Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Got a start this weekend. Changed the forks seals in the 01 R1 Forks. Wish I would have taken more photos, but I forgot to take some during the process. The first one took about two hours, however, the second took less than 30 min. I also got the R1 Lower triple primed and sanded. I will not be using the stem, so I didnt care to cover it up.

I will Post more as the process continues, the next step is the tear down, but until then I will post up other small advances I make along the way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Removed the front end last night, having the stems swapped out this weekend. Thank God I have a fixed gear bike, I was able to remove the bearing lock nuts with my rear cog remover for my bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had my stems pressed out this weekend. It went ok, had to put heat on them before they would pop out. Gonna have to repaint the lower triple, and almost caught the poor guys press on fire, :fu:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered a new rear fairing, it should be in Friday or Monday. Going with a race fairing, I think it will look good on it. It has some damage and will need some body work. I went this route as of now due to the lack of tools, experience, and needed to keep at my budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Received my new tail section yesterday. Needs a lot of body work but I think it will look pretty good. Tonight and tomorrow I plan to remove the motor and take it to my in-laws so we can change the transmission hopefully in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I like it! Needs a lot of work; it has been laid down before on the left side and has a flat rash spot. Also, not sure what the holes were for, braces maybe? Got the forks on temporarily in order to remove the motor. Still not sure if I want to paint the frame black or leave it as is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ran into a few snags but finally dropped the motor this weekend. I snapped a few photo during the process, mainly for reference. Next step is hauling the motor to my father-in-laws on Christmas. Hopefully the transmission swap goes smoothly. Until then I am going to try smooth out the rear fairing and prep it for paint.

Oh yeah I dented me tank! :( It could be touched up and covered with a tank pad, but I guess that gives me a reason to repaint it all maybe.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Finished removing throttle cables and unplug remaining cables including the starter motor lead. Order a pair of Pro Taper 1 1/8" riser bar mounts and they are supposed to be here today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sanded the paint off the tail last night with some 80 grit sandpaper. I have a few holes to fill along with the flat spot on the left side. There is also a spot on the top that seems to have had some mounting tape on it at one time and I will need to figure out how to get that off. Overall its in decent shape.

Loaded the motor up in the back of the car last night to have my father-in-law help me with the transmission. Will get a start on it this weekend, however, my main goal is to drill out security bolts to switch ignition switches on the triples, and drill the holes for the handlebar mounts. Any advice on this? As you can see on the below photo, this is the layout of my top yoke. There are the two smaller holes that, I am assuming, was used for the clip ons. I was planning on drilling these out. Anyone object?

Also, after thinking about the paint and other choices, below are my inspirations. I will do my best to achieve half as good of quality of these two bikes. They did a great job, hopefully my budget will allow me to get those TKC 80s, I love those.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It got real this past Saturday. Took awhile to figure it out but I got it hung upside down perfectly.

Removed the oil pan.

Removed the remaining covers, including the clutch. Wish I had more pictures here, I had to remove the clutch in order to remove the chain the drives the water and oil pump.

So when I purchased the bike the owner gave me a transmission from an 08 R6, claiming it is a straight drop. Well it wasn't! As you can see I have the transmission torn apart, that is the original. To the left another transmission, an 08. The shaft sizes, gears, and shift arm are much different. Apparently transmissions 03-07 R6 will swap. 08-09 R6S will swap, not 08-09 R6.

I went to the Yamaha shop to order parts. On their website it was going to cost around $190 for the two gears, which seemed a little high. When I got there they gave me a total of $290. For two gears!!!! So I ended up finding them online and some other items for $130.

FYI...... 2cd and 6th gear tie in together and the dogs on the 2cd gear are extremely worn and I can make them slip with the twisting pressure from my hands.

Should have it done as soon as the parts come in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it broken down to the frame and swing arm only. Next step will be cleaning the frame real well, taping off a few things, and painting it. I was going to use bed liner, however, on the triple I used black wheel paint and it turned out great in my opinion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Received the new gears this weekend. Reassembled the transmission and put it back in the engine. Here are a few pics of the old gears. you can see the dogs on the second gear are extremely worn. On the sixth gear you can see the wear marks were the dogs jumped out of the gear.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received my handlebars in the mail! I got a few parts painted up this weekend, they look pretty good. This Saturday the motor will be finished as far as the transmission goes. I still will need to adjust the valves and paint one more piece from the motor.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New exhaust came in, Dan Moto XG-1. Package nice and looks great. I am worried about no back pressure with this exhaust. I guess the split in the exhaust will create some back pressure to keep the engine from being harmed. Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking!:rock:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the transmission rebuild completed this weekend and everything seems to shift correctly. Waiting for a few gaskets to come in and then I will bolt the remaining covers on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Got some new stuff in the mail today! FZ6 brake lines, new tail light with integrated blinkers, new throttle cables, and hand guards.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I received my new HID H4 6000k bulbs in today. Before I had 2 H3 8000K HID bulbs in my Cyclops Headlight. I ran thick gauge wire from the battery to the ballast. I had the stock low and high beam wired up to a relay. From the relays I had them wired to the ballast. Because they were not Dual HID bulbs I had 1 bulb on for the low beam, and for the high beam I put a one way Diode from the low beam relay to the high beam relay. This allowed both bulbs to run when switched to high beam. My new bulbs are dual HID bulbs, with the low bulb as a standard halogen. I am going to re-wire the halogen bulbs to the stock low beam cables, and because I have the diode wired up to run both ballast I should be able to wire the HID bulbs straight up. Thus resulting in both halogens to run when low beams switched on, and both HIDs to light up with high beams on. Below are the bulbs I purchased.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts