Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Gixxer 1k, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to streetfighter it in a very simple and easy way, in particular, I'm worried how much work is involved to remove the front windscreen/fairing.... would I need to buy a new headlight and any accessories? I would also want to put some higher handle bars, maybe MX bars? would I then need all new cables? I don't really want to do anything complicated to the bike, I just want to make it completely naked and simplistic but functional. Just trying to decide if it's feasible for me, since I'm not very patient and don't own my own garage :).

The thing is, I'm not rich and am expecting I might sell the bike within about 2 years or so... so I want to be able to fairly easily convert it back to stock, so that it will sell more easily... so I don't want to do anything perminent to it.

I might decide to just keep all the fairings on and just put some MX bars and Corbin seat. Fuk, maybe I should just spill $16000 and get the KTM SuperDuke and not mod anything... damnit that bike's too expensive tho.

btw this is my first post, nice forum! I saw a link to this forum from groundpilots.com... hi britjoe, end0, The Green Lantern :)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
A gixxer 1k is an easy bike to fighter.

You'd want to take off the front fairing, fairing mount, lowers, and headlight. You'd need to buy a fork-mounted headlight.
For easy's sake, you'd ziptie the gauges to something.

If you buy an LSL handlebar kit, it'll come with the lines you need.

The wiring loom on a GSX-R1000 is easy to hide. Just unplug everything, tug the wires up underneath the frame and lay them under the left edge of the tank and set it back down.

And there you have it. GSX-R1000 streetfighter. You'd need mirrors that mount to handlebars if you care about mirrors, and fork-mount turnsignals if you care about front turn signals. Otherwise, you're all set.

Reverse process to unfighter and sell.

Most streetfighters like to put a lot of work into their bikes. Of any bike to take apart and turn into a fighter, the GSX-R1000 is one of the easiest.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I'm doin a 750 , Same bike pretty much, It's workin out good fer me. Do it up bro !!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
i would love to be able to fighter a gsxr 1k. what year are you talking here? a new one??

if your afraid of taking your fairings off, plan to spend a lot of money on your bike anyway, cuz you wont be able to change your own oil. I wouldnt own a bike if i couldnt spin a wrench or find my way around a garage. Im no expert, but am always learning. I began working on bikes a little when I used to have dirtbikes, but moreso after I got my first streetbike. Im not paying 65+ to get my oil changed! fuck that. i can do it for $20.

Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgable, so Im sure any problems youd come across could be solved. I would suggest buying a Clymer Manual or a factory manual for whatever bike you buy, to help you with things like basic maintenance and whatever else youd want/need to do.

WELCOME TO THE SITE

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
depends on hat you wanna do, just taking the fairings off, dosnt make it a streetfighter in my oppinion.

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Britjoe said:
depends on hat you wanna do, just taking the fairings off, dosnt make it a streetfighter in my oppinion.
Thanks for the tips everybody!

Britjoe, I completely agree. There's 2 reasons why it's hard for me to "build" a fighter right now from written-off bikes, instead of a half-ass one that I'm proposing... 1) I don't have a garage, and 2) I don't have a second bike to ride around on in the summer while the fighter is in progress :) I'm starting to think my idea isn't a very good idea if I'm planning to sell the thing as stock, because that will prevent me from making serious mods to the bike. Since I was thinking of getting a relatively new GSXR (2003 ish), it would almost be a bit of a waste - I would feel much happier taking cheap parts from written-off bikes and creating something rather than doing something wasteful and unnecessary.

But at the same time, deep down inside, one of the reasons why I like fighters so much is that it sets me apart from all the squids, and tells them that I'm not out there to show off and be one of the shell's angels and to be accepted into their clan, instead it says I'm out there to ride and ride only, and have fun. I could care less if I'm accepted, I'm not out there to impress the shell crowd. I'm out to ride and nothing more.

Since I really want a bike I can ride around next summer asap, I might forget about the custom fightering and just get a bike regardless if it's naked or not...

of if somebody is selling a streetfighter, I'm all over it...

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
well...

as britjoe said, a fighter is more than just stripping it down.

BUT

you can make a simple, basic fighter...with little modification..

AND

that you can easily return to stock if you plan to sell it that way.

Strip the fairings and the brackets that hold them. Put them all away in a nice safe place and label all your hardware.
Your main concern after stripping the fairings is how to make the front end look nice. You'll need a new headlight. One easily mounted, cool looking, and sufficient for riding headlight would be something like the an Acerbis dirtbike headlight. They mount with four rubber straps that wrap around your forks. This is also a good place to hide your wiring. I wrapped all mine up as neatly as possible(making sure there was enough loose wire that i could fully turn my bars in both directions) and ziptied them to the light and put them all behind the number plate. I also put my horn there, and my gauges. worked great! but not the cleanst setup. Cheapest tho. :D
Next concern will be your gauges. A thread was just posted with info about making your own indicator lights and also has info on how to mount gauges. You can either zip tie them (it really works, i did it last year) or you can make two very simple brackets that mount to the bottom of your tripple (prawly drill a couple holes and insert hardware).
Next concern is mounting your dirtybars.Buy a new top tripple clamp. Drill holes in the tripple so you can put dirtbike bar mounts into them, and run your dirtbars. Yes you will need some extended lines to reach the height of the new bars.
(this is the cheap option to buying something like an LSL kit. You'll spend roughly $250 for lines and dirtbars and a tripple -80 for bars and bout the same for lines and about 60 for a tripple. Whereas an LSL kit is like 400+ because they give you a new top tripple)

Now you have a very basic fighter... and the fighter disease is running thick thru your veins. This is when you'll probably decide to keep the bike, and start doing some heavy mods. And if not, you'll at the very least have a dif. bike that is VERY fun to ride, and easily brought back to stock condition.

but yes, either way, you should get a bike. Just think of how much more fun life is when your naked!

:cfrocks:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
I think we're a little dumbfounded in general by the idea of planning to sell a bike!

I fightered my bike and it's all I have to drive, but I'm a professional with a full array of tools and experience.

Good luck with whatever you do... Buying a cheap broken bike in addition to your beautiful GSX-R and building it as a fighter would be a better learning experience and would leave you with a real ass fighter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you considerd getting a salvage bike and fightering that one? That's what i'm doing. That way you'll have your Gsxr stock and available at all time.....and once you sell yor GSXR...you'll still have your fighter.

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haelo said:
I think we're a little dumbfounded in general by the idea of planning to sell a bike!

I fightered my bike and it's all I have to drive, but I'm a professional with a full array of tools and experience.

Good luck with whatever you do... Buying a cheap broken bike in addition to your beautiful GSX-R and building it as a fighter would be a better learning experience and would leave you with a real ass fighter.

Good plan :p My first step is to just get a bike 'cause I'm bikeless right now :)

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fpereira23 said:
Have you considerd getting a salvage bike and fightering that one? That's what i'm doing. That way you'll have your Gsxr stock and available at all time.....and once you sell yor GSXR...you'll still have your fighter.
Yeah that's probably the best plan.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
The biggest advantage of building up a wrecked bike is that you learn a lot, and you can come to us for help any time you want. We love feeling smart.

Building a bike is one of the most rewarding things you can do in the motorcycle world, especially if you build it exactly how you want it.
Then, when you get good, you can think about fightering that there GSXR1000

·
236 Posts
coteesh, not to sound like a dick, but how much riding have you done? I mean you don't sound like you've been into it that long. What other bikes have you ridden? No beef just curious.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
werd dude,pick up a crashed bike and make it yours:metal:if you need any help at all just ask man,that what where here for

the was a nice lookin fighter for sale on ground pilots,ill find a link for ya

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SNGPerformance said:
coteesh, not to sound like a dick, but how much riding have you done? I mean you don't sound like you've been into it that long. What other bikes have you ridden? No beef just curious.
Honda 919, only done about 20,000 km on it, about a thousand of those km in London/Paris type cities with traffic that is out of this world, lane splitting etc, and I'm still alive, so hopefully that says at least a bit about my competence. I understand your concern, and thanks, there's too many people starting out on crazy bikes, but I'm not a squid - I mainly ride alone. Indeed, I started out on the 919, arguably a dangerous starter bike, but I disagree, it's all I could have wanted, I wouldn't have gone any lower cc for the way I ride and for my Europe tour, and stop-and-go city riding and some touring. I want a bike with similar low RPM performance as the 919, but I want to try a different bike now, and I want to try one that is lighter because the 919 felt a bit heavy. This only leaves me with a handful of bikes that are indeed very dangerous. (however the SV1000 meets my requirements, but I don't like the way it looks all that much). But imo after comparing the dyno charts....

(blue curves are my bike), and since I am primarily in the low RPMs below 7000 and have no problems on my bike, I don't see there being such a huge step-up going from a 919 to a GSXR1000 as long as I don't do crazy shit like try to go 299 km/hr (that I don't see the point of really - my Dad describes it very well, who was a pilot - speed is all relative - try flying a plane near mach-1 near the ground. After you do that, nothing else seems fast any more, and what's the point, he says). I enjoy torque more than speed, and I don't want a cruiser.

by the way if I find that it really is such a huge step up, I'll probably end up selling it right away and getting another 919 or something.

·
superhero
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Green Lantern said:
werd dude,pick up a crashed bike and make it yours:metal:if you need any help at all just ask man,that what where here for

the was a nice lookin fighter for sale on ground pilots,ill find a link for ya

Thanks !! I tried finding stuff in the for sale forum but maybe it was deleted.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
[email protected] the name is Tim
thats all the info i had they must of deleted the thread,but i still have his e-mail address

and about the 919 being a dangerous starter bike-maybe and maybe not my first road bike was a 98 r1 and adam was a 929

1 - 20 of 27 Posts