Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a joint project being undertaken with my fiance (Sradsix) - We have only basic knowledge and tools (although the tool kit is growing rapidly since we started the bike) and neither of us has undertaken anything like this before - so go easy on us, we are learning as we go and that's why we joined this site as we may need advice from experienced fighter builders.

The bike we are modding is a 1993 CBR600F2 (originally from France) and its my first "big" bike.
I rode 50-100cc bikes 30 years ago, but didn't pass my test back then (Doh!) and after shelling out lots of dosh for training, I passed my test in March 2013.

The back history of the bike, is that it was stolen from its previous owner and eventually recovered. The idiots that stole it actually scratched their initials in the paintwork on the tank and basically abused it so it looked in a pretty sorry state when I first saw it. As soon as I sat on the bike though, I knew it was the one for me :)

The first picture is the bike as it was when I first saw it. The second picture is a photoshop mock-up of what I intended it to look like (though plans sometimes change, as you will see later).

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still sorting the pics to get it up to date on here. The bike is back together now and ready to ride :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, pics are sorted out, so I can post a few more.

The front showing the original spotlights

The left side before any work

The engine was painted black, but not very well. Not even sure if it was VHT paint

Wheels are not bad in purple, but the swingarm is a bit rusty

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first job when we got the bike back home was a lot of cleaning - It still had black powder on it from when they took fingerprints from it when it was stolen and the side panels looked really dirty.

It looks a lot better when its clean :)

The spotlights had to go as they weren't working properly. Replaced them with a much smaller headlight. The whole front end looks crap at the moment, but I have a cunning plan for that later on.

I had the piss taken out of me about the bike having pink bars on it - I may be a woman, but I DONT LIKE PINK but I was quite happy to leave them on the bike as it became ironic for me to have a bike with pink on it LOL :)

It took an awful lot of work to clean the tank to this stage - The lacquer had come away and it was a real mess.

Close up of the lovely art work left by the thieves - Also shows the nasty dent as well

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to fast forward a bit now so you don't all fall asleep LOL

The guy who sold me the bike sent me an urgent message that there was a 1995 tank that may fit my bike on sale for another 12 hours at 1/2 price. As soon as I saw it, I figured it would be cheaper just to replace the tank I had with the other one, as it looked pretty good in the pictures and was very, very cheap. That also meant I had to buy some more stickers, as I already had the purple ones which we used on the photoshop pic but they don't cost much anyway. The new tank isn't perfect, but it is a whole lot better than the original one - No rust inside, only a minor dent on one side and a bit of scratching on the other side but I was really impressed given what I paid for it. I've put the next pics in sets of four. First up we have the new tank and the vinyl stickers:

The next thing we tackled was the extensive rust on the swingarm. It may need replacing later, but we stripped it back, painted it with red oxide paint and then sprayed it silver. Its not the best paint job in the world, but compared to the rust, it looks pretty sweet:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve :)

The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed in the set of pics above that part of the engine was now silver. After my fiance did another photoshop, he tried to convince me to change the engine back to its original colour as the bike didn't look as ratty as it started out. The compromise was that we painted some of the engine silver to see how it looked.

I relented after seeing it, and stupidly agreed it looked better (what an idiot I am)! That meant that I had to get the black paint (and the new silver paint cos it cracked) off the engine. Here't the start of that process

Here it is after many hours of work

And here's a pic with most of the black gone - why, oh why did I start doing this? The exhausts need to be cleaned off too. This is still a work in progress to get the engine and the exhausts much cleaner than they currently are.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now we get to the interesting part. Due to the front fork going from "light misting" as stated on the MOT, to peeing out over the brake caliper and disc, we had to sort the forks out on the CBR.

By now we had eaten up a lot of the savings and were getting short of funds. As it happens, my fiance has a 1997 Yamaha TRX850 just lying around doing nothing. We were going to fix it up for me as this bike was another victim of theft and has no plastics. It also suffered being left in storage, uncovered and uncared for by the police for years and it is in a very sorry state. We were never going to have enough money, time or knowledge to make anything of it, so we figured we would use it for spare parts. I needed front forks, and we thought we would give it a go. Not sure if we are stupid, or just enthusiastic amateurs LOL

Here's the TRX - some of the bike we had already stripped down and kept indoors, but we still don't have a whole bike anyway.

