Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carb Klean 4 Dummies! by: Jay Garmon

This is my contribution to such a great site! Hope it helps at least one person.....

I figured I would go ahead and take pictures of my personal experience with it. Thanks tdah73! So this is my version... By the way, I used a 1995 Yamaha YZF600 for this tutorial... But you can basically follow the same method for other Carbed bikes!

• First thing you want to do is remove both seats
    Next remove the tank
    then remove the airbox
    then removed the throttle cables (there's 2 and mark which one is on top)
    then remove the choke cable
    you can leave the idle adjuster cable just dangling

With the carb laid out on the table. Number each one. Then, I used tin pie plates, (3 for a dollar) and numbered them to correspond to keep all of my parts seperate. See below!

Mark it on several angles because you will be flipping the whole unit around and can get thrown off...

then drain the bowls. You don't have to remove the screw completely, the gas will come out the drip hole....

now carefully remove each of the black plastic covers. The springs will come out as well....

i only used a screwdriver to point in this pic, you dont want to cut the boot with it... it will pull out with the needle and orange plastic space all together...

see....

now with them out you can see the jets from the bottom side... ang (gunk)

now flip over and remove the metal cover.... If you use the right size screwdriver, you won't have any problems stripping the heado f the screws.

this is a comparison of the 2 sizes of screwdrivers I used...

now view the buildup of grit and gunk.. careful to keep the rubber gasket in tack....

there's the brains...

when people say your carbs "gum up", they're not lyin!

remove screw, it comes in to phases...

there it is... its like surgery!

you may have to use a crescent wrench or small pair of pliers to keep the bottom from turning out with the top...

now you can take the bottom out...

now slide over one hole to the left and find your smaller flathead screwdriver to remove..

there it is!

now remove the screw at the hinge of the float...

carefully remove the float along with the float axle and the pendulum thingy.... (these are the pieces you will lose if your not careful.

now... take a look again at the gunk!

next remove the screw that holds down the valve..

I used the plier end of my wire crimps to wiggle it out...

now carry your but on the porch so your wife doesnt start bitchin and spray every nook, cranny, and hole with the carb cleaner. You may want to follow up with compressed air to be sure everything is blown out...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow.... the 25 pic limit messed up my how-to! O-well, here's the rest...

now take every little part (i did one tin pan at a time) and hold them carefully and spray through with the carb cleaner.. (use the straw!)

there's the parts (well, the carbs and tin pan #4 anyway) all CLEAN!

Now just put everything back like before and make sure your airbox is free of any debri..... After you put it all back, you want to let the fuel pump kick on for a sec before starting. You'll have to adjust your idle. Start it all the way out and work it up till its enough to start... Like my garage.. :roll:

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Nice job on the tutorial. I'm actually going to attempt this during the upcoming seek. The pics will help a lot!

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Drfinately a good tutorial BUT....one of the worst things a newbie can do is disassemble all 4 carbs at once. If you do, for gods sakes please keep them in seperate containers and don't mix up parts from carb 1 and carb 4....big no no...and one of the biggest mistakes for newbies and carbs, then they can't get any of them together properly....one at a time is your best option.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Exactly what I was gonna say. Good tutorial though man!

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
CdnStreetfighter said:
Drfinately a good tutorial BUT....one of the worst things a newbie can do is disassemble all 4 carbs at once. If you do, for gods sakes please keep them in seperate containers and don't mix up parts from carb 1 and carb 4....big no no...and one of the biggest mistakes for newbies and carbs, then they can't get any of them together properly....one at a time is your best option.
I definitely agree. I'm a newb when it comes to carb cleaning but that is my plan. One at a time!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CdnStreetfighter said:
that's why the very first pic shows and explains to have 4 seperate pie tins that are numbered and as you go down the line you take each part and put it in its tin. Pretty simple, I did exercises like that at narcotics anonymous..:D . I would hope even a newbie could handle that....

kokomochandler said:
do you have to know how many turns each screw sets in or just bottom them out ?
just tighten till it seats, and then like 1/8th of a turn for good measure...

sevenpointsixtwo said:
Cool tutorial, but OW my eyes. Do you know what the macro button (that little flower) on your camera is for?
UMMMMM.. check your monitor settings... I know what macro is but I dont use the "flower button" being that all of my setting are in "manual mode"..... I keep the flash off..... You can feel free to use "the flower power on your camera".... But I'll stick to my settings

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
YZFwants2FIGHT said:
UMMMMM.. check your monitor settings... I know what macro is but I dont use the "flower button" being that all of my setting are in "manual mode"..... I keep the flash off..... You can feel free to use "the flower power on your camera".... But I'll stick to my settings
just mentioning it because all the close-ups are blurry. Depending on what type of camera you use, the macro mode is independent of manual vs. auto modes, so it would allow for close focus even if you manually set the rest of the values. the 'flower' symbol signifies macro mode, so that button will turn it on or off. if the flash is off, it could be blurry because the exposure is too long and the camera or object moved. just a tip to let you get more detail in close-up shots!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sevenpointsixtwo said:
just mentioning it because all the close-ups are blurry. Depending on what type of camera you use, the macro mode is independent of manual vs. auto modes, so it would allow for close focus even if you manually set the rest of the values. the 'flower' symbol signifies macro mode, so that button will turn it on or off. if the flash is off, it could be blurry because the exposure is too long and the camera or object moved. just a tip to let you get more detail in close-up shots!

That was the hard pard was steadying my hand to take the pic while holding tools and the carbs.... I need to play with the macro setting, I have the Canon SD400.. Right now my memory card is reading "memory card error" and my cam is not turning on... just flashes that message on the lcd.... I dunno...

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Yep, with long(ish) exposures and no tripod, it's hard to get clean shots. In general if I need an exposure longer than 1/10 I try to find something solid to prop against or use a tripod. With those little cameras it's tough cos the aperture only goes so high and the ISO isn't great, so blurry pics are common without flash. macro's great for close ups, but again the limitations of the lens define how good itll look in the end. not like tutorial pics need to be perfect or anything.

I dunno about the memory card, that thing uses SD mem right? clean the connectors with some alcohol wipes, or try reformatting the card from your computer if you have a reader. If you have a few SD cards lying around, swap them out and try others as well, see whether its the card or the camera.

(I'm a photo dork, can you tell? :D)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts