Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference? Can anyone tell me?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
besides the obvious, inverted forks are generally stiffer and less prone to flexing. the downside being that in a good front end collision, that stuffness usually bends the frame instead of just the forks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what are the down sides to non inverted ones? Just wanting to know because im about to rebuild mine. Dont really want to put money into a new front end if its not really needed.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Handling *can* improve because of the stiffness... there's a lot more to handling though... like the actual building and gusseting in the frame.

Example: Lots of vintage bike guys think that USD forks will be an upgrade.. and they can be. But not so much when the refocussed rigid point is AT the neck, and the welds start to pop allowing the neck to actually move. :(

If your bike was designed specifically for standard telescopic forks it sometimes pays to keep them that way and just revalve and set them up more precisely for your weight and riding style. :)

One thing you commonly lose is adjustability. A lot of inverted forks out there are less adjustable.

I'm running 2002 GSXR 600 forks on my bike. Non inverted. Why? Because my frame won't handle the tension transferred by inverted forks well... because the stock Gixxer 6 forks are PHENOMINAL HANDLERS for being standard telescopic, and because these forks are IMMENSELY adjustable.

Just remember... suspension and chassis go hand in hand... take everything into account when you are looking to upgrade.

"If I upgrade to these forks, what other mods will I need to do to make the bike really handle to the best of it's ability?"

Motorcycles can only handle as well as their weakest link/setup point.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
DrunkNun's bike would do good with USDs but a set of properly valved telescopic forks isn't going to be much noticable difference.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea. I wouldnt think it would put to much stress on a steel frame. But im gonna rebuild mine and see how i like its handling verses my friends 06 gixxer 600. Obviously his will handle better but ill see how i keep up with him in the twisties.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
drunkNun said:
Yea. I wouldnt think it would put to much stress on a steel frame. But im gonna rebuild mine and see how i like its handling verses my friends 06 gixxer 600. Obviously his will handle better but ill see how i keep up with him in the twisties.
You'd be suprised...;)

I wouldn't hesitate to say that 95% of the bikes out there are improperly set up for peak handling due to chassis and suspension adjustments made by people who don't know what they are doing.

Done correctly a well tuned suspension setup for YOUR bike, YOUR weight, and YOUR riding habits is a night and day difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts