Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Discuss the build here please.

Got started a day late and late in the day at that:

My bike is a 1992 Suzuki GSX-R750 oil cooled. I got this maybe a month ago and it's in bad shape but so am I so we should get along fine. Plans for the bike include:

-Upgrading the fuel delivery, intake and exhaust

-Updating a few pieces such as the suspension, switch gear, headlights and other little bits of flare here and there

-Custom tail and subframe to be determined

-Installing a new wiring harness because this one is riddled with things like this:

and OH YEAH, I have no idea if this engine will even run, so this may turn into a 7/11 build...

This build is going to be an uphill battle the whole way. As most of you know last October I was in a really bad bike crash with the SV650 that got me 2nd place in the 2012 Winter Build off. the wreck cost me a lot of things but mainly my left leg all the way to my upper thigh. BUT I'm apparently hard to kill and I'm not letting this bullshit keep me from what I love:

Anyways on to the build. I only had about an hour and a half of day light so not a whole lot got done. I spent all of it just tearing into the bike. This is right after my housemate rolled it into the shop for me:

I quickly noticed whilst tearing into this thing that it's been abused, and worked on by a compete idiot. Everything's so bashed up and neglected on it. Check ou my sweet oil cooler, cherry right?

I also noticed when throwing a stump over it that I really don't like the placement of the rearsets. I;m gonna look for a way to give my legs a bit more room. That being the case clearance with the muffler might be an issue but I wanted to do an under frame exhaust anyways:

Today's bounty:

and here's how it currently sits:

I've got some good bits coming in from forum members which I'm excited about. Here's a little taste:

Thats all for now. Thanks for viewing.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Jackstand Johnny's 1992 GSX-R 750

MAN today was a good day in the shop. Just had a lot of fun. Got the removed the exhaust, oil cooler lines, rearsets and subframe. Also got the bike on the jack. That was not easy by myself:

Oh check out this top notch fab work for the bolt on subframe(THIS WAS NOT MY DOING):

Looks pretty squared up at least. I think the top right mount is bent though:

Cue the song "Grinding" by Clipse. Gonna be throwing some sparks in my near future.

Wanna see some more brilliant engineering? AWESOME!This is the subframe. Thin walled aluminum square tubing with NO support or anything. Just a huge hole drilled through it for the NUTS AND BOLTS to go through to hold the subframe one...yaaay:

So that's it man. I'm out of daylight at 5. I spend the rest of my time drinking Reds apple ale, smoking Marlboro 27's and blasting some Beastie Boys. Here's how it sits:

Next step is pulling the wheels, swingarm, forks etc. and cleaning them up.

Thanks for viewing.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Haven't got much done. Been running around getting parts and things to help keep the shop organized. I met up with GSF1200R to pick up a couple slingshot gas tanks and a wiring harness. I also gave Him the forks He won in the raffle:

Then I went to Buzz and Ned's with my Dad and ate a bunch of baby back ribs and sweet potato fries. I did however manage to pull the wheels off. THEY ARE HEAVY. I mean I really don't like how heavy these chrome rims are. I think they have to go. Hmm I wonder what I'm gonna replace them with? Here's how I left it yesterday:

Also my Dad brought me some stainless steel tubing. I wonder what this will be used for?

Oh and these came in the mail a few minutes ago:

They're RS36 flatslides. That's it for now. I'm about to have a smoke and then I'm off to the shop to get some more done.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't have power to the shop yet so I have to quit around 5 when the sun goes down. I was able to pull the rear shock and suspension knuckle, and the front end. The lower bearings are shot in the triple tree so those will be replaced. I also did some grinding and dressing on this crime scene of a frame:

Somewhere along the lines someone welded thick aluminum tabs to the frame so a bolt on subframe could be used. It was REAL sweet of them but they did a shit-tastic job. The mounts aren't square. They're off by about 6mm and both the right side mounts are kicked out further than the ones on the left. So that'll be fun to deal with.

Then I decided to check out the top triple to see how smooth the bottom side of it is to drill holes for bar risers. Like an idiot I assumed it would be as smooth as the top. I assumed wrong:

Gonna have to have that milled out. My machine shop bill is getting higher by the day. So that's about it. the rest was just measurement taking. Here's how She sits as of right now:

Oh and as always I really wanna hear what yall think about...anything really. What I should do next, problem solving, anything. Thanks for viewing and stay tuned.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Got it torn down a little more today. Had to buy the right sized socket to get the swingarm pivot bolt out to remove the swingarm. I also got a rubbermaid tub and filled it with purple power/water to clean parts. A ghetto parts washer if you will. Also after deliberating with a few guys here I finally sucked it up and chopped the subframe mounts off the frame. They weren't square and I couldn't possibly have Knifemaker87 try to build a square subframe off such a shitty foundation. Here's the progress on that thus far:

Gotta finish grinding and sanding tomorrow as I ran out of daylight today. Also I've been asking around about rotating the crank to check and see if the engines seized or not and everyones telling me to pull a cover off the right side and spin the bolt to rotate it but I'm having trouble figuring out which cover. Is it the small on on the bottom right of this picture?

So that's it for now...

...Oh wait there's one last little thing. I figured out what to do about that heavy chrome rear wheel. Decided to delete the entire rear end and update it with something a little cooler, but yall don't wanna see that do you?

You do? Oh awesome!

Well I found a good deal on a complete 2004 Hayabusa rear end on Ebay so I made the guy an offer for a lit less and He took it. Should be the same as the K4 GSX-R1000 swingarm or at least not far off. Gonna have to shim the front sprock AH FUCK IT yall dont give a shit about the technical stuff. You just want my doggy style:

200 rear tire:

I know the tires no good for street use BUT if all goes well at the end of the buildoff I'll still get my moneys worth out of the rear tire. That's REALLY it for now. Thanks for viewing. Stay tuned and as always tell me what you think!

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Got a bit accomplished today. First I pulled the crankshaft cover and spun the crankshaft to see if the engine was seized. A concern that's been worrying me quite a bit. I pulled the cover and found dirt lodged inside it. How the HELL did THAT get there?

So I used a breaker bar and turned the allen head bolt in the center shown in the 1st pic and I've got good news and bad news:

-The good is the engine spun freely and I didnt even have to break it loose.
-The bad news is I never took the spark plugs out. I didnt have to. Even with the plugs in the engine spun freely with little resistance. I am now worried that it has no compression. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Moving on. I finally finished grinding and dressing the rear of the frame. Making it a clean slate for Knifemaker and myself to work with for the subframe:

Now the good stuff. I did a successful mock up of the Hayabusa rear end and I didnt need to have spacers machined! I'm in the process of doing a "how to" in the fighter swaps section found here.

The Cliffs notes are that I was able to use the slingshot pivot bolt spacers in conjunction with the Busa spacers rather than having spacers
machined:

THAT ASS:

I've got a little ways to go before it's all done but this is a small victory in the build.

Here's how I left it today:

That's all for now. Thanks for viewing.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just wanted to give a little update. I got the tail I THINK Ill be using in the mail the other day. I really dont know if itll work cause it seems the seat pan is too small but I have an idea to at least make the seat longer to give my junk some breathing room. I've been super busy but this weekend I should be getting some more work done. Also if anyone has a small tail section or cool seat they wanna part with holler at me. A back up plan never hurt anybody.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Got what might be the tail in the other day and I started chopping. It was attached to a gas tank cover. It's all for a pocket bike if I didnt already go over that. anyways it might be too small but I think I can work with it. The tail has the perfect lines and angle for a second gen SV650/1000 taillight so I went ahead and got one of those too:

See underneath the tail? this should fir in there nicely:

Just like this:

So after I cut the tank cover off I saw it lying on the floor and realized it might make a pretty cool headlight mask. what do yall think?

That hole would be perfect to shove a projector in don't ya think Im thinking on making another hole offset to one side below the main one to run another light or something like that just to give it a funky look like Constant had on His Slingshot. Remember that build? Also the top of it follows the line of the gas tank really well when angled a little bit. I'm still on the fence about heating it up and giving it a round vertical contour. Feel free to chime in on that. It might look cooler but it will make mounting a headlight to it much harder as well as making it harder to mount to the forks sine the sides of it will no longer be parallel.

Lastly I got a nice surprise from our very own Knifemaker87(Chris). He sent me pics of the new subframe mounts and bosses we're gonna use to weld to the subframe tubing. Pretty damn nice if you ask me but what do you expect?:

I'm in the process of getting the chassis rolling again to bring it to Him. Expect a seriously badass tail section on this thing in the next couple weeks. Thats all for now. Stay tuned and thanks for viewing.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Okay I haven't had any updates in a while. Hit a serious wall with this thing a while back and I don't have the right tools to fix it. I cant man handle it like I need to with one leg and the front end is basically seized up in the frame cause there's no bottom bearing in(long story don't ask). Anyways I'm also heaving a real hard time with the rear end and Knifemaker and I weren't able to get anything done with the subframe. I've got major surgery in 5 days and Chris is moving so I don't know if this is gonna happen at all now. I am not optimistic at all at this point, but It's way too early to give up. We'll see what happens.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

UPDATE: I FINALLY broke this bitch loose where it counts. I just gave myself some room to move ahead in the build.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I've been dealing with surgeries and complications with my leg for the past couple months and havent done anything with any of my bikes. I physically havent been able to. I DID however just buy a pair of adjustable lowering links for the rear end that should in theory solve my clearance issues and allow me to move on with the build. I am not giving up on this or quitting or anything, but I dont see how I'll be able to finish the buildoff in time. Only time will tell I guess.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

PROGRESS!

Yesterday I picked up a used HF 12 ton hydraulic press and Craftsman 6" dual bench grinder(BRAND NEW) for $100! I needed the press to press that stubborn feckin' stem bearing down on the steering stem and the bench grinder, well that was the bartering tool to get the press for so cheap haha.

So anyways my phone died while working so I didnt get pictures but today I pressed the steering stem using a section of PVC pipe as a "die" so to speak to slide over the steering stem. Just as soon as the bearing mated to the bottom triple the PVC broke. Fuck it. I got 4 more feet of it for the next 4 stem bearings. Then I mounted the front end. Just waiting on the top triple from someone COUGH COUGH RATFIGHTER COUGH.

I also started taking apart the rear suspension. The dogbone hardware is fecking FUSED to the swingarm so thats gonna need to be completely torn down so I can cut them off. thats all I did...

...What? what the fuck do you expect? I didnt wake up till noon and my home nurse didnt get here till 3 to take blood samples and change my IV dressing. gimme a feckin' break. Tomorrow if Im up to it Ill take another crack at the rear suspension. I still gotta figure out how Im gonna get the subframe made now that master Knifemaker87 has moved to another dojo. Been texting Him but no reply. Anyone heard from Him? Is He okay? Anyways I might stay up in Nova for a week or something so He can help me get everything I need done in one shot. Anyone in Northern Virginia wanna put me up(or put up with me) for a week?

Also I still need a lot of parts, and I dont even know if the engines gonna run. I still need a:

-Tail
-Oil cooler
-Headlight
-Front fender
-Chain and sprocets
-Battery
-and the big one, a kliktronics electronic shift kit

Im sure theres more, but thats the brunt of it. Thats al for now. Lemme know if youve got any of the above for sale, thanks.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Today was a big day. Using my "Grab-it" kit(BUYTHIS IS YOU DONT HAVE IT) and unfortunately breaking my most used bit in the process, I was able to remove those BULLSHIT self shearing security bolts that mount the ignition switch to the top triple tree:

Next like the analytical villian I am I moved onto the swingarm. The bolt that mounts the dogbones to the swingarm was stripped on both ends. So I got medieval and that ass:

Then I was finally able to install these:

UHHH NAH NAH NAHNAH:

So that makes the Busa rear end swap just about complete:

My next step is gonna be having a block made to shim the top shock mount out the way these two spacers do:

This is how the bike currently sits:

That ass:

The money shot:

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Didnt get anything massive done today. Just packed the bearings in the front end with mobil 1 bearing grease and realized that the steering was binding really bad. Turns out the 92 GSX-R600 has a completely different design for the steering stops than the 92 750. The stops on the 600 bottom triple I was using was interfering with both the head tube and the steering stops on the head tube. Spent my time in the shop grinding away at them. Now it turns smooth as glass. Thats all for now.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

No progress on the bike itself since last time. I've been focusing my efforts on getting my SV650 back on the road a little more lately. Just installed the modified stator with cover onto the donor engine and the prepped/primed a different stator cover in better shape to install later. Next time Im at the shop across town working I should have the old engine out and the new engine in.

Anyways as for this build, I've just been sourcing parts. If you follow me on Facebook you already know what headlight I just bought but the rest of you are gonna have to wait. I'll give you a hint, someones selling the same one here but I didnt buy it from him. I'll give you another hint, it's similar to the headlight on my SV650 that was in the 2012 buildoff, but definitely not the same. It's gonna look fucking insane and it's got 4 really solid mounting tabs that will make it super easy to mount fork tube brackets to. It will also probably be getting an HID kit installed.

I DID however buy Racing Geeks Aprilia RS125 race tail and He told me after I bugged the fuck out Him, that He'll be shipping it out today or sometime this week. It follows the lines of the gas tank perfectly and should look great on the bike. I really hope the tail and headlight compliment each other.

Still have quite a few parts I need to buy for it but I'm getting there. The bggest challenge now is gonna be making a subframe for the race tail now that Knifemaker87 has moved to Northern Va. and left my retarded ass here with my thumb up my butt. As far as this tail goes I'm totally lost without His help. I might have to make a trek up there with the bike very soon. What do you say Moss? You down?

Anyways that's it for now. Stay tuned for pics and progress. Thanks for looking.

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MY BROTHER GAVE ME A PAIR OF HID's! I didnt know He had them and He didnt like them so He took them out of His car after a few weeks. They look really nice. One will go in the top secret headlight I'm gonna use and the other wil probably go in the SV. AWESOME!

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Really nice weather out today. Had Roxy out there again keeping me company. She;s been working on a project of Her own. She picked up somethings scent around the tree next to the shop and has been digging for it for a couple days now. ROXY! What are you doing?!:

I was able to get a little more painting done. This time on the slingshot. Cleaned and primed the front sprocket cover. I don't think I wanna paint it yet until I know what color the bikes gonna be. Kinda don't wanna just paint it black, but at the same time I dont know if it will look good at all if its just this random part of the engine painted a totally different color than the rest of the engine even if its the same color as the bodywork. What do yall think?

I also got my RS125 tail today and mocked it up on the bike. I think it's gonna look REALLY good. You like?

I'm gonna need to find a taillight for it. I'd like something with integrated turn signals. So far I like the newer GSX-R taillights the best. Whatever it is it really needs to follow the point on the end of the tail. I don't know how its gonna sit, recessed or whatever either. Any suggestions there?

That's about it I think. Oh I also found my front fender and the front tip of it is warped somehow. Looks like it got melted from a heat source of some kind. Really weird. So I'm probably gonna chop it up and give it a little flare. It looks bulky and real plain anyways and since I'm using the stock front end I figure it could use some "flare". Thanks for looking and don't forget to head over to my discussion thread in my signature and give me your input!

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Over the past couple days I found my front fender, realized the front of it was warped from heat or chemicals and so I decided since the rest of it was fine with no broken tabs I would cut off the bad part and shape the front to match the point on the tail section. I made a stencil with a cereal box, traced with a silver sharpie and started cutting. I still want to round off the point just cause it'll match the tail better:

I also painted that funky Orange front sprocket cover. I decided just to bo with a gloss black and a few coats of clear. Duplicolor is the SHIT. FUCK RUSTOLEUM. Anyways I dont think I have a before picture but it turned out nice. I'm gonna need to seriously consider painting the rest of the engine. Especially after seeing Denver's work. Seeing His stuff is making me wanna step my game up a bit but I'm doing the best I can hopping on one leg goddamnit!!!

I think I still need to upload the finished product., I remember it looking shinier. Anyways the last thing I did was start ripping into my stock rearsets. Since no company makes aftermarket rearsets anymore and I don't wanna use ZX7 or ZX9 rearsets cause it'll make them sit higher up, I'm just gonna revamp these plain Janes. Here's my plans:

-Replace the stock foot pegs with "cooler" looking ones
-Use an aftermarket brake lever
-Have the existing triangular hole pattern thats in them enlarged a bit to make them look a little less hefty.
-All flat Black and raw metal color scheme. No more chrome for me.

That should be enough to get away with them looking a LOT cooler than they did from the factory. Here's my progress so far:

This was Black and beat up/rusty. Taking the wire wheel on my newly aquired bench grinder to it made me decide on the raw metal theme. Just gonna clear coat over this:

I fucking LOVE my bench grinder. Before and after or the lever mounting brackets:

Anyone got any good ideas on footpegs? Round ones would be great. Like on Vortex rearsets. Im sure other brands use them too. I'd like round ones is what I'm getting at. Anyone got a pair laying around in a toolbox somewhere?

That's it for now. Next time I'm in the shop I'm gonna take some pre0kleano(car dealership paint shops use it to clean parts before paint. I got the hookup :D) and clean em before priming and painting. Also gonna finish rounding that fender and prime it as well. I'm kinda stuck as far as the tail swap cause I gotta few more pieces to buy and then I gotta find a way for me and the bike to get up to Northern Virginia where Knifemaker87 is gonna save my ass again and make sure I dont weld a death trap to the frame. Anyways opinions are always helpful especially with these footpegs right now. Thanks for viewing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.