Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first official post here, but I've used this sight for alot of research in the past. On to my question....

I just got a J30 headlight that I'm going to pull the projectors from and mount on my sv650s. What relays do I need?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the projectors will be running 9005 bulbs. My current headlight is the stock SV650s which has two H4s.

·
Old, bold rider
179 Posts
The simplest way to do it is to connect the low beam bulb to the original low beam wire and the high beam bulb to the high beam wire. The 65 watt 9005 bulbs aren't that much higher wattage than the H4 bulb, so the dimmer switch should be able to handle the load.

On the other hand if you go with commonly available 100 watt 9005 bulbs or are a "Belt and suspenders." type, a single SPDT Bosch pattern relay rated for 30 amps would serve to switch both with the normally closed #87a pin to the low beam, the normally open #87 pin to the high beam, and the #30 pin connected to switched and fused power.

To connect the relay coil #85 and #86 pins, ground one and connect the other to the original high beam wire. Be sure to insulate the unused low beam wire by folding it back on itself, shave a small sliver off a stick of hot melt glue, place heat shrink tubing over the wire along with the hot glue sliver, and shrink it over the wire. The hot glue will absolutely seal the wire in and prevent the shrink tubing from coming adrift.

Wherever you mount the relay be sure the pins point down: if they point up water can puddle around the pins and work its way into the relay case, causing corrosion and failure.

Most automotive stores carry the relays and 9005 bulb sockets, but if you are going to use higher wattage bulbs (or are the aforementioned belt and suspenders type) look for ceramic sockets rather than the more common plastic bodied sockets. They cost a bit more but absolutely will not melt.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The simplest way to do it is to connect the low beam bulb to the original low beam wire and the high beam bulb to the high beam wire. The 65 watt 9005 bulbs aren't that much higher wattage than the H4 bulb, so the dimmer switch should be able to handle the load.

On the other hand if you go with commonly available 100 watt 9005 bulbs or are a "Belt and suspenders." type, a single SPDT Bosch pattern relay rated for 30 amps would serve to switch both with the normally closed #87a pin to the low beam, the normally open #87 pin to the high beam, and the #30 pin connected to switched and fused power.

To connect the relay coil #85 and #86 pins, ground one and connect the other to the original high beam wire. Be sure to insulate the unused low beam wire by folding it back on itself, shave a small sliver off a stick of hot melt glue, place heat shrink tubing over the wire along with the hot glue sliver, and shrink it over the wire. The hot glue will absolutely seal the wire in and prevent the shrink tubing from coming adrift.

Wherever you mount the relay be sure the pins point down: if they point up water can puddle around the pins and work its way into the relay case, causing corrosion and failure.

Most automotive stores carry the relays and 9005 bulb sockets, but if you are going to use higher wattage bulbs (or are the aforementioned belt and suspenders type) look for ceramic sockets rather than the more common plastic bodied sockets. They cost a bit more but absolutely will not melt.

Rob
Wow, thanks a million. That answered pretty much everything I thought to ask. I'll be sure to post up some pics of the finished product!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used these exact same headlights on my SV650. No relay or anything. Just wired low beam to low beam and high beam to high beam. Worked just fine. Never had an issue with overloading.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's definitely good to hear. Do you by chance run HIDs in your setup?

I'm a bit nervous about using the stock wiring, but I'm thinking 35w HIDs should be enough light output. but I'd welcome a second opinion!

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
That's definitely good to hear. Do you by chance run HIDs in your setup?

I'm a bit nervous about using the stock wiring, but I'm thinking 35w HIDs should be enough light output. but I'd welcome a second opinion!

No I did not. If that is an option for you then I would look for a harness that makes your setup plug and play from the H4 harness on the SV to the ballast that you will need to run HID's. Holler at SabreV45 on here. I literally JUST got done having that conversation with Him and He actually might have the harness youll need as I almost bought it from Him...hell I still might lol. anyways also lurk on HIDPlanet.com or register and find the info you need. It WILL be there more than likely. If you have any more questions with your SV Im just a PM away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts