Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Longtime rider
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been thinking. ( I know look out something is burning. )

But I want to know What would it take for some of you to say " I'm done. I am not riding motorcycle bikes any more?

Let hear what you people think. I will share my story after hearing some of your reply's.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I'm done when I'm physically unable to ride. Even if it isn't street bikes I can't imagine going any real length of time without something on two wheels.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

G

·
I had a very near miss a couple of years ago & it didnt bother me until i posted about it on a website a few days later then the shock hit me like a ton of bricks & it wasnt pretty, i didnt feel able to ride for over a week which is the longest i've not ridden since 1980

I dont doubt the same could happen again & stop me riding altogether & it could happen to any one of you but apart from that for me its as blensen says i'll ride till i physically cant then i'll be happy to be put down

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Too many friends going down, some never getting back up again.

I got wife kids and an ankle biting dog who rely on me, and I don't want to ever have them looking down at me on a hospital bed in pieces.

I gave up riding a year ago, Im in this just to build at this point.

·
Premium Member
15,065 Posts
Ed, only you can decide if your done. Looks like you took a pretty serious hit and I am glad your still with us. For some its easy to quit to riding, for others they'll never stop. Don't rush to make a decision. Heal up physically and emotionally then figure out what to do from there.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
" I'm done. I am not riding motorcycle bikes any more?

in all seriousness, ed you have done more crazy building / riding than most will ever do. So i won't be sad if you hang it up.

·
ER6Ninja Warrior
198 Posts
I'm 29 with a 1 year old. I ride to save money, and because the worst day on a bike is better than the best day in a family sedan. I don't think I will STOP riding until I am able to do so. But if I was in a better place financially and had a nice project car that I was proud of and got reasonable mpg, I may stop riding EVERY day.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
ive cut it back to two daya week

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Ive been catching a lot of this lately because of my most recent high side. My family gets my passion but at the same time in my 26 years on this earth I've broken 25 bones had many surgeries and 95% of them have come wheels in one way or another. Weather its been a bike roller blades skateboard motorcycle I even broke my wrist on a razor scooter lol. Now I have a wife 3 kids 2 dogs a house and all the big boy bills that come along with it. My family probably wouldn't be giving me that shit but my brother passed away Sept 1st (26 years old) so now they realize death is a very real thing and think that every time I start one of my bikes I'm not coming home. Ive pretty much stuck to the track lately because its safer no cars cell phones dump trucks rocks sand dirt cops or 98% of the things that cause accidents. Just ridder error or another riders error. I have thought long and hard about hanging it up at least till my kids are older but in all honesty its part of me. Being on 2 wheels is in my blood its part of who I am. I may sound selfish but I appreciate every second alive weather its playing with my kids or dragging my knee going 90mph through a corner. I love my family but part of my family is me and without riding I'm not me.

If you are ready then hang it up but if its someone pressuring you go take a ride and think about how well they know you.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I want to know What would it take for some of you to say " I'm done. I am not riding motorcycle bikes any more?

Let hear what you people think. I will share my story after hearing some of your reply's.

My body can't physically take the trauma of another big crash. It was that simple for me. My turbo bike is my last great adventure as a motorcyclist before I hang up the race suit and the dark smoke tinted shield, flat black helmet, and put the bike under a cover as a conversation piece. After that I want to build old vintage bikes and ride the dirt a bunch, invest in some cool car projects and relax into life proper... retirement from the hooligan traffic fighter life that I've lead for a decade plus.

I'll never be totally done riding, but there comes a time in a mans life where self preservation overcomes the "freedom" associated with being a motorcycle rider. After seeing my dad on a gurney... dead... from a motorcycle wreck because he was victim of a thoughtless action by another driver, it defined why I am here and what I really want to do. So I am building a top end turbo drag bike engine to stuff in a frighteningly short chassis and ride rear wheel spinning like mad and lofting the front until the engine is worn down to fuckall and there is no rebuild possible. Then I'm done.

So what happened to you?

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I've been riding on the street for 34 years now...only had 2 years off when I had two kids still in diapers and was working two full time jobs....

Survived 12 years of trying to scare myself, with every throttle twist, while riding my Hayabusa.

Seen people die in front and behind me.... Have gravel still under my skin, and metal holding some parts together.... Have rode while one of my two broken legs was still in a cast (who needs rear brakes)....

So, I would say..... Until death do us part.....:D

Reactions: ants and bonez8

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
i'm the sole provider for a family of 7. my wife has gained 50 pounds since we got married.

i ride because i hope i die. my wife lets me ride as long as i have the maximum life insurance policy.

it beats the minivan we own

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll always ride, I'm no longer the "hero" I thought I was in my teens though. I too have seen the carnage that can happen right in front of me, lost 5 good friends in 5 months about 10 years ago, that made me stop riding for a decade but it was always there in my head that I was gonna get back on a bike eventually. When I didn't have a death wish.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i will continue to ride until i either physically cant or do not have the money to sustain my habit. motorcycles really are like a drug. i foresee myself spiraling down the drain of this horrible addiction until it one day consumes what life i have left. or until they make hover bikes. id imagine that those would be a lot more fun except for not being able to wheelie them. so id probably need to keep at least one motorcycle when hover bikes come about. but then it would be like seeing the older guy driving his muscle car or something. and that sounds cool to me.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
i will continue to ride until i either physically cant or do not have the money to sustain my habit. motorcycles really are like a drug. i foresee myself spiraling down the drain of this horrible addiction until it one day consumes what life i have left. or until they make hover bikes. id imagine that those would be a lot more fun except for not being able to wheelie them. so id probably need to keep at least one motorcycle when hover bikes come about. but then it would be like seeing the older guy driving his muscle car or something. and that sounds cool to me.
or it will be like that one guy, "HA, u still use wheels, Ape"

·
Longtime rider
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK... So this is why I ask this.

I had been in accident on motorcycles before. some because I was young and thinking i had control of the bike. And knew what I was doing. Other because of other people no paying attention Or looking for people on motorcycles. Some of you may or may not know I had a REALLY BAD accident almost 7 years ago. That i had to be Life Flighted from. I was lucky to to be alive much less be walking this earth as if it never did happen. But bout 6 weeks ago. I got into a accident again. Again life flighted away.

So when I was in the bed lying there. I started thinking how lucky I was AGAIN to be alive abs walking away as if it was just dust off my shoulder. So I was thinking YEA I'm done. I dont have to ride any more. I have been tru more then a few accidents and 2 life flights. I'm good!

Now dont get me wrong I will miss it! Oh some much!. I am not walking away from bike all together. I'm just choosing not to ride a motorcycle any more.I will miss it. I will be around watching you guys and your builds. I do like seeing what you guys come up with.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts