Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
...Diamonds on my neck...
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a riding jacket. Any prefrences between a leather jacket or (I'm not sure what to call the other material) a Joe Rocket style?? I'd probably only use it for night riding. I've seen that some a elbow and spine protection, how comfortable are they?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
more comfortable than picking gravel out of your skin, thats for sure

·
Life is SVeet..
534 Posts
I bought one of these the other day.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...kets and Vests/Class3/Textile Jackets/Class1/

Did not expect much for the price...but man when it showed up :vshock: :wtf: I was amazed at how good this jacket is, thought they sent me the wrong thing. This is definitely the best deal I have ever had buying a bike jacket..I could :rant: on and on about it...Has body armor in all the places you need it and is very comfortable.. It is completely waterproof as well. I would definitely recommend it...:rock:

·
Registered
121 Posts
What it will really comes down to is:
1.) Where in the U.S. are you located? and
2.) Do you ride in all weather conditions or all season?:confused:

There are a lot of great options out there. You just have to see what fits your needs. Look online at Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Teknic, Icon...the list goes on and on. Happy hunting. :D

·
...Diamonds on my neck...
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wrecked on a go- ped once, so I know road rash..:D
I'm in S Florida, hot and humid ALL the time. I did go to bike shop to try some different ones. All seemed comfy. Basically I'd like to know if you'd pick leather or the other material jacket and why??

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
is s florida I would go with a mesh or non-leather jacket. they seem to breath easier.

·
Dead Man Walking
125 Posts
I've been happy with my NJK leather jacket (I to live in FL and still where the leather) and when you order a leather one you get a textile one free :rock: . The only thing i had go wrong wit it (well minus some scuffs from a get off) was the zipper broke but he fixed it for free :party-smiley: .

·
Go hard or go home
4,795 Posts
I'm in Cape Coral (SW Florida) I personally have 1 mesh jacket, which is all I wear now that it's getting hot and humid, and one "hybrid" jacket which is leather and fabric. Nobody I've ever seen down here wears all leather jackets. It's just too hot unless you're riding at 60+ MPH all the time.

I still sweat my balls off with the mesh jacket. Every dam stoplight is like waiting in a sauna. I would think I'd pass out with heat stroke if I was in an all leather jacket.

·
863 Posts
perforated sucks for fast 150+ in my opinion

but is wonderful for everything else when its warm....

ps - i have like 5 jackets a rain suit and full leathers....1 for just fast, 1 for cold, 1 for fast and hot, 1 for cruisin, 1 for etc etc

dont expect 1 jacket to do everything unless you only do 1 thing yourself....and if you ride in cold weather - sub 40 degree - buy some old beat SERIOUS 1 piece leathers that are a bit on the large side. nothing on earth will keep you warm like wearing a 1 piece leather with shit underneath and a windbreaking layer over top, its the best shit in the world. i ride year round, in the snow, rain, whatever. ill never NOT have a 1 piece leather again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you can handle leather, I would go for it. Personally I wear mesh in the summer, whether here in Memphis or when I lived in Mobile. It's light and extremely breezy. I personally like the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. It comes with a liner as well so you pretty much have a three season/ rain riding jacket. Leather in the rain would suck. Teknic makes the Supervent Jacket. I haven't worn one, but it seems to be a good garment.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I'll second...or third the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. I just ordered another one today as my last one was a little work out. It's perfect for keeping you cool and riding in the wet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have two joe rockets... Love em both.. I have the phonenix for hot weather & the ballistic for cooler weather. I have long arms or at least by motorcycle standards. So I have a easier time finding things with a better cut with the textile jackets.

Good luck though

·
Rable Rable Rable
8,319 Posts
I have the Icon Decay mesh, most of the guys on here don't think it's worth much, I haven't dumped it at speed so I couldn't really say.

It does have armor, it is pretty cool (temp wise), it looks good, Has a removable liner, and I got it for $120 shipped on ebay.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
check out Shift. I like mine allot

1 - 20 of 27 Posts