Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 180 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Thanks amigos. I did wrap it up all nice in tape, etc as well. I was going to solder, as most of my wiring changes have been soldered, however, I wasn't sure how good I'd pull of the 3-wire solder so I went the easy route. Rode with them last night, and this morning and they are great! I've had a couple people ask already! They are definitely more visible, plus I can see their reflection off my gloves and grips to those act as another "dummy" light, as I'm known for leaving my signals on.

So far I'm pretty happy with them. Quick easy and cheap. Thanks for the clarification on what they're called. I couldn't remember for the life of me!

I enjoy screwing around with these led's as well. I bought a few for my 4Runner cab area as well and they have some good light output. Thanks for the compliments amigos!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Changes coming soon amigo. Picked this up on eBay the other day...

Gonna try to get it mounted and worked out ASAP! Already got a paint guy lined up. While it's out, I'm thinking of polishing a little bit of the rims. Not the whole thing, just the lips. Feedback on that? Thanks amigos!

Also coming in the mail:
Motomaggot exaust

R1 integrated tail light
R1 rear seat cowl

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Will do. It hasn't arrived yet and I'm gonna wait until it gets here to see if there is anyway I can get it under my tail. So I won't have any details for a minute, maybe some mock-ups, etc. My tail won't be here for another week. In the meantime I am dying for it!

My exhaust is LOUUUUUUUUUD now. I'll post some video cuz I need to have a comparison. But I won't mind even louder!

here's a pic from the pshop thread where I asked to have the exhaust chopped. Here it's mounted on the side.

The headlight is down and in a bit, and the tail is shorter, so this won't be a perfect rendition. I do however like the look of the exhaust.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That tail is gonna look awesome! I want a video to hear the exhaust. As for the wheels, I m a fan of the polished lip. Did that to mine. Looking forward to seeing how the tail turns out. Good luck hope it goes smooth

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Small update amigos. I have more pics to post, as far as how I made them, but not right now. Just the before and after pics.

Anyways, I had toyed with the idea of doing a fork swap, as well as fork gaiters. I bought the gaiters, but didn't like how they looked by themselves. The reason I'd liked the idea of a fork swap was because I thought it'd make the front end look a bit beefier.

So what I did instead was made some fork covers for the parts that weren't covered by the gaiters. Here's what the front looked like before...

And here's the two after shots. The pics don't do it justice though amigos. It looks a lot better in person, looks beefier and more stout. Also, don't mind the gaiters wrinkles, etc. That was just before finishing, etc. Also, I put the front fender back on.

Take a look and let me know what you think. The covers were ridiculously easy to make once I found the right material, and fit the first one. Whatcha think amigos?

·
Administrator
5,353 Posts
I like them, look appropriate on a Triumph too i think. Maybe shorten them a little they look a bit squashed? What did you use for the black upper for covers, nice finish and they do look beefier.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
I think you're right amigo. I'll definitely shorten them. I went to my local TAP Plastics and they just happened to have plastic tubing that fit perfectly, I have some pics and will post details tomorrow. But basically, when I took the forks off, I measured, they cut, I did the final fitment and then painted. The pics simply don't do them justice amigo. They look way better in person.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Do the covers have a lot of play or are they a real snug fit on the forks? I'm asking this cos I've thought about getting some
fork covers made (top as well as bottom ones) and was thinking if I just need thicker material if I want to make the forks beefier or
could I fit some rubber in there or something. Forks look a ton better with this upgrade :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Do the covers have a lot of play or are they a real snug fit on the forks? I'm asking this cos I've thought about getting some
fork covers made (top as well as bottom ones) and was thinking if I just need thicker material if I want to make the forks beefier or
could I fit some rubber in there or something. Forks look a ton better with this upgrade :thumbsup:
They are a snug fit. There is absolutely no play at all. To get them in, I had to insert them from the side and sort of "roll" them into place. Hope that makes sense. But basically when you cut, you cut just a hair LONGER than you need, then you can sand them down to fit perfect. I'll make a small DIY post on it later today and then update this post with the link. It's easier to do than you may think amigo.

I AM going to stretch the gaiters out a bit and shorten them. I have to take the radiator off this week for some frame work anyways, so that will be the perfect time. Thanks for the feedback amigos, I'll try to get a better pic, but they look much better in person, I think my phone camera skills are working against me here.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Short story short amigos (just cuz it was that easy), here's how I made the fork tube covers.....

Went to my local TAP Plastics and bought some of this....

Clear acrylic tubes

My forks were 43mm, so it just happened that the 1 3/4 tubes fit perfect! And I mean perfect amigo, no wiggle room, just like a glove. I was very happy to find this, for a couple reasons:

1. It was local
2. I had been searching online FOREVER and not having good luck finding a tube that had the right inside diameter.
3. It was CHEAP!

So I took it home and made a rough measurement. Basically, put a tape measure up to the front and measured the distance in between the yokes. I wanted to make sure I cut it a bit long just in case, and that way I could sand it down to the right height.

I didn't have good "plastic tube cutting tools" so I used a hand saw. To help keep my line somewhat straight, I made my mark and then put a hose clamp on where I needed to make my cut. Kept me from going all over the place.

Here you can see that it's cut. Now my cut wasn't perfect and it was still a little too long, so I honestly, just sat next to the bike and sanded and filed until it fit perfect. I didn't want the thing to move at all once in place. Don't want it rattling, or cracking on me.

Once I had it the right size, I gave it a light sand to make a rough surface and then painted the crap out of it. And then repeat for the other side. It's really that simple amigos.

I need to take some better pics because I honestly can't tell you how much of a difference it makes until you see it in person. I know I need to shorten the gaiters, and certainly will, but the covers make a HUGE difference up front for me.

On the TAP Plastics website they list the tubing at like $19.65, etc. Mine was local so I had them cut two small pieces for me and I think the whole thing cost $8. Nothing amigo, and even if you screw it up it's still cheap enough to do again.

An observation...

Once you get the one side done, if you don't have "super plastic tubing cutting tools" take it back to the place you bought it and have them cut it again. It's free and is a perfect cut. That will save you a ton of sanding.

Also, I chose plastic because I wanted it cheap, and I didn't want to really add any weight.

Thanks for looking amigos. If you have questions let me know. I'll do a short DIY once I get better pics.

161 - 180 of 425 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.