Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she never made it to the show in the 2013 Build Off, So I figured what the hell lets try again :D
Legal Business

I literally have not touched this since last may, only to put it on the newly acquired lift.
List of Mods Left to do:
-Extensive Frame Bracing
-Paint
-Mount and Wire Gauges
-Oil Tank in the Seat Cowl
-Seat Foam and Upholstery
-Mount Rear Sets
-Rear Brake Stay
-License Plate Mount
-Front Sigs and Mirrors
-lots of other crap i will run into along the way!

I need to finish this Bike:doh:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well not a bike update, but I have the shop all ready to get the party started:D
I haven't had it this clean since I built it. No excuses I must DW!
First up, complete the wiring. The harness is completely unmolested. With the Iggy system I bought last year, I shouldn't have to cut anything which will be nice.
The super regulator has a large enough capacitor that I won't need a battery either. should be nice and clean.

On a side note, I did find all the pieces to put the ZX6 USD's Front end on my KZ...

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I got down to business last night. Not big business though. I thought the washers in the headlight mount looked a little too ******* for this build so I built some spacers on the lathe.

From this

To this

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i finally got a little done. Ordered a steering damper from Fast From the Past and a Fork mount. Mocked them up last night.

The only thing I can't figure out is why it came with ball ends on both mounts. There is no way to tighten it up so it does flop around like a spent dick. I need to find an eyelet with a rubber bushing in it like an original damper. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't done much but did have a chance to DW yesterday. I prepped the wiring harness for install. Cleaned up nicely I think.

I am working on getting the rearsets figured out, hopefully I will get some inspiration tonight.

I am looking at shocks and not sure what I should go with. I do like these though, pricey little bastards, anybody know where to get them cheap?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a few things accomplished in the late hours last night. I think I may have the rear sets figured out.
I was trying to use a set off of 636 but they just won't work.
I have a right side only off a 1999 R1 and it seems to fit the bill, so I will a little help from my friends to track down the left side!

So I am at another cross road, Do I use the stock oil tank and side plate or ditch them both and leave the frame wide open? in either option I will be making an aluminum plate between the frame rails to keep the wheel from throwing crud all over.

OPTION 'A' - Original Oil Tank and Side Plate

OPTION 'B' - Scrap the plate and tank

Let me know what you guys and gals think looks better.

I also spent a little time on the lathe building some replacement headlight mounting bolts/spacers.

Before

After

That's all for now

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been a while so I figured I better get moving on this thing. Here is what I have accomplished in last couple of nights. The left rear set came in from E-bay but as I suspected the shifter would not work. So I built a bushing/spacer to fit the Gold bandit shifter I had and here it is.

Anyone need an R1 Shifter??

So then I added he wiring harness and only have 1 wire that I have no idea where it goes. Not bad, but I still have to wire up the gauages. I went through many mounting positions and options
OPTION 1 - Mount off of Steering Stem

Different but sticking up too high.

OPTION 2 - Mount on Triple and Stem

Still too high, So I went with this.

Here is the bracket I fab'd up and had welded this afternoon, hopefully I can get it on tonight.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Managed to DW last night, Mounted up the Gauge bracket

since I had the top clamp off I figured I should sand the casting marks off and polish it
Before:

The whole thing put back together

Hopefully put the last coat of Bondo on the seat cowl

Now its decision time, Which seat type do you like better Flap or No Flap? Most likely will be the same type of suede type material.

Flap

No Flap

I'm diggin the diamond pattern stitching

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was wrong about the Bondo, I sanded it out and it needed yet another coat, that was until I knocked it off the bike and it hit the floor:doh: Not that much damage though. Put the last layer on and should get to sand it off tonight. Managed to get some lathe time in as well and made some rear set mounting spacers.

Drilled a couple of holes and

That's when I noticed that the right rearset bracket is bent. Should have just bought a new set of Chinese knock offs, would have been cheaper! Should be able to straighten it I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started working on beefing up the frame. I read lots of different views on a bunch different forums, most say the frame is fine with no bracing, some swear it needs it, some say most of the flex is in the swing arm. Well I say beef the shit out of it because it can't hurt. So I started cutting some pieces to fit

This is the original frame in the front, no cross bracing at all, uses the engine mounts to make it solid I guess

I will add this tube and one more at the bottom somewhere

The next area is the neck, these bikes are prone to cracks in this area so I will add some 1/8" plate to stiffen it up

Stock

Bottom Plate cut, I don't have wide enough stock for the upper plate so back to the Metal Supermarket

I am using this as a guide, I can't remember where I found it but it seems to make sense

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been busy cutting steel for the frame bracing, this little gem is earning her keep

More shots of the bracing

What's that you say? Why is the left head off? Well because I'm a Fookin Idiot and tried to straighten the cooling fin and broke it off. I know, I know, should have never tried but every time I looked at it I wondered if I could straighten it. Now I know the answer:doh:

But My Buddy Rodger saved the day

And after a little sanding and polishing

Whew, that was close. Sanded out the tail section and built a plate bracket. Fookin police around here will probably give me a ticket for this but oh well.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I broke the fin on the head, I have been chatting with an engine guru on Kawasaki Triples Canada. Upon first inspection of the cylinders it looked like someone got a little happy with the dremel and hogged the ports out too much. So I was a little scared the engine wouldn't run at all because of this. My plan was pour the fuel to it and see what happens. Well the dam thing runs. I am having problems getting fuel into the carb bowls. It seems like it is air locked. If i pull the fuel line of it runs out like a bastard, but put it in the carb and nothing. not sure if it the filters I am using or what. If you have any ideas let me know. Since it runs I am going to tear it back down, weld up the frame bracing and start the painting process. Everything is mocked up and seems to functions well. I really like the ignition boxes I bought from Lakeland, nice spark and no battery required! Somehow I managed to get enough fuel for it to fire right up and run for a bit. Here she is firing on all cylinders, I felt like a kid on Christmas :D

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been working on the bike just haven't had a chance to post the progress. I made a seat pan to drop off at the Upholstery shop. I was lazy and didn't want to mask it off so I just wrapped a garbage bag around the tail piece!

All nicely trimmed up

Then I figured I better strip it back down to start welding in the frame bracing

I am really not a good welder:doh:

Since I am using a later model cap on an early oil tank, I needed a breather tube of some sort because neither the tank or the cap is vented. So I found a brass banjo fitting off an old oil pump I had in a box and a made a brass bolt, drilled the center out so it could breath and mounted it to the tank.

I got to the bottom of my carb problems, the floats were set way to low. As soon as the bowls were bolted on they were closed. So I am in the process of resetting the levels. Should be fine after that.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small update, didn't want you to think I gave up yet! I glassed the mounts to the seat pan. Dropping it of at the upholsterers today. Hopefully they can have it done by before the deadline.

I also built a jig to set the float levels on the carbs. These carb bowls don't have a drain plug so I drilled and tapped a fitting into an old bowl. Shouldn't be any more issues now.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well back to square one one. The bike is all apart to weld all the frame bracing on. I wish I was a better welder:doh:

My favorite is welding the round tubes, that's a fookin disaster!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what I have been up to for the last few days...
Start

Drum roll please...

Looks fookin great!

Seat should be done by mid next week too!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing Exciting, just more frame bracing. I think I am done though. Welds look much better thanks to my welding coach Shinyribs! Thanks Bud it helped.

There will be no excuses now for flexy frame! Now to strip and paint

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the frame bracing complete it's time for the inner fender. I cut and bent this out of some aluminum sheet I had. Just not sure how to fasten it. I can weld tabs and bolt it, but that seems lame. Must be some good ideas out there somewhere??

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I figured it out, Although Cookie had a great suggestion, but I opted for this. I was going to weld tabs and use nuts and bolts but thought that was too simple. So I built a bunch of threaded posts on the lathe and welded them to the frame.

First I spaced the fender plate away from the frame by 1 washer(Universal measurement in my garage). Clamped them in and welded them.

Doesn't look that ugly from the side you can see and the back side is nice and clean. Easy to install too!

Now time to polish it and paint the frame

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this update is for you Handsome Matt, even I was excited to post this up! Frame is at the powder coater and should be done on Monday. So that left me some time to finish off the triples. I sanded down the casting flange and polished the beast up.

Started like this

After a little sanding with the die grinder

And ended up like this:

I am super stoked with how this front end is coming together. Can't wait til next week to get the frame back

1 - 20 of 28 Posts