Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a buddy of mine has his old bike sitting in customs with no way to get it home. The only thing hes got are the keys, no paperwork of any kind.

Short history of the bike:
1997 Suzuki TL1000S he purchased new from a UK dealer but registered it to someone other than himself for personal reasons. Couple of months later my buddy took the bike to Denmark and never got it registered. Few years later he went to Italy and again neglected to register the bike. In 2004 he moved to the USA (Minnesota specifically) leaving the bike in Italy due to "homoligation issues" making importing it difficult.

Enter 2013, a friend in Italy decided to finally put the bike in a crate and ship it to Minnesota for him anyway, but due to previously mentioned issues, my buddy isnt even bothering.

I imagine this is going to be a total nightmare to figure out, but I wanted to inqire if anyone else here has had experience importing an untitled/unregistered motorcycle (specifically a TL) from Europe at some point and what all is required to get the bike through customs. My buddy is just gonna let it go to auction or the crusher and forget about it, but he said if I want to figure out how to get it through I can have it. Even if it ends up costing a few hundred bucks to get it out itll be well worth it. But if its gonna cost more to get it homoligated than the bike cost new, im afraid its going to get crushed. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just shipping a bike from rome to detroit would be $2,900 ish dollars. Thats just a quick quote from http://motorcycleexpress.com/Pages/ShippingQuote/ and that doesn't include getting any titles or anything....
Sounds about right. Let me clarify though, the bike has already been shipped. That part of the situation is already taken care of fortunately. The "how" is a little unclear to me but the shipper must have already had a full container in route so it wasnt a big deal to squeaze the bike in with the rest of it. Otherwise I could probably find a decent TL locally for about what it would cost to pay for shipping. Its getting it through customs now that the bike is here that is the problem. Im only involved because it could mean a "free" bike for me!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,435 Posts
I would think it would require all US smog equipment.

Makes you wonder what race teams do when they bring bikes to race in America. Can you register it as an off road only bike and then swap stuff into a new frame or something?

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Oh, if it's already in the US then get your friend to draw you up a bill of sale with the VIN. They should be able to do a check and see the bike isn't stolen and the origional owner did a bill of sale I'd reckon. Could also check with customs where the bike is and see what they'd require...

If there's no paperwork on it, it shouldn't matter who the bill of sale is from. It could be from the guy who owned the shipping container...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts