Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Frankenbike builder
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/4859094760.html

Just got this. Needs, um, everything. Motor servicable and will start with lots of cursing and threatening. Carbs need complete and total overhaul, to say the least. Really, this is a frame- off project- with the Hawaii crud all over it, everywhere, Got it super cheap- most importantly- with clear papers!

Is it okay on this forum thread to ask if folks post pics of similar bikes all customed out so I can get some inspiration to work on it?

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Pics are always welcome on CF. Awesome find by the way! :party-smiley:

GS air cooled picture thread, might find some inspiration in there:
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18384

Seems the standard swaps include, modern forks from a GSXR, 17 inch GSXR wheels, and updated engines swapped in, usually air/oil Bandit/GSXR affair. Most wheel swaps require bearings and center sleeves between the bearings to be swapped out for the correct axle sizes. Fork swaps may require stems to be pressed in and out to match up correct length, and engine swaps are pretty strait forward, not alot needs to be done to bolt up the bigger A/O engines that are not only reliable as the original, but visually slimmer at the bottom of the cases.

G

·
That's a great start as all the bits you really need are there, they are a very underated engine IMHO the best air cooled 750 Suzuki ever made in a good chassis, the 16" front wheel takes a little getting used too & the rear shock will probably be useless by now unless its been replaced recently & the bearings tend to seize

Mine last ES had stood outside for 3 years & all I had to do to get it running well was a basic service a very quick carb clean & stick a battery on it I later went down the route of bandit 12 front end complete a bandit rear wheel & twin shocks I also used bandit/gsxr downpipes & a 1980's Yoshi can for a nice howl :)

As Ratfighter says there are plenty of later gsxr & bandit bits that are an easy fit with minimal work & I have done quite a few over the years but personally I would leave the motor stock if its a good one, they really are that good

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Running bike with clean papers for $200...? Score!
Haha... My $200 Craigslist bike had neither of those boxes checked. =P

But it does look like quite the undertaking... You can tell it lived outdoors.
Should be a fun project, good luck, can't wait to see where this goes!

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Message MrMcTavish. He has a gs700 that he has modified a little. I think a Katana front end and rear wheel were the only big changes but it really changed the look of the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts