Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I bought a really cheap 1998 Honda 600 R, running but in a pretty neglected shape. Started to tear it apart to find out if I made a good or bad deal. Looking at the carbs, the pieces where the cooling hoses are attached are broken, and the hoses were bypassed. So, there is no cooling fluid running thru the carbs. Can the bike run this way without a risk of severe damage? What do I have to expect if I let this parts as they are now?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I believe what you're talking about is vacuum hoses not cooling hoses. The vacuum hoses must all be in the right place with no cracks or damage to them or else your bike will idle and run like complete shit. Find out in ID of the hoses and go to homedepot lowes or any auto parts store and buy new a length of hose and cut it down to the size you need them

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
No, not necessary at all, it's actually a heating system for the carbs. Honestly never understood why it is even there, Honda apparently didn't either as I've not seen it since that era. No worries, just make sure the holes are capped and the line is run to the proper places to bypass the system and you are good to go. ;)

Here is the info explained a little better:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/1998-f3-carburater-problems-78275/#post647290

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Who rides a bike cold or high enough to ice their carbs?
I rode my bike until November 31 in Minnesota. There were some days the high temp was in the high 20s. The ambient air temp isn't really the problem though. The air moving through the carb has a substantial cooling effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you thank you very much. Living all my life at desert temps (at this very moment we are at 126 F at plain sun and 114 in shade)I really cant figure out an air temp capable of freezing the carbs. I will check only for leaks, clean the carbs and keep on going. Thanks for your comments. :-D

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Since temperature is a function of both volume and pressure, changes in pressure (which most carbs operate on the principle of) carb icing can occur at temps well above what most people consider "freezing".

The following is specific to the ninja 250, but the concepts apply to any carbed engine. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is_carburetor_ice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.