Got most of the wiring finished. Finished the rewire of the regulator, reran the melted wire to the ignition, got the tank worked out, fuel lines rerun, and spent a pile of time swapping to the gauges and mounting the headlight. I'm sadly not happy with it. I'll take pictures of it come daylight.
Things left to do:
Repin the fuel level sender plug (currently reads full when empty and vice versa)
mount and wire the taillight
mount the floor and front panel
wire the auto-enricher
And then with any luck I'll make it down to GreenMachine's without problems. If I get down there I'll make it a point to get some wicked tire destruction on camera
I wired everything, plumbed everything, planned for everything......except an oil catch can, since I have the engine at an angle that wouldn't let the oil pool in the head and blow out.
Got 7 miles from home and it fucking seized on me. I just got back from loading and unloading it onto the truck by myself with no ramps. That was fun. Finally time to see if that motor from the donor frame still runs or not. Today has NOT gone anywhere near according to plan. In spite of the engine angle, it looks like it was still blowing out the vent anyway.
So after some 3 hours of cleaning the shop <coughpatiocough> I finally moved the scooter into the bay <coughemptyspacebetweenpicnictableandshelvingcough>, pulled the engine out and started tearing it down on the bench. I found the problem, and this one is interesting.
Remove spark plug, note that it's light brown, dry, smells a little like burnt oil. But it's still the China plug so who knows
Remove cam cover
Remove rocker assembly
Remove cam, note that bearings are still smooth and spin nicely
Remove head, note that piston has light coating of carbon
Remove jug.......with a prybar. Note that cylinder is gouged and piston is ground down on one side
Note that connecting rod still swings back and forth smoothly on crank.
Piston was more or less frozen on it's pin. I pulled one clip out, wire clip. Go to pull the other one out, and it's JAMMED. Methinks I found the problem.
Oil was a low, but not critically. Had a decent amount seep out when I popped off the valve cover, head, and jug. I drained the oil by way of the "filter" housing. The thimble filter/screen was covered in what looked like rusty flakes and black muck. I know I should have checked that when I did the oil change, but I'm not sure if that was the actual cause of all this or not.
Tomorrow I'm going to loosely assemble everything and move that off the bench. I want to get the other motor up on the bench so that I can clean it up, go over everything, and swap the stator/ignition and see if I can get it to fire up.
Guy came and looked at it today, he's gonna mull it over for a little bit. In the mean time I'm gonna start cleaning it up and finishing what I can with what I have on hand. Wiring is ready to be loomed, I can finish the headlight mount, start cleaning up the welds to get it ready for paint, maybe even pick up a couple rattle cans to make the frame look more uniform. Just anything I can do to make it look more complete and in need of less. At this point all it really needs is to finish a couple brackets, install new bars, replace some hardware, fibreglass a rear body panel, fix one of the current motors/install a new motor, and a couple other misc small bits. Since I need to pick up a truck, about all the money I'm willing to drop on the scoot is for a few feet of wire loom and a couple cans of black to spray the frame. With any luck, the cleanup work and finishing the few brackets might be enough to make it look more viable. As it is I'm only selling it for 200 since its just a basic project with current title and plates. Worth it for the base platform alone as far as I'm concerned.
Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
A forum community dedicated to Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!