Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after a lot of what I like to call "planning" it's time to start my conversion to a fighter. I got this bike about 2 years ago as a starter bike. It's been good to me but I'm bored of the normalness. I actually started on this a few days ago and wasn't going to do a thread but thought maybe someone might be interested as I go along. As I go I'd love any criticism or input anyone has to offer. My creativity can only go so far...
This is what I started with, a perfectly good full fairing bike.....

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388969687.069576.jpg

After I got it in the garage I started to strip her down

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388969817.959374.jpg

Now that she's naked I went to work with the sawsall on the subframe. I want to focus on the tail first because to me that's what makes or breaks a good looking bike

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388969956.523792.jpg

Ok now that that's all caught up i can talk about where I'm at currently. I've chopped the subframe down to basically the front seat and started to toy with some design ideas with cardboard and whatnot. Here comes a lot more thinking....

Here are some of the ideas I was throwing around. Tell me what you think!

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388970138.658888.jpg
I don't like this one a whole lot because from the top it just looks too flat and big and idk just off so then I went to this one....

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388970198.392966.jpg

Sort of the same thing but more rolled and less "stinger looking" according to my girlfriend. (She's already pissed cuz I cut off her seat, don't like taking passengers anyway). But anywho that's where I'm at right now. Just brainstorming. I'll be fabbing it out of sheet metal or fiberglass one. More to come soon!

Oh and as you may be wondering about my other plans for the bike I'm thinking a wave headlight, belly pan, and maybe a couple other little things here and there. Easy stuff as I am not very experienced and have a very limited budget. Thanks for checkin it out!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pipe is going to a shorty for sure! I was also thinking about taking it up closer to the tail sort of like a Ducati pipe if any of you can see the picture I have in my head haha having a hard time with the tail. Metal is tweaked and somehow one side is off. Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you probably can't tell but I got some bending and fitting done to the tail. All it lacks is an undertail and some body work. Honestly I was leaning towards fiberglass but I think I like this one so much I might leave it steel. Might sound crazy but hell I'm kind of crazy myself. Can't really tell in the picture but the tail does curve into the bike. Looks even better in person! ImageUploadedByMO Free1389756680.337870.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well got the undertail all welded up last night. Turned out pretty bad ass I think. Lot of body work to do on it before it's ready for any paint. Next step is the headlight and gauge I think. Need a good gauge that will just wire right up. Probably going to go with a simple wave headlight.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1389970464.073341.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1389970487.029135.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1389970497.045216.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been awhile since I updated. Been working on body work on my tail. It's at work I'll get some pics up tomorrow probably. Decided on a really over used, common headlight. Going with an LSL. I know I know everyone has one. But they just look so damn good. More to come!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well got some wiring tucked in today. Felt good to get something accomplished. Starting to wonder if I'm going to have to relocate my ignition for my headlight. Slow progress is at least better than no progress ImageUploadedByMO Free1391559066.859367.jpg

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Just an idea, but why don't you cut the bottom brace on your subframe, and bring it up to meet the top brace? It'll make the tail slimmer, and more streamlined to look at from the side. As it sits now, it kinda looks like a cheese grater with a seat on top...you can curve the bottom of the undertail, and make it "swoosh" or flow better...just my opinion...looks good so far! \m/

Sent from my FingerFookin device a.k.a. smart phone.

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
I would also chop the top of the tail to match the height of your tank...it was make they symmetry look more aligned...keep it up, DW!!!!

Sent from my FingerFookin device a.k.a. smart phone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't want to cut the subframe anymore than I already have due to limited time and no access to a tig. Trust me I was really close to making a complete new subframe. Plus I didn't wanna mess with relocating the battery and making a new seat and all that good stuff. The tail isn't as tall as it looks but it is kinda tall. I might cut it down but I like the way it looks. Good suggestions though I like just hearing opinions on it as I go.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started to wire up the new headlight tonight. Went really well until I realized I grabbed the wrong relay. Shit. Going from two H7s to an H4. Easy to do if I can find the damn relay. Nobody has one where I live apparently. Oh well I'll get it figured out. Sorry no pics to update quite yet.

I did decide on a matte color. Not black. Maybe y'all can help. It's gonna be either,

Gunmetal
White
Desert tan (just seems cool and different)

So like I said all flat colors, no gloss. Let me know what y'all think!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Gun metal...

But the tan... lol...

I'd like to see it before I would say no. Could be ok with the right color accents...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tan is definitely kind off off lol but I think that's why I like the idea of it? If I did that the accents would be black but idk how it would look. Maybe that's why nobody does it. Haha gunmetal is always a good option

Here's what I was thinking with the tan

ImageUploadedByMO Free1392002388.947767.jpg

Obviously not the vehicle just for color reference

1 - 20 of 54 Posts