Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, the obligatory Hello.

Thanks in advance for creating this community and this oasis of information in the sea of noise that is the internet. And, most of all, thank you for any help and advice you have to offer me now or in the future.

A quick run down on my situation.
I was planing on getting a naked (standard) bike and not on building a street fighter.
I currently own a 2003 cbr 600rr. I've actually owned it for all of 36 hours and it was a gift from my boys. It had been dropped by its previous owner but, minus a little road rash on the right side its clean as could be.

So of course day 1 was all about maintenance. Oil, coolant, fuel, chain and sprocket lubed and cleaned, everything I could think of. So of couse while I had the right side plastic off to do the work, I decided to take off the rest just to see what it looks like until I can figure out what to do next.

I've never done any work to modify a bike before and I must admit I wasn't expecting all of the wiring i found leading up to the front fairing. There were three separate looms in all. A large grey and equal blue one were together on the lower left side and a smaller black one was attached to the back of my gauge cluster which is a stock unit.

So, I'll be riding this baby naked but I don"t know if all this wiring means the cpu is in the front fairing or what because that seams like way to much wiring just for some lights. My question is what do i need to take out of the front fairing and relocate to the bike to keep it running if I discard everything in front of the trees?

All I know right now is that if I disconnect them, the bike is dead.

My plan is for a really simple bike. I've already removed all the plastic in front of and around the tank. I'll be adding some thick and wide dirt bike bars, a new front light, grips and shorty levers, braided lines, frame sliders, 15/45 sprockets, a 520 or 525 chain, a soft seat for my old a** , and eventually either a rattle can paint job or vinyl wrapping since a buddy of mine who does tint and detail wants to try it.

Anyway, any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

P.S. No pictures yet, but I'll be setting up an account with photobucket or whoever asap.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
You need to get a manual or at least a good PDF of the wiring diagram. That'll show what everything is where it goes so that way you can remove stuff. The next thing you'll need is a sauntering gun so you trim the loom. You'll be tucking the loom inside the frame to hide it and all the extra wire on the front you cut out whatever portion you don't need and put it back together.

There are a couple f2-3 builds on here use the search feature to find some builds that'll let you see others did it.

That's all the help you're getting out of till you put pics up I love naked F3s

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Link1 | Link2 | Link3

There you go bud. You'll definitely find something under Link3.
Even the most experienced guys would have a headache coming their way
when going in blind with just a tester. It's never a bad idea to also get a manual for all the upcoming
mods. Those torque settings along with a gazillion other stuff will surely come in handy. It's one of
those things that's worth the 20-30 bucks and not the best place to cheap out and say "Eh, there's
surely something on the internet".

Now, then ... :ttiwwop:

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
At the very least you're looking at connections for the lights, gauges, and ignition/security in the front fairing. It's also possible that you've got the wiring for the switches up there. Like everyone else said, get a manual and take your time. Once you get comfortable with where things are on the bike, modifying it becomes much less intimidating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, thank you all very much for the warm welcome and pointing me in the right direction.

I've downloaded a wiring diagram from the internet and have a complete manual on order along with a few parts.

Here are some pics of the bike with plastic removed. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures until after I had removed the damaged plastic.

The blue and grey looms I speak of are in the bottom right corner of the third pic.

Anyway, I have a new business to build and my wife was just orderd to work from home starting yesterday so, my work rate on this prject is going to be a little slower than I would like. I'm not doing any real fab work though so things should progress pretty quickly once all the parts arrive. Between a baby due in may and the parts coming in for this bike, I'll be having christmas in spring this year. Life is good.

G

·
I'm not sure if this model/year has the tilt sensor fitted but if it does just make sure you get it tucked away securely & the right way up otherwise you will be chasing your tail trying to find out why it wont start

Oh & welcome :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts