Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
SWEEEEET

And you need to invest in some tech sights for that AK, have em on mine and would have it no other way.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a lot of concerns with this build. Other than the frame and forks I'm really not sure what is good useable on this bike ESPECIALLY the engine. I've gotta get a hold of an nice oil cooler, one that can sufficiently cool an 1100 just in case it comes to that. I'm also concerned about the chrome wheels. They're pitted pretty bad in some spots so I don't know if I want to keep them or look for another set. I don't have any other reason to change the wheels other than the finish. It already has a nice 180/120 tires set up. At the same time I don't think I wanna spend the money getting them re-chromed or painting over heavy ass chrome rims. It's a quandary.

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
That an old Yosh header? Those things are gorgeous. The bit after the first bend is the "secondary" right? Shorter for low end power, long like those for top end screaming insanity... Over simplification of course

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one thats on it now? I have no idea. Now the one thats OFF the bike haha...still no fuckin clue man hahaha. I think its a kerker? It's got a sticker that says "KAL-GARD" so Kal-Gard coated it at some point but I still dont know the origin. If it's a Yosh than thats fuckin SWETT man cause I've got an era correct Yosh mid pipe and slip on to make to it so thatll be a nice pair with the carbs I have coming for it.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
itll get the rust out of it, but the hole itself will obviously still be there...
I'm sure I can get a good polish on all the parts. I'm really hoping the pitting wont be too bad.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
One post in and we're already side tracked from the build hahaha.
And that's how we do it!
If theres pitts in the chrome why not polish them up and offload em on ebay and get something different.

Pull the plugs on the motor kick it into gear and push, or slave whip someone while screaming MUSH MUUUUSHHHHHH YOU FILTHY MUTTT (ten points if its dumb blonde with big tits!) and see if the motor is seized up. If it spins then get a compression test on each cylinder. Even if it is all fubar, then everything from Katuna to gsxr motors will slot right in.

And from the looks of the rest of the bike, I would anticipate all new bushings and bearings in advance.

Still, lovely LOVELY frame on those, so much potential!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
So my buddy is coming next week I guess this means he's not bringing me gsxr750 with him

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah man I suppose youre right about the bearings and all that. I'll see how good these rims look after I polish em up. Depending on where I'm at with the build I might do a rear end swap. Kinda wanna see a 200mm rear tire on the back and a 140 on the front. I'm wondering if my current setup will allow it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hey you dont have to have that top triple milled out to be smooth. All you need to do it take JB weld and fill it all in to flush it to the bottom of it. Then you may need longer bolts but, plus side is it'll be stronger than however thick it will be when milled

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really dont like JB weld. It's rarely ever worked properly and I dont like the idea of having chunks of it breaking off over time and me having to start from scratch. What I'd like to do is have all the excess bracing milled out and just make some 1/4" thick plates cut out to fit inside the void.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As long as you clean it all up and scuff it up good enough it should hold as long as you make sure to force it into all of the corners

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll jkeep that in mind. Dont see it being easy at all drilling holes clean through with a mix of all the actual aluminum and JB weld. The problem with the bracing underneath is I'd be drilling into the very sides of either threads or bracing or whatever. I see the whole thing getting totally fucked up leaving the bracing underneath, with or without the JB weld.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Ah, i see what you asking about JB weld for, I used JB on my Duc forks and i had the same problem you described, it's a bit flaky and soft, i don't know if it wasn't mixed well enough or in large enough batches (i've read that there is a sort of critical mass thing where small qtys don't work properly)... The putty i used seems ok, but it isn't the main bracing area, i've used alu tube stock and i think that's a good compromise. If it was me using that triple i'd maybe try and cut away enough of the braces to put something like that in and fill all the rest. I'd do it with a dremel, patience and a pack of beers. But only because i'm too poor for machine work! If you can snag some work for cheap then getting it flat and a plate idea sounds good too, i wanted to work something like that out and there wasn't really enough space under the trip to justify it on mine.

Also my Dad brought me some stainless steel tubing. I wonder what this will be used for?
Are you going to be making your own subframe?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts