Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

2701 - 2704 of 2704 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,701 ·
I know some Kawasaki ignitions have a strategically placed resistor so that the bike can’t be hot wired. If you know how to use a multimeter measure the resistance instead of voltage with a lead light
Interesting comment.

Most of the similar schematics I found show the ORANGE/YELLOW (dim) wire going to the ECU. One of the schematics I found said (theft) next to that wire.

I'll take a look. There's a cheap multimeter around here, somewhere. For sure, I've never used it.

·
BLACK BELT
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,702 ·
I dont have a schematic, but there will def need to be a ground in there. Lights coming up dim or slowly is usually a poor ground.
This was a hot topic for me.

All the similar schematics I found show a BLACK/WHITE wire that goes to ground.

I searched online yesterday and the info I found said ignition switches don't need to be grounded. So, I'm confused.

To confound this issue, check out the wiring on my switch. This isn't modified. Brand new from Suzuki. The BLACK/YELLOW wire is spliced into the 2 RED wires.

·
Breaking shit...
3,273 Posts
yeah, the schematic is hard to see here at work but it looks like the ignition switch is a passthrough for power distribution and each circuit(s) are individually grounded. it is weird though, like you said, when I look up wiring info I keep seeing posts about a black wire as a ground. I did find an article about a guy swapping an 06 gsxr 600 ign switch into a kart and another member posted a pretty nice write up on how to do it, but it uses the black wire as a ground setup that you dont seem to have.... still, here is a link, since youre making a custom application, the info might be useful.

swap info starts at post #4

·
Breaking shit...
3,273 Posts
thinking about it, it might be easier to figure out a wiring solution with a multimeter than the schematic. the big red wire is the 12v supply from the battery (via the starter relay in the schematic, but that doesnt matter). using a battery, attach positive to the red wire and the negative clamp of your test light to the neg of the battery. with the test light, test each wire of the switch in each position of the switch and write down the results. some circuits will be key on battery power (AUX power for key on but no ignition power), some key off power (for memory units and ecus) and some will only be powered under running position. once you know those outputs, you can wire each component of the bike in as needed.

that sounds complicated now that i re-read it but it really isnt. try it and if you need any electrical help just let me know and Ill help however I can.

2701 - 2704 of 2704 Posts