The first problem we had was getting the ignition block out of the top yoke. Apparently, they fix them in with break-away screws, so once in there, you can't get them out without considerable damage to the yoke

After getting the ignition out of the TRX yoke, we then had to modify it to get the CBR ignition block to fit, which required cutting it back and re-threading new screw holes in it

This is how it looks from the riders viewpoint. The ignition block is not a very good fit. As you can see, one of the TRX handlebars is quite badly bent and trying to replace it would prove to be a really big headache later on

We ground the yoke down in order to get the ignition to sit right

There were further problems to fitting the forks, which I will explain in the next part. They may be on the bike, but there was way too much play, even with the new headstock bearings.

That's all the pictures that are ready for now - As soon as I have sorted some more, I will add them to this thread. Thanks for reading - back soon with updates :)

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
:robssmilie:awesom thred I luv these start from a beatup old dog that was abused ta fook and then was revived by a good soul! Grate work tha pair of ya (re~black that motor;))
nice find ontha tank and persevere with tha forks you will win eventualy:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, but the motor will NOT be re-blacked because it looks fookin' ugly in black, when we get time and when we have finished all the other niggly problems will polish as much of the engine as we can without removing it from the frame.

P.S
Anyone know of any alloy swingarms that fit the 93 F2 without any major modification ie welding etc as that is way way out of my field of abilities.

On another side note I have considered pinching the TRX swingarm but by doing so it would change the angle and position of the shock, any idea how badly this would screw up the balance of the bike ?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
You have plenty of enthusiasm, but painting the engine in the frame, never mind the swingarm, is a bit half-hearted. Particularly considering the bike has a centre stand and being steel framed I think you don't even need the special castle-nut tool you would on an alloy framed bike, CMIIW.

You will learn so much more if you really pull it apart, clean and paint everything, and put it back together working properly.

Also find it hard to believe you had swapped forks for something that's not a direct fit, rather than just fixing fork seals. Also, aren't TRX and f2 forks both 41mm? Can't you just put the TRX forks in the CBR yokes?

Reactions: Selena

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Wow, you've saved the life of that poor bike!
Looking good so far, keep it up!

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts
great thread. keep the updates coming. it looks great so far.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In response to a_morti asking why we used the TRX forks

1) Cos we had them already and they cost nothing so may as well make use of what we have.

2) Because the brakes on the CBR are shite and the TRX has much bigger discs: 320mm floating ones compared to 276mm non floating discs originally. Also the TRX caliper pistons are around 30% bigger than the CBR ones.

3) The TRX front wheel has a carbon fibre mudguard which matches the one on the rear wheel and makes the bike look meaner :)

The forks as you say, are both 41mm BUT the TRX headstock was a few milimeters longer and had different bearings so it wasn't a direct fit. There was a very slight chamfer on the spindle which caused problems getting the new bearings to sit properly in the CBR headstock so in the end that had to be shaved down to be able to tighten the headstock properly and remove any movement in it.

As for stripping the bike down further - We have to work on the bike outside as we don't have a garage, driveway or even garden as we live in an upstairs flat. Quite often we have to throw all the tools back in the boot of my car (or the "Mobile Garage" as it is now called LOL) and make sure the bike is rainproof for the frequent rainstorms we have been having lately. Also, we are very, very new to tackling this kind of work on the bike and don't want to pull it apart too much in case we can't get it back together again.

In response to F'dup and Erki - Thanks for the comments and I am still sorting out the pics but I may have some ready very soon :)

Reactions: 370steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New pics

Thanks for your patience - Finally sorted the pics so will start with this one

The bike with the CBR front end still on it and in the process of disconnecting wires, lights etc..

Next we have the TRX forks and front wheel on the bike - This was a trial stage as it wasn't a perfect fit, but it shows how the carbon fibre mudguard changes the whole look of the bike.

Another with the TRX forks - I think it makes the bike look meaner with the black at the front. And the brake discs are much bigger than the original ones too.

