Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've changed my CCT in this and I don't have that specific rattle in my engine anymore, but I have this one still going on, which sounds different.

This guy commented on my video saying my valves are needing adjusting, +1 to him for getting me to look up what all that entails, and I'm willing to go in and measure them because its part of the bikes maintenance, but looking at typical symptoms for maladjusted valves, this ticking is nowhere to be found.

My only other current suspicion is that the exhaust downpipes have gotten loose somehow and they're rattling at the head.

Any proper guidance that you all can offer me? Thanks in advanced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJbjIJRW7M

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would definitely check your valves. How many miles? You can check your chain while your at it. It's not too difficult, just bring some paper and a pen to write down all your measurements.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
From what I can hear from the video I'd say that's a valve knock. Go buy an engine stetoscope, they're not that expensive usually, and poke around the valve cover when the engine is idling, a knocking valve will be very clear to hear.

Cam chain could be stretched too much.

It would be wise to pull the covers and and check things out/adjust tappets.
Only the 1000f has screw tappets, all the 600:s are, AFAIK, shimmed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas I'm gonna go ahead and check my valves as the bike has 28k miles on it and the previous owners didn't do much to it to take care of it.
I actually didn't hear it today when I started it and let it warm up so I took it for a ride and it sounded fine. My fuel air mix sounds a bit off though I'm thinking about adjusting that and re-tuning the carbs, maybe also clean them. Just so much to do and so little time -_-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts