Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 2704 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,681 · (Edited)
Working on the recovery tank design as time allows. Never owned or used a clear cover, so I'm just winging it. Definitely more difficult to use a fixed tank size, and make the window as large as possible.

Tolerances are tight. O-ring will be approximately 2.0mm. O-ring is approximately 2mm from the hole, and 2mm from the M4 screw threads.

Will need help with the CAD drawing, then can maybe 3D print a simple flat with just the O-ring groove. Need to find an appropriate size o-ring, or use cord stock.

The following area in yellow shows the size of the bezel. Left 5mm around the perimeter for the welding bead. I think the lexan should be slightly recessed into the bezel, to put the right amount of pressure on the o-ring when the bezel is fully tightened down.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,683 ·
you need drawing done mate ?
Thanks, dude.

I need to do a bit more drawing, first. Then, we'll see if you're still up for it.😂

I have a small gift for you. It was stuck at my brother's house in TX since October. Just got it about 2 weeks ago. Waiting to ship until I have to go to the post office, or until I get my 2nd vaccine shot in about a week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK, you know a thread is special when you come back after a year and are excited to see catch can updates.

The bike is looking amazing. Those coil holders made my jaw drop.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,688 ·
Been working on the new design but didn't get very far.

Nothing good to show. Original carbon panel fit rightly into the frame. Decided the new panel will be square and straight, but won't be form-fitting.

Next, need to cut the openings for throttle cables. Then, turn it into 3D.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,689 ·
Got some more work done on the electrical panels. Trying to make them removable, without disconnecting the throttle cable. Trying out an easily removable cover, to prevent a big hole under the throttle cable. Lots more to do.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,690 ·
Working on the coil placement. Plug wires aren't touching the throttle cables, but close.

Pondering if it's possible for sparks to jump from the plug wires/coil to the throttle cables, sending sparks to the bottom of the slides in the carbs, and going BOOM BOOM!

·
Breaking shit...
3,274 Posts
Working on the coil placement. Plug wires aren't touching the throttle cables, but close.

Pondering if it's possible for sparks to jump from the plug wires/coil to the throttle cables, sending sparks to the bottom of the slides in the carbs, and going BOOM BOOM!

possible, yes. likely, no. since the carb is attached to the motor by a rubber boot, they tend to be a poor ground (electricity is like water, follows the path of least resistance). if you're really worried a touch of shrink tube over the ignition cables or some of that fiber wiring loom near the area where the cables get close would make sure there's no conductive path if the wires were to chafe.

I like polyethylene spiral loom

or fiber wrap

either would keep the ignition wires from rubbing on anything, plus they look nice and tidy.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,692 · (Edited)
Mounted the coil on the cardboard panel. Looks awfully tall to fit under the tank.

Put on the fuel tank. Thank goodness for wasted space. Coil fits fine.

The cover design looked fine, until I saw that picture. Cover needs to be 2-piece construction to level the center piece with the panel.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,693 ·
Installed the throttle cable holder.

Looks close to the coil terminals, but the bolts will be cut way down. Won't interfere at all.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,694 ·
When I was installing the throttle cable holder, I noticed that the YPVS cables might run into the custom coolant recovery tank. Will need to properly install the cable housings to see how bad it is, and how hard it is to fix.

Took forever to decide where to mount the rectifier/regulator. Drawing up a titanium bracket that bolts onto an existing electric panel.

Still have a lot to draw, but getting there. (2) 6mm holes for the R/R, (2) 6mm holes for mounting the panel and bracket, (2) 5mm holes for P-clips, (4) 6mm speed slots.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,695 ·
Been changing the size & shape of the mockup recovery tank, so it looks right. Trying to figure out where to mount it on the panel.

A better view of the needles in the above pic.

Not easy to see, but there is some space between the frame and the tank.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,697 ·
I have 2 questions about the '07 GSXR 600 switch wiring. Ignition is brand new. Hope someone can help.

Ignition wires look like this:

The RED, RED, BLACK/YELLOW, and ORANGE are larger wires. (approx.18g)
The ORANGE/YELLOW, BROWN, and GRAY are smaller wires. (approx. 22g)

RED, RED, and BLACK/YELLOW = Always Hot
ORANGE, and ORANGE/YELLOW = Hot with ignition "On"
BROWN = Hot with ignition "PKG LAMP"
GRAY = Never Hot

#1- Test light lights up slowly, and is dim with ORANGE/YELLOW wire. Why?

#2- Test light never lights up with GRAY wire. Why?

Thanks.

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,698 ·
Wasted a lot of time and can't find the correct schematic.

I figured out that the GRAY wire probably goes to the dash for speedo/tach lighting, and the ORANGE/YELLOW wire probably goes to the (GSXR) ECU.

I think the correct conclusion is that the switch isn't working properly.

I may not need those 2 wires, anyway.

2681 - 2700 of 2704 Posts