Taken both wheels off so we can swap the tyre from the CBR wheel onto the TRX one as its still got a fair amount of tread on it

We also got a lovely new tyre for the back wheel (which Sradsix cleaned very thouroughly) Michelin Pilot Road 3. Got one on the Gixxer and so far its done 6,000 miles and only lost 1mm of tread :)

Next we put new clutch and throttle cables on so we had to strip the bike down a lot just to get access

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next batch of pics

Another problem we had which has slowed us down a lot is the TRX calipers. We broke one of the bleed nipples off and despite even a proper mechanic with proper tools trying to get it out, it was stuck fast. Sradsix found a real bargain on eBay and nobody bid against him so we picked up another pair of TRX calipers with pretty good hoses (although we already have braided ones) and they even had lots of life in the pads.

This is what I mean by problems with the brakes - The screws on the CBR master cylinder had no heads left on them and there was no way we could get them out, and believe me, we tried

Obvious thing to try next - does the TRX master cylinder fit? The answer - Yes it does

Remember I told you about the TRX handlebar being bent in an earlier post? We ordered one from a breakers - waited 3 days, and then they sent a message that they couldn't find it and refunded the money. Tried to buy another one which cost a lot more but was on "offers" but the dealer only wanted to knock 10% off which meant I could get a new one for nearly that price. So, went to the local dealers and ordered a new one. 4 days later the schmuk tells us that there are none in the country and it's on back order and won't be here for another 2 weeks (estimated, not guaranteed). So, I gave him a piece of my mind and said I didn't want the bike off the road for another 2 weeks and that he should have told us that when he took our money. I could have ordered one off eBay to arrive in 5 days, and he had wasted 4 of them. I will not be giving any business to them ever again. The upshot of all this is, we gave up trying to buy a TRX bar and bought some very shiny clip-ons instead.

Because the pretty, shiny bars don't have holes to stop the switches moving around, I found that using this tape works a treat as it is nobbly so it gives the switch something to grab onto.

The digital clocks have also finally arrived so leaned them on the bars to see how they look - This is not necessarily where they will go, depends on how we fit the bracket to hold them.

Reactions: F'dup

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and finally.....

So, now I have caught up with sorting pictures, I can finally bring this post bang up to date :)

The brakes were giving us problems, so we bought a bleed kit (and forgot to say, we also replaced the internals of the TRX master cylinder with a new kit). Got them working fine two days ago and got kitted up to go out for a razz in the sun yesterday. It was not to be - The front brakes were seized on. Spent all day yesterday trying to get air out of the system and failed so we have ordered new banjo bolts, copper washers and stainless steel bleed nipples before we bother to try it again. Also had to tweak the suspension as it was too soft.

As the bike is still not back on the road :( we spent today cleaning the exhaust, engine and Gixxer back wheel.

And here is the bike as it looks so far - Still need to fix the brakes, sort out how to attach and wire (scary) the digital clocks, and tidy up the wiring at the front when we finally remove the horrible bulky old clocks. And the rest of it needs a clean now with us taking the plastics on and off so often with dirty hands LOL

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Trx discs are 298, Not 320 but yes bigger is usually better in this department :)

I think you missed my meaning, which was why not slip the trx forks into the Honda yokes, considering both are 41mm? Barring major width differences it could work.

Could be your front lever is not compatible, they aren't always exactly the same an can cause drag by having the brake partially on. You need to stay with the trx master cylinder because of the bigger calipers, so perhaps try filing a bit off the lever or but a new lever if I'm right.

Could also be your caliper pistons are corroded in, remove the calipers one at a time, pump the pistons out as far as you dare, and clean like your life depended on it (it might). You have two sets of calipers so if a piston is bad thenmaking up one set shouldn't be an issue.

41mm is 41mm whether off Honda or Yamaha. You didn't consider cbr clip ons? They're higher and more comfortable and your switchgears would fit. Using tape to secure the left switches is kind of ok, but it is not acceptable in the right as you could wind up with a loose throttle grip when (not if) it slips. Also by tightening into the bar you will risk damaging the locating pins and screw threads, which are weak as they don't have to be strong if used properly.

Hate to be a douche, but you need to think twice cut once. Respect your enthusiasm levels though!

Reactions: 370steve

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
He im liking the build so far. I have a 1990 CBR 1000 that I have done a little work to. Check out my build. Also I have trouble shot pleanty of things wrong with my bike so I know a few things... and welcome to the forum!!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts