Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on replacing the big ass stock speedo on my 2006 Ninja 650R with something a bit smaller, and these bobber/cruiser speedos look like they fit what I'm wanting perfectly. My only worry is, will it work? Theres a big wiring harness connecting my stock speedo, and this is a "mechanically driven" :confused: speedo. Is it just too much of a pain in the ass to use one of these speedos or is it really simple and I'm just a dumbass? Can anyone let me know what replacing it with this would include doing?

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/m...ntent=105028&gclid=COyluJumtbkCFQto7Aod3SAAug

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
No, not really any way you can retro fit a mechanical speedo on your bike. Not that I have ever seen anyway. You should be able to find an electronic speedo that looks like that pretty easy though.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yea not going to happen at least not with a shit ton of work. It would be much easier to fit a small digital speedo. There's a thread of nothing but reviews prices and all the good shit on speedos somewhere around here

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awwww....

But...it's so cheap! And so small! :bawling:

But if it's a pain in the ass, it's a no go. I've already checked out the thread, but I really am I not a fan of those. I like these so much because of the mounting design. Are there any like it?

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
You will spend more than $50 making your bike work with a cable setup unless you happen to be really handy with electronics. You could probably get it done for another $20 using an Arduino and a stepper motor with an appropriate controller. I love that idea, because it's so ass-backward, but it's probably not something you want to do.

For right around a hundred bucks, you can get any of a few universal electric mini speedos. Usually 2 1/8" body diameter (so the bezel will be a little bigger), but sometimes you can find them in 1 7/8" or 1.9". Do that instead.

Edited to add: Look up Speedhut. Their small gauges use a threaded collar, which clamps the mount between the gauge bezel and collar. You could easily make a mount like that for one of those, and it would look really clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts