Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been a hot minute since I belonged to any forums, but I’m finding that they still have the best info and discussion. I’m looking forward to digging in here. I’ve been lurking for a couple days looking for any info I can find about my ‘86 CB700SC (Nighthawk). I’m doing a full frame up restomod and have been (painfully so) trying to tackle wheel swaps, which is proving to be difficult. Followed some old threads from other forums here and have reached a dead end. Hoping to learn more from this group.

Thanks,

JD

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Welcome in JD!

I worked on a ‘85 700 a while ago for a guy. It lead a rough life but was still going. Oddest thing was the crankshaft turned “backwards” from all the other I-4s I’ve ever worked on.

Anyways, rear wheel swap is obviously going to be a challenge with the shaft drive. Quickly looking at the parts diagram, the drive hub is used on 750/1100 Magnas, some Sabres etc so those may offer possible donor wheels. I don’t know what style or size of wheel you want.

Later, Doug

Reactions: Smoker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug, thanks for the reply. According to “spacetiger” (posted on here and other forums about 7 years ago) the wheel from a 2010 NT700V “bolts right on”. In fact he did it himself with pics to prove it. I bought one and it does fit the axle diameter and the splines seem to match up, but the axle itself is a bit too wide (maybe a 1/4 inch). As well, the diameter of the wheel hub is exactly that of the final drive housing (which sit over the top of the wheel hub, as I’m sure you know). Obviously that would cause the wheel to run on the housing. I’m racking my brain and going over every schematic I can find to see if I wasn’t following his path exactly.

To add some color here, I did a front end swap to R6 forks with a Cognito Moto steering stem which limits wheel selection for a matching rear. The NT700V wheel looks close and should work with the Yamaha wheels, aesthetically, as both have curved/swept spokes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts