the new ones in

By dust seal, you don't mean the one that came with the kit, you mean the metal cup? Yes it does. The xv700 stem is 10" 29/30 nds and the 920 stem is 9" 3/8 long. I forgot old bikes have a metal dust cap, but yes, since that covers it, the additional stack height shouldn't be a bother.
as for stem length being over 1.5" difference, you'll probably need to swap stems or have a new stem machined and welded into the 920 lower triple. if you do swap stems, you need to use the 700 bearings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts