Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm fairly sure I've got hot to install my mirrors my problem is when I took off the old bar end this was waiting inside Wheel Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim I've tried for the past hour trying to get these things out I need some help plz -Trevor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Is it the rubber from the old bar end? If it is spray the shit out of it with wd40 or liquid wrench and let it sit for a little then try again. If that doesn't work drill it out in the center till you can get a better grip on it to rip that fucker out

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
It's the collet from the old bar ends. They have rusted themselves to the bars. They should be in two pieces. Take a small prick punch or something with a slender point and tap it between the collet and the bars, you will pop them loose. Or see if you can drive the center section deeper into the bar and outside part of the collet will pop loose.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
find a bolt you dont care about that fits those threads and put a nut and washer on it. Locktite said bolt into the trapped insert and let dry, then use the nut and washer to pull the insert out of the bars.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
You won't pull it out that way. It's made so the farther you pull the center out the tighter the collet will get. That's what holds it in. You have to drive the center in to release it.

Reactions: ultimate fighter

·
The Wizard
32 Posts
What kind of bar end mirrors do you have? I picked up those universal ones off eBay and I had bars with solid ends drilled and tapped for my bar ends. So I took the part of the mirror that had the bar end off and put my old smaller bolt from the original and put it in the hole of the mirror and screwed them in.
Kinda hard to describe, I'll take a pic when I get a chance...

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
You won't pull it out that way. It's made so the farther you pull the center out the tighter the collet will get. That's what holds it in. You have to drive the center in to release it.
its made so that when you tighten it, it expands.... just need to catch a few threads not crank it down.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
its made so that when you tighten it, it expands.... just need to catch a few threads not crank it down.
the point is the part that expands (on the inside of the tube) is rusted in.
When that expanding part pushes against the mirror it then drags the cone up the threads expanding th grip inside.

pulling it out will only increase the grip. it needs to be punched in.
There is no other way

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
i disagree, but what do i know.

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts

All I see is a couple rubber grommets (12 & 14) and a clip (13), but I have no idea what the clip clips?

Later, Doug

·
FNG
68 Posts
look at the exploded view that was posted. the clip locks into a hole in the bar. take the throttle tube off and remove the grip from the other side, push the tab on the clip in and with a little WD40 they should slide out easily. Honda engineers be messing with you.
bb7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts