Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wanted to intro myself! I've been perusing the site for a while, I love the beginner's section! I recently aquired a tt600 from a battle buddy when we got back from Iraq (May).

Here it was in the beginning...

When we got back, my battle buddy dropped it coming around a corner. To make a long story short, he decided he wanted to focus on his Harley and Bronco instead. So he GAVE the Triumph to me. Yeah, who passes up on a free bike? he knew I wanted one, but couldn't afford to pick one up right now. So... a few days later, I go pick it up.....

This aint so bad, I think I can do some "plastic welding" to it and it'll be ok

This I will definitely need some help with:

More plastic welding?

All comin off anyways..

Not so bad...

Next few pics are as it sits now. I've taken all the plastics off, installed bar end mirrors (wanted to see how functional they would be and if they looked ok).

Ok, so back to the intro. I've never built a bike before. I'm an "as-needed" mechanic, meaning, I fix things as needed. I've been pouring over the site and have always loved the "streetfighter" look and feel. This was the perfect excuse to turn this bike into my first "fighter". I realize I could just buy new plastics, etc, but I love the idea of making it my own, etc. Plus, damn, after looking at all the badass bikes here, how could I ever go back?

I've experience riding, however it's been cruisers (of the metric sort) and dirt bikes. This is my first sportbike as well as fighter. So I will be taking it slow, wanna do it all right. Plus, I'm a single dad of 3, my money is everywhere BUT my wallet! So please be gentle when I ask stupid questions, I promise to use the hell outta the search feature before hand.

1st question, that rear peg shifter, can I just bend it? Will it break if I try? What if I heat it up first? Any suggestions, etc, greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long intro, but I knew I better have pics or else!

Plans? Well, first, I want to get a new headlight and blinker setup. I've been looking at Aztec 8's oval single. After that, make my own coolant reservoir, lots of good ideas and examples on this site. Fix the shifter if possible, clean everything up and paint! Oh, and thanks to the DIY stubby article (saved on my desktop) I'll shorten the can. Or at least attempt to!

Thanks in advance for all the help and the great site!

·
SRAD MAD
2,318 Posts
Welcome in bud, free is always a good place to start. The can should be no probs to shorten looks long enough to make three stubby's :LolLolLolLol:

As fer the gear lever could try heatin and bendin slowly, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Welcome. nice bike to fighter.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
wow lodsa pics mate ! well dun glad ta have ya with us fer sure!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was afraid that the lever would be a loss, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible. but I guess it won't be any worse for the wear. i'll give it a shot and let y'all know how it turns out. Slowly but surely. I won't get much time to work on it this weekend, but I'll see if I can't get thr front a little more clean, I also need to start playing with headlight options, etc. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Damn it's been a while since I've been able to do any work. Gotta get more pics, etc. Well I was able to salvage the shifter, though I thought the sucker was gonna break. A little heat and some patience and it's almost good as new!

Before...

Now....

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, got the pics sorted out. Now, onto the exhaust. The can is a Leo Vince SBK (I believe)

It's stinkin loud as is. But it's GINORMOUS! I gotta cut this thing.

Looking for opinions. Just shorten it? Angle it? What's your suggestions? In this pic, you can see, I took off the rear sets (hope that's the right name). I want to clean up the tail, etc.

I have to be cautious not to get too crazy, simply because I want to get it back on the road ASAP. I figure by this winter I can get a new sub, or fab one. Mine is a bolt on so I think that might make it a bit easier.

For now, as far as the ass is concerned. I'll repair the damaged fairing, put a seat cowl on top so it doesn't look so bad, and get it all painted. Just so I can get her back on the road quickly.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took off the gauge, it's not as bulky and big as I'd thought

Although I think I am still going to go with this one...

http://trailtech.net/computers.html

Specifically the Vapor. Props to Kaos for his thread http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36363 on gauges. I called the company and they are pretty close to me here in Portland. I'm getting a great deal (Military discount and all). And although my stock gauge isn't horribly large, I think this will be even smaller and cleaner. It's really important to me to clean up the front.

I'm heading to Home Depot today to look at some parts for mounting the V-Rod headlight. I just love that damn thing!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need some help with a nob question. This is my radiator hose.... Sexy, I know. For the Vapor Stealth computer, the sales gal asked me to measure the inside diameter of the rad hose. This is because they have a sensor that I assume has to go in there, etc.

So which end do I measure? See how one end is a lot smaller and the other is huge and then tapers down?

Any help on this would be great!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So for the tail, like I said, for now, I'm simply going to get the plastics fixed, and add the cowl to not have as much of a "banana seat"

I'm looking for ideas, comments, etc on which way to go with a newer tail, etc. I was thinking I could try to score another sub from ebay or something, this way I could work on it all I want on the side, I know it'll bolt up fine and I can play with it as I see fit. My goal is to just shorten and clean it up a bit more in the rear.

A fellow fighterer is doing the plastic repair and glass on the tail. Just gotta get a new fender for the front, or make my own.

Anyways, thanks for looking, feedback and advice is always welcome. I am not a builder by any means, just a guy that wants to get his fighter on the road asap!

1 - 20 of 425 Posts