Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the greatest motorcycle stories ever told.

It will be a book or movie for sure. "Yuri and the Isle of Man fairies." :D

He proved EVERYONE wrong. And everyone is smart. It comes down to the mathematics of speed and distance. But nobody understood how fast he could be in the slow sections and corners.

Now he needs a single-cylinder 700cc motard with a high top speed - so he can head towards the podium!

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
Now he needs a single-cylinder 700cc TURBO motard with a high top speed - so he can head towards the podium!

Fixed. :D

If it doesn't have to stand up to trails and daily riding, a well built XR650R engine with an IHI RHB31 turbo (with the water lines run on it too) and a small intercooler (at least it would move fast enough regularly to move air through it) would probably bring up the top rpm power and top speed enough to really give it the average speed it needs. As long as you can get up to 135-145mph or so on the long straits, and still have some good mid range, I don't see why anything but rules would restrict a build like that from being rather competitive. Probably wouldn't last more than the testing and racing distance before it's really hammering on the weaker links in the engine, but until then, with a good setup on it and a sky scraper I beam level connecting rod, it may just do the trick.

Otherwise this would have my vote for upping the pace:

Hell the Maico with one of those Roland Sands super single bodykits would be unreal out on the IOM mountain course. Like a meth addicted GP250 bike. :D

·
BLACK BELT
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind, he ran a DETUNED 450. He lowered the compression and changed the titanium valves to steel.

The engine is going be rapped out at max rpms for long periods and has to last over a week! I think Yuri said over half of his class droppped out before the event.

Sounds like choosing the right engine is critical for success.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
He swapped to steel valves for durability? Huh. Interesting.

I've always been curious about titanium. A buddy's wife makes jewelry for a living. She says if you get titanium too hot while polishing that it will burn up. Maybe her definition of burnt isn't what I think it is, though.
Her burn definition=Fire

·
BLACK BELT
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just heard that 2-stroke 250cc GP bikes are coming back to the IOM!! :party-smiley:

Pretty sure they'll be in the Classic TT races, like our homie on his supermoto.

There aren't any 2-strokes in the actual IOM races, so that makes the Classic TT more attractive for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts