Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
GO FAST
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so go to ride today yay it was a hot 44*f here but i got home and my temp was at 199*f. So me being me i let it run to see if my fan would kick on well it didnt it got up to 211*f. So took the bike around the block and got it down to 180 then shut it off. I pulled the plug hooked to clips up to it and supplied power and the fan kicked on. Now when i shut the bike off i get a chec where the temp is. But this is the first time i have ever got the bike over 175*f. Any ideas of what could be the problem or anyone know when the fan kicks on. I know on my 00 srad 600 the fan would come on at 190*f. thanks for the help

·
Registered
740 Posts
Most bikes I've seen have thermo switches set to kick on somewhere between 210-220. Usually the temp warning trips somewhere around 230-240. You might not have let it get hot enough.

It's fairly rare for those switches to go bad but not unheard of. If you want to test it pull it out, clip leads to a multimeter on ohms, and drop it in a pot of water at a rolling boil. Within a few seconds the meter should show very low to 0 ohms. Since you know the fan is fine, and the plug has power, the switch is the only other thing in the circuit.

It's also common to install a switch in parallel with the temp sensor so you can short it and power the fan whenever you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.