Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend tell me the other day he was getting rid of a few of his bikes.
He said he wanted $500 for the 955 if I knew anyone that wanted it.
(after getting the title I found out it is actually a 98 T595 Daytona)
I of course immediately told him I would take it.
He had picked it up from a neighbor that could not get it running after letting it sit for a while.
My friend drained the fuel and got it running, but it would idle at about 3000RPMs.
The bike already had no fairing in front, and someone had converted the headlights to 2 projector beams.
He took the tail off to make his own since the stock one looked huge without the fairing in front to balance the look.
This is where he stopped and it sat...

I got the bike home Wednesday night, so yesterday I took a look at it and of course found the IACV hoses dried, split, cracked, and falling off.
So immediately ran to the store and got some hose to repair that.
I'm guessing that will fix the high idle as everything I have read yesterday about high idle points to a bad hose, and all 3 were definitely bad.

I am trying to decide what kind of tail to put on here.. I was looking at Early to mid 2000's GSXR 1000 tails,
looked at a few Ducati tails, the cheapest way looks to be around a 2004 CBR600RR tail..

Anyway, here is a photo of the bike where I picked it up

When we got home, it was late and I had not cleared a spot in the garage for it
So my wife suggested I put it in the house, in the spare room for now.
I think I have the worlds most understanding wife..

And this is not the first time she let me do this (Even the same room)
She's a keeper :)

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
...cannot....resist....a bad....pun....

:D

Subbed. Interesting to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Today I got to put her back together, tried to start it, and it would just turn over.
Pulled a fuel line and no fuel pressure. Checked and am getting voltage for a few seconds when I turn on the key, but nothing coming out.

Pulled the fuel pump out, and replaced the rotted hoses between pump and filter. Put it back in and applied 12 volts to it, little sporadic dribble.. Ordered a new pump.. Hopefully that will be all that is needed.

I also ordered a new tail... Went with a 2003-2004 CBR600RR tail.

Here's a few photos of it outside with the tank in place.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do, lol.

Started mounting the tail today. Lower legs of the rear subframe were already cut off..
cut about 1/2 the length off of the uppers part of the subframe..
Mounted some redesigned lowers, and it now has a seat!

Still need to finish mounting plastic and install taillight, then make filler piece to go between tank and tail,
Then make a battery box, and hang the relays, etc.. but it's starting to look like a bike again

Still dont know what to do for a headlight. I also found out the tires are pretty dry rotted from sitting, and it needs front brake pads, so add those to the list

This is the final positioning of the seat and tail

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
What`s that baja bug thingy in the background?!

Reactions: RedLiner

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What`s that baja bug thingy in the background?!

That is a 37 Ford Tudor Sedan. Picked up the body only (no frame, floors, etc) for $100. Then picked up a 4x4 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $300. Made my own frame and made the two into one.

I want it to look like it just rolled out of a Mad Max movie :rock:

I need some updated photos.. I added some "running boards" out of 2" tube, flat steel, and expanded metal that ties the fenders together.. But these were the last progress pics.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Cool builds, both!

Have you tried lifting that Triumph exhaust? Shockingly heavy, it's a stainless can built like to a quality level like a Chinese car exhaust, with a carbon skin over it. Also the perf tube in the middle has overly big holes, so the fibre glass will be long gone and they're not really repackable.

I'd like to see it with a proper old school 8" chrome round headlight. IDGAF if it's bindun, it looks great and will allow you to actually see where you're going at night.

Reactions: CK 187

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good looking bike!

I do like the big single round headlight, and may go that route.
(have a temporary one in the mail, but I like that 8" better and might switch to that)

Last week I threw some new tires on it.

Today I was able to finally finish up the tail, battery holder, wiring, taillight etc.
Cut down some 600RR side panels to fill the gap between the new tail and tank.
Zip tied on the crappy headlight that came with the bike, (didnt bother wiring it) and took her for a quick spin.

First time I ever put her in gear.. It ran great!!!

Can't wait to finish this one up and ride
Just waiting on a new speedo cable and headlight to arrive, then it's rideable

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the bike wrapped up, and on the road.
(don't mind the big silly paper plate, it's a 10 day temporary until I get an inspection)

Had a couple kinks that I have worked out now.
Wrong style relay in headlamp socket that was draining battery, and had a fuel line split. Got them all fixed and put a few miles on her this morning.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/entr...955 fighter 3_zps7b1cqukl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
Got the bike wrapped up, and on the road.
(don't mind the big silly paper plate, it's a 10 day temporary until I get an inspection)

Had a couple kinks that I have worked out now.
Wrong style relay in headlamp socket that was draining battery, and had a fuel line split. Got them all fixed and put a few miles on her this morning.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/entr...955 fighter 3_zps7b1cqukl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
I'm a fan. Damn good deal and nice fucking work

Fellow NC resident

1 - 15 of 15 Posts