Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up guys!

im new to this forum and im building a street fighter out of a ninja zx7r 1995!
i already have pretty much all my ideas and im doing a complete restoration at the same time... im buying pretty much everything brand new! now i have a question and ive been looking on the net but i didnt really see any pictures of it. have you guys ever raked your frame?? i know regular sportbikes have about 25 degrees of rake.. i was thinking about raising it to about 34! similar to a V-rod :p

anyone have pictures of something similar or have you already done something like it? will it handle like shit or theres something nice to do!?

thanks in advance
vinny

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
i know regular sportbikes have about 25 degrees of rake.. i was thinking about raising it to about 34! similar to a V-rod :p

anyone have pictures of something similar or have you already done something like it? will it...

handle like shit

Welcome in!

There is absolutely nothing to gain from raking your frame out except maybe some straight line stability. Steering will feel floppy, slow maneuvers will be awkward and trying to rake a frame with a cast steering head will most likely be expensive.

Please don't take this the wrong way but is there a particular reason you want to turn your Zx7 into a chopper?

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

No its just for the look of it haha! i want something particular.. money is not a problem and i dont want a chopper look also lol.. just a small rake! and when you say cast is it aluminum??

and if the tail is proper will it correct the wobbling?

vinny

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
The frame is aluminum. Search for Zx7 frame images on google or bing and you can see that it'll be a challenge to rake the frame.

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
easiest/cheapest way would to do it with a set of custom yokes.. kinda like that..

don't know where you'd get the forks from though. those look like a set of dirtbike forks.. springing it properly would be interesting.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
welcome in vinny,good luck with yer project.We al think outside tha box cos we aint everyday peeps :D seems ya will fit in just rite here mate .

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
easiest/cheapest way would to do it with a set of custom yokes.. kinda like that.
You can't do it with just yokes. Raking the angle at the yokes just moves the wheel forward, without changing the steering axis- you end up with less trail, even negative trail. Rakes yokes are used when you need to get forward offset because your steerer is already raked, to bring the trail down to a reasonable number.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Well, raked yokes WILL kick the legs out with extra angle, but yeah, the steering stem will also still be in the original location.

Exactly how the heck DO you figure R&T with that combination of parts (stock stem/raked trees)?
I'd mock it up in drawing and measure. Otherwise you need to make a bunch of assumptions and then do more math than I'd care for.

Unless the fork is made longer (like, dirtbike forks for a sport bike) the front will drop some (making rake steeper and further pushing trail into the negative zone), which makes it difficult to do with basic math. Offset in trees might also change, etc.

Raking the neck on a sportbike seems problematic because modern sportbikes are pretty much defined by the fact of having very beefy neck support that is heavily integrated with the frame. It might almost be easier to cut the frame forward of where the front most engine mounts are, move the neck to the new position, then bridge the gap.

Or, just pick up a chopper frame that doesn't have engine mounts, and put your big sportbike engine in it. Apparently that's getting to be a thing, there's even frames made with mounts for big I4's now (mostly oil boilers and busa engines). Custom frame actually seems the saner option in this case. Hell, you can sell the old frame & fork etc to offset cost.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Isn't pretty much all of make that thing forkless dirtbag builds raked out in the front? They are all badass. Its not always all about performance with everyone that builds a bike. Just take a look at how popular windowed clutch cover are becoming.... not a single bit of extra "performance" comes from that. One could even argue that swapping from clipons to dirtbars is a "performance" negative

I know I could care less if my street bike makes 50hp or 150, or if I can get 40* of lean or only 28. All I want from my street bike is to look cool and be all day comfortable

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
it's like a 300mm wide tire... you can turn but it's cumbersome and not geared towards performance handling. dirt bars vs clip is a marginal difference. I think the only diffrerence is the effect of rider ergos on aerodynamics on racebikes. Flat track guys want wide bars for leverage and control